E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A small but useful E60 trunk tip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you're like me, you have a ton of stuff in your trunk. My job requires me to have things like a tool box and a briefcase with me most of the time so naturally, the trunk is where I keep them.

On my E39's, this stuff was constantly getting tossed around, flipped, slammed into the back, slammed into the front, etc. The little rubber straps on that car really didn't do much good and I wasn't about to tie them down or use any cargo nets, etc. since I was always needing to take them in and out. (I did tie down large bulky objects pretty often -- those tie downs are handy.)

On the E60, the large trunk mat is reversible. One side is the fuzzy carpet (that male velcro sticks to quite well) and the other side is a rubberized surface that prevents things from sliding around much better than the carpet.

A simple solution to an old problem!
Old 05-24-2004, 06:40 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rudy: Does the trunk 'mat' come right out, or is there any point where it needs to be unhooked from something. Or is it as simple as 'lift up and pull straight out' then 'turn over and lay be down on the floor?

Thanks much,

Sam
Old 05-24-2004, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Sam,

I just lifted mine up, turned it over, and it worked great.

James
Old 05-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

Simply pulling it out seems feasible.

How about the circular storage compartment one gets when having run-flats? It seems ideal to avoid things from shocking around in the trunk - fitting for tools, shopping bags and whatnot.

-paasan
Old 05-24-2004, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, even if you get run-flats, you get a doughnut spare in the well.

I thought about removing it for extra storage but I remember many years ago reading about why BMW and M-B design their cars with horizontal spares located under the trunk mat.

Supposedly, the tire location improves safety in a rear-impacts. Based on that alone, I'm going to leave my spare there.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Our car has the storage compartment.

However, our studded winter tyres don't come as run-flats AFAIK, so we put in the space saver wheel during winter. Replacing the wheel and jack with the "cardboard" storage compartment is a simple operation.

-paasan
Old 05-24-2004, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Rudy,

Do you know what option got you the storage compartment? I've seen it in a couple of pictures, but my 530 doesn't have it.

thanks,

james
Old 05-24-2004, 07:16 AM
sj3
Senior Members

James: Aren't you concerned about modifying the weight distribution characteristics of the car? I would think it would have a handling impact and would definitely affect how the car handles in an emergency avoidance situation; not sure though. Thanks.

Sam
Old 05-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='May 24 2004, 11:09 AM
Rudy,

Do you know what option got you the storage compartment? I've seen it in a couple of pictures, but my 530 doesn't have it.

thanks,

james
I didn't get a storage compartment. I was referring to the wheel well that the spare sits in.

Also, sj3 brings up a point I forgot about in my earlier post. There seems to be more reasons to leave the spare than to remove it.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Weird that BMW offers the compartment as an option if it truly poses a risk not having something shock absorbing in it.

-paasan

Quick Reply: A small but useful E60 trunk tip...