E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Slow to move off

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525D,Step,Prof Nav,CD,Hot Seats,

Hi Forum,

Long time reader, first time writer. (hmmm, I've heard that before...) Anyway, I have a 525D here in Germany, the homeland. I picked it for my company car, based on the truly awesome experience I had with my X5 back home.

The car itself is great but has one major quirk. When cold particularly and sometimes when warm, I will press the throttle to move away from a traffic light etc. The car can take up to 1.5 secs before really moving. It just does nothing at all. I have seen cars with a small delay, but this is massive. When I enter a junction of moving traffic, I crap myself when nothing happens and cars are coming at me.

This is my first diesel and I am not sure if they all do this, but I would be surprised. Does anyone have some advice? I have the steptronic, which otherwise performs fine.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

I've noticed some delay - paticualarly in first gear.
Max torque is from 2000-4000rpm .. so what I do is give a steady increase of revs up to 2000 in first gear, quicklychange to second .... & then pull away leaving the losers behind!

Increadible pull if you use the torque range.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Jun 16 2005, 09:48 AM
I've noticed some delay - paticualarly in first gear.
Max torque is from 2000-4000rpm .. so what I do is give a steady increase of revs up to 2000 in first gear, quicklychange to second .... & then pull away leaving the losers behind!

Increadible pull if you use the torque range.
[snapback]140014[/snapback]
Great, if you have a manual, but what about if you have an auto........like me.
I've noticed some delay too.........I am going to try and see if slipping it into Drive Sport before pulling away makes a difference.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pandmandm' date='Jun 16 2005, 08:40 AM
This is my first diesel and I am not sure if they all do this, but I would be surprised.? Does anyone have some advice?? I have the steptronic, which otherwise performs fine.
You should ask your dealer to install the latest software. I number of steptronic quirks have been finally resolved.

If this doesn't fix it then the dealer should look at other options... Maybe the gearbox itself is faulty?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I noticed a throttle delay on my 530d which could be pretty harrowing if you tried to nip out of a junction and nothing seemed to happen for a while! Isn't it just down to turbo lag? My friends X5 3.0d is the same. You just get used to it. BMW seem to have sorted it out on the 535d as the low speed turbo comes in to play earlier. I seem to remember that lighter throttle inputs work better. You just need to get used to it
Old 06-19-2005, 01:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Jun 16 2005, 11:45 PM
I noticed a throttle delay on my 530d which could be pretty harrowing if you tried to nip out of a junction and nothing seemed to happen for a while! Isn't it just down to turbo lag? My friends X5 3.0d is the same. You just get used to it. BMW seem to have sorted it out on the 535d as the low speed turbo comes in to play earlier. I seem to remember that lighter throttle inputs work better. You just need to get used to it
[snapback]140242[/snapback]
Thanks guys. Into the dealer on Tuesday. He recommends a software upgrade. I will post the result. Thanks heaps for your advice.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pandmandm' date='Jun 19 2005, 10:44 AM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Jun 16 2005, 11:45 PM']I noticed a throttle delay on my 530d which could be pretty harrowing if you tried to nip out of a junction and nothing seemed to happen for a while! Isn't it just down to turbo lag? My friends X5 3.0d is the same. You just get used to it. BMW seem to have sorted it out on the 535d as the low speed turbo comes in to play earlier. I seem to remember that lighter throttle inputs work better. You just need to get used to it
[snapback]140242[/snapback]
Thanks guys. Into the dealer on Tuesday. He recommends a software upgrade. I will post the result. Thanks heaps for your advice.
[snapback]140871[/snapback]
[/quote]

Might be a good way of getting a software upgrade.
My car was delivered in April 2005........is it likely that there is a software upgrade since then ?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:56 AM
Members

Got the new software for all systems including the Nav. I like the perspective view etc you get now. The take off is much better now, most especially in sport mode, which did not help beforehand. BMW was very helpful.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six

I noticed a little delay in mine and yesterday in SERVICE they reprogrammed the DDE and other stuff. It's better now.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d Touring (E61) Steptronic, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, 138 Rims, Park Distance Control, Sliding Armrest, Advanced Air-Con, Professional Satellite Navigation, Sports Steering Wheel, Xeon, Adaptive lights, Heated Front Seats, Voice Control, Bluetooth (T630)

Originally Posted by pandmandm' date='Jun 16 2005, 09:40 AM

The car itself is great but has one major quirk.? When cold particularly and sometimes when warm, I will press the throttle to move away from a traffic light etc.? The car can take up to 1.5 secs before really moving.? It just does nothing at all.? I have seen cars with a small delay, but this is massive.? When I enter a junction of moving traffic, I crap myself when nothing happens and cars are coming at me.

I have exactly the same problem. Very annoying and dangerous! My dealer tested the car but could not find anything wrong. He even tested the car when it was cold. I am wondering what is triggering the problem. The amount of throttle is important - too much and you are more likely to have the problem.
I will try to wait till the MP3 software version becomes available before I ask for a software upgrade...

Quick Reply: Slow to move off