E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer - SMG or 6-speed? Why?
SMG
57.14%
6-speed
42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

SMG or 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I don't regret my SMG choice one bit! I had an early April delivery so I didn't have the opportunity to drive one prior to ordering. My previous cars were traditional manuals ('89 Ford SHO, '92 SHO, '95 M3, '98 M3, '01 Audi A6 2.7T).

Once the car was out of break-in period and I could "get on it" (sometimes referred to as the learning curve) SMG really shined. I drive it like a manual (i.e. I don't use automatic mode) and find myself sometimes using the paddles but more often using the "shifter".

Except for starting from a dead stop, I fell that I have as much control over the transmisson as a traditional manual (and much more so than the Steptronic which I have driven a few times). The car can downshift and match the revs better than I ever could and as an added bonus my wife is comfortable driving the car on the few occasions that she needs to. As for starting from a dead stop, Accelleration Assist will work when a quick getaway is needed.

Anyone test-driving an SMG should try to spend more than 10 minutes driving it and BE SURE to press the SPORT button.

It's kind of like good wine. Each tranny has it's fine points. But after a few hours who the hell cares.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

Thanks, actually not new to the forum, I've just been posting under a different name... now that I'm suing bmw for lemon law, I've changed my name & become a little more anonymous...

Anyway, I think you should only have one place to shift. Shifting on the steering wheel just confuses things. I feel like there is too much going on with the steering wheel. I never tried it with active steering, just on an M3, so that may certainly change things. Also, if the SMG in the M3 is significantly different than in the 5, I might have another difference of opinion.

I think that a properly working 6-speed is much nicer than SMG. Of course our 6-speed, which requires double-clutching and sticks in gear, is not nicer than SMG.

This is all imho, of course.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Oh, now I get it -- 'Sue' is a verb, not a proper noun!

With regard to the "confusing" steering wheel shifting, all I can say is it doesn't confuse me one bit. I find myself using any combination of shift methods, depending on whatever I'm doing at that moment. If I'm using my right hand to adjust the temperature, I might shift with the left hand paddle. If I'm reaching for a window switch, I might shift with my right paddle. Sometimes, I just use the gear shift. I actually prefer the paddles on the E60 to those on the M-cars because you can use either one for up or downshifting. I'm not sure why they don't do the 'emmys' the same way. (I know the M's are like the F1 cars so maybe it has something to do with authenticity?)

Anyway, after 4 months, shifting this thing comes so naturally that I don't even have to think about it...
Old 08-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Good point Rudy!

Sometimes when I have a BigMac in my Left hand I'll shift with my Right hand with either the paddle or the shifter. And not having a clutch makes it easier to steer with my knee while I have a Coke in the other hand and French Fries between my legs. :'(
Old 08-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Aug 26 2004, 11:43 PM
And not having a clutch makes it easier to steer with my knee while I have a Coke in the other hand and French Fries between my legs. :'(
Absolutely! Plus, active steering makes the knee method work even better -- it used to be you could only keep the car straight or maybe change lanes with your knee but now, you can navigate 90 degree turns with no hands!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Contributors

Aint technology great!

BMW... The Ultimate Eating Machine!
I just need to get me one of JDN's coffee grinder/brewers
Old 08-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Senior Members

"Sue" BMW I though this forum was finally getting in touch with its feminine side
Old 08-26-2004, 08:53 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Aug 26 2004, 10:43 PM
Good point Rudy!

Sometimes when I have a BigMac in my Left hand I'll shift with my Right hand with either the paddle or the shifter. And not having a clutch makes it easier to steer with my knee while I have a Coke in the other hand and French Fries between my legs. :'(
It just dawned on me. I haven't steered with my knee in this car yet. SMG SMG SMG - RAH RAH RAH. 'Course I keep that coke in the cup holder, realtyman.

JDN - Getting excited about your exhaust note.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Contributors

It's hard to drink while it's IN the cup holder.

I'm getting excited about the exhaust too.

Thought it would have arrived by now.
As long as it gets here before next Thursday I'll be OK.

Vid & sound will be sure to follow.

(Wait 'till I post pics from the shop that's doing the install).
Old 08-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Contributors

Shifting on the steering wheel just confuses things.
Wait, wait, wait, wait. If shifting on the steering wheel is that confusing when all you have to do is go forwards or backwards, how do you drive? Is it confusing to put the gear in first or reverse?
Sorry, but clowning on SMG is not cool. I have always driven manuel until now and I will not revert from SMG. You get a smooth shift everytime and if it is that confusing just don't use the paddles.

Quick Reply: SMG or 6-speed