E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Clutch Gone BAD!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

Well the ineviable happened today! My clutch on my SMG this mornning. I have it @ a friend of mine shop, in plainview the exxon station, and thank god it's only going to cost $700 (plus labor) for a stock clutch. Still less than an extended warrenty, and ALOT less than any dealer, with dealer quality service.

I was thinking to upgrade, like you would do on a manual. Lighter flywheel, high performance clutch etc. etc.

But I don't know if they have them for an SMG. Can anyone please advise?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by SMG353' post='526365' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:23 PM
Well the ineviable happened today! My clutch on my SMG this mornning. I have it @ a friend of mine shop, in plainview the exxon station, and thank god it's only going to cost $700 (plus labor) for a stock clutch. Still less than an extended warrenty, and ALOT less than any dealer, with dealer quality service.

I was thinking to upgrade, like you would do on a manual. Lighter flywheel, high performance clutch etc. etc.

Plainview is pretty close to me. I loved my SMG. Since the cars computer controls the timing, progressive engagement, shift speed, etc., I'm not sure where the input data is coming in from thats get interpreted by the computer which in turn controls the clutch. Also, not many people have experience with SMG tranny's and that includes the dealers.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Members

damn that sucks, how many miles did you have on your ride when it happened?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya how come your clutch went out so fast? I'm curious too.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

Originally Posted by illjay' post='526460' date='Feb 2 2008, 10:19 PM
damn that sucks, how many miles did you have on your ride when it happened?

I have 62k miles on it, adn it's not like a manual where you can feel when it's going.....I put it in 1st the rpm went up, but the car didn't go anywhere. Reved it a few times, adn if it was cool enough it would catch, and when it did it jerked the entire car and lauched. If you didn't keep a steady slow acceleration, you would lookse gear, adn nto go anywhere just roll.

All messed up.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 545iS SMG, Black on Brown... Carbon Grille. Navi. PDC. Htd Seats. HUD... Sunshades. Logic7. All Packages. 20%front-5%back........ ETC............................... Coming Soon: MTEC full kit, some wheels. ACS rear carbon spoiler. NAV TV.

Tell us how much it will cost you in the end? I have around 55k milles it start to scarying me Did you asked your dealer how much it'll cost?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by SMG353' post='526365' date='Feb 2 2008, 06:23 PM

Glad to hear the cost is not outragious. How many auto launch's have you done in the 60K miles you have?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by imposss' post='527074' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:36 AM
Tell us how much it will cost you in the end? I have around 55k milles it start to scarying me Did you asked your dealer how much it'll cost?
I will keep you informed on price. Dealer was asking $2200......
Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='527115' date='Feb 4 2008, 01:09 PM
Glad to hear the cost is not outragious. How many auto launch's have you done in the 60K miles you have?

Quite a few, I dont' think I can exacltly remeber.......but when the jerks as you accellerate, that means that your clutch is starting to go...
Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='526498' date='Feb 3 2008, 01:31 AM
Ya how come your clutch went out so fast? I'm curious too.
O idea........i read about the car a while back, they say it's expected but they dont know why.

Quick Reply: SMG Clutch Gone BAD!!!!