E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG car still not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Bad news. Car stuck again this morning. A little different. This time it was stuck in neutral and it started but I could not get it INTO gear. So I was stuck again anyway. I tried to restart the car but then it got stuck in first and stayed that way, and of course it would not start.
Hopefully it starts in the morning so I can drive it in, since they can't flatbed it in gear. I called the dealer and told them that I have been very patient thus far but this has gotten old, I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette every time I try to start it.
I will keep you posted.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

I'd think about lemon lawing this if the dealer cannot fix it. That is not acceptable on a car as new and costing as much as this one.

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Aug 22 2005, 06:24 PM
Bad news. Car stuck again this morning. A little different. This time it was stuck in neutral and it started but I could not get it INTO gear. So I was stuck again anyway. I tried to restart the car but then it got stuck in first and stayed that way, and of course it would not start.
Hopefully it starts in the morning so I can drive it in, since they can't flatbed it in gear. I called the dealer and told them that I have been very patient thus far but this has gotten old, I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette every time I try to start it.
I will keep you posted.
[snapback]162213[/snapback]
Old 08-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 555' date='Aug 22 2005, 09:17 PM
I'd think about lemon lawing this if the dealer cannot fix it.? That is not acceptable on a car as new and costing as much as this one.
[snapback]162225[/snapback]
Yeah, especially when most of us SMG owners don't have that problem...I'd say your car fits the definition of a lemon pretty perfectly!
Old 08-22-2005, 08:14 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Aug 22 2005, 07:24 PM
I will keep you posted.
[snapback]162213[/snapback]
Dang! Sounds like a nightmare. Time to file the lemon law and call in the pros at the same time. This is obviously beyond the dealer's ability to repair.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I read through the NY Lemon Law document. It covers cars strickly for personal use, BMW can check tax returns and if you write anything off concerning the car it not for personal use. I am in commercial real estate and I write off a portion of my car, so I can't use the Lemon Law. I guess I could threaten to use it as my dealer doesn't know if I write off my car or not.
I got my car started this morning and dropped it off at the dealer. They previously changed the brake light switch, SMG control unit, updated the SMG software- I think they are changing the Hydraulic pumps today. I asked them to contact a BMWNA engineer and get him/her directly involved, they agreed. They have already PUMA'd this before. Other than going Postal, is there anything else I can do?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You probably already know this but just in case, I think going postal is the last thing you should do. It'll only get you nowhere fast. I think you're doing the right thing by making sure the dealer is using PUMA, etc. I don't know if it would help but you might want to call BMWNA and let them know what's been going on. Again, as long as you're calm and patient, I think everyone will try to work with you toward resolution of this frustrating problem...
Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 AM
JDN
Contributors

Wow, that's not much of a lemon law. Texas lemon law has no restrictions and 30 days with the car in for repairs in two years, IIRC, qualifies for a court hearing for replacement or sell it back to BMW. I agree with Rudy, that it is best to work within the system. Being firm, but not belligerent, can bring results. Getting an engineer from BMW NA should solve the problem. Sorry for your misery.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributors

I agree, I have been very patient and calm. My dealer is always very accommodating and the owner of the dealer is also at my Golf Club (I have not called him yet). I love the SMG, but unfortunatley my dealer has only sold and is servicing one SMG E60, mine.
The car has been very fun to drive.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Just got the call, they are replacing the transmission. SHould have it at the end of the week.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Aug 23 2005, 02:19 PM
Just got the call, they are replacing the transmission. SHould have it at the end of the week.
[snapback]162521[/snapback]
wow, good luck finally, please keep us informed....btw, which dealer do you use on LI? Im gonna be another SMG car from an LI dealer once the SMG production resumes in the fall...

Quick Reply: SMG car still not starting.