E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Adjustment Period

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic SMG, Black Nasca Leather, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Ventilated Seats, Sat Radio, Split Folding Rear Seats

10,000 miles? I have driven a lot of miles in a traditional manual, and loved it, do you still think 10k miles to get used to SMG?
Old 01-24-2005, 04:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545 smg sport, black sapphire, beige dakotah interior, poplar trim, cold weather pkg, comfort ventilated seats, logic 7 premium sound, nav, hud, sunshades, fold-down rear seats, satellite radio

purth, For what it's worth, I got used to mine in just a couple of weeks. There is no other transmission I would own. The key is accepting that it will never be as "smooth" as an automatic and, given the speed of the shifts, not quite as smooth as a manual.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by purth01' date='Jan 24 2005, 12:16 AM
10,000 miles?? I have driven a lot of miles in a traditional manual, and loved it, do you still think 10k miles to get used to SMG?
[snapback]82375[/snapback]
No, it doesn't take that long to "get used to SMG." I was referring to the fact that even after that many miles, you can still learn new things or play around with different timing, etc. It's so much fun to drive that I never stop having fun with it!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

For upshifting, see the posts above.

For downshifting, this is how I do it. I usually let the computer downshift by itself. Before I gas it again, I down shift once. The computer usually shift only at the point of lugging, so down shifting once will put you in a better gear. If the car comes to a complete intended stop, ie: stop signs, traffic lights..etc , you'll automatic start in 1st anyway.

The above mentioned proceedure is by no means the perfect way. I do it because it reliefs me from having to look at which gear I am all the time.
Do share on how you do it.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

I never let the car downshift for me. In addition, as much as I'd love to see a gear display in the HUD, I'm finding that I rarely need to see what gear I'm in -- the "feel" of the car is what I focus on these days...
Old 01-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2005 5-series

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 24 2005, 10:39 AM
I never let the car downshift for me.? In addition, as much as I'd love to see a gear display in the HUD, I'm finding that I rarely need to see what gear I'm in -- the "feel" of the car is what I focus on these days...
[snapback]82500[/snapback]
Yes, I agree, you have to hear and feel where the car is (gear) which is better than always looking to see what gear you are in. Long a go, this is what I used to do when I have a manual, 5 speed. Also, I found it better to downshift instead of letting the car downshift for you. When I test drove the 645i with SMG, the downshifts occurred at about 800-1000rpms which for me is too low. I like to downshift about 2000rpms. Also, I found it easier to leave the car in 2nd gear when coming to a stop and then starting out from the stop in 2nd. The car comes out of a complete stop more smoothly but slower. So, if you are not racing, starting from 2nd gear is preferrable for me.

As far as, getting used to SMG, I was already getting the hang of it with the second time around the block during my test drive. If you have driven a manual, it will become intuitive to you. Once you master the upshifts and downshifts are easy. I did notice that you have to give the system 1 second or so to shift in normal, manual mode. During that time you will notice the rpms decrease until it picks up the next gear. So, you have to make sure your revs are high to start with (2800rpms) and then it loses about 400rpms to give you about 2400rpms on the next gear. If you shift below 2000rpms you will not have enough torque and will drag the engine. I think you'll have fun with it, I did and I am looking forward to receiving mine in about a month from now, hopefully.

Leonard.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic SMG, Black Nasca Leather, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Ventilated Seats, Sat Radio, Split Folding Rear Seats

Originally Posted by a061444' date='Jan 24 2005, 01:09 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Jan 24 2005, 10:39 AM']I never let the car downshift for me.? In addition, as much as I'd love to see a gear display in the HUD, I'm finding that I rarely need to see what gear I'm in -- the "feel" of the car is what I focus on these days...
[snapback]82500[/snapback]
Yes, I agree, you have to hear and feel where the car is (gear) which is better than always looking to see what gear you are in. Long a go, this is what I used to do when I have a manual, 5 speed. Also, I found it better to downshift instead of letting the car downshift for you. When I test drove the 645i with SMG, the downshifts occurred at about 800-1000rpms which for me is too low. I like to downshift about 2000rpms. Also, I found it easier to leave the car in 2nd gear when coming to a stop and then starting out from the stop in 2nd. The car comes out of a complete stop more smoothly but slower. So, if you are not racing, starting from 2nd gear is preferrable for me.

As far as, getting used to SMG, I was already getting the hang of it with the second time around the block during my test drive. If you have driven a manual, it will become intuitive to you. Once you master the upshifts and downshifts are easy. I did notice that you have to give the system 1 second or so to shift in normal, manual mode. During that time you will notice the rpms decrease until it picks up the next gear. So, you have to make sure your revs are high to start with (2800rpms) and then it loses about 400rpms to give you about 2400rpms on the next gear. If you shift below 2000rpms you will not have enough torque and will drag the engine. I think you'll have fun with it, I did and I am looking forward to receiving mine in about a month from now, hopefully.

Leonard.
[snapback]82506[/snapback]
[/quote]
Leonard,

Your vehicle is on track with mine, did you find out what ship your ride is supposed to be on? I know mine was at the port of exit on Friday. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by a061444' date='Jan 24 2005, 01:09 PM
Also, I found it easier to leave the car in 2nd gear when coming to a stop and then starting out from the stop in 2nd.? The car comes out of a complete stop more smoothly but slower.? So, if you are not racing, starting from 2nd gear is preferrable for me.
[snapback]82506[/snapback]
That's true but if you leave the car in second, it will take it down to first by itself so in order to start in second, you have to come to a stop then select second before moving again.

This is one of the items on my wishlist. There should be a mode (winter mode?) where you can tell the car you want to start in second so it never puts it in first for you. This wish moved up my priority list over the weekend when I was trying to go up a steep, snow-covered hill. I turned on the DTC program, selected 2nd, then began to press the gas. As the DTC did it's job, it kept putting it back into first. That is just plain wrong! If I select 2nd to start out, I need it to stay there!!

BMW, I know you're out there reading this stuff. Please help us SMG owners by getting a software upgrade released before the end of winter...