E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Slow initial cranking

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Nav, Adaptive Xenon, Comfort Seats
Default Slow initial cranking

Hey guys, ive noticed my 528i has been cranking kind of slowly from a cold start. If I stop it after the first start, it starts up faster. Its not a really slow crank but it seems like the starter is trying a bit harder than it should. My e46 would start right up from a cold start but my e60 is taking maybe a second longer to start than a normal start. Could it possibly be from a dying battery or a battery that is not able to develop enough cold cranking amps? Hoping its not needing a new starter, the car has 109k miles on it and I think the battery was replaced 3 years ago.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

That is a sign of a battery not having enough amps to crank. Was you battery programmed when it was changed? I would start by having the battery tested at Advance auto and go from there.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Nav, Adaptive Xenon, Comfort Seats

Got the battery tested at advance auto and they found nothing wrong with it. They also checked the alternator and starter and found everything working normally. My battery is an AGM Exide battery rated at 850 CCA and when it was tested they found it was putting out 817 which was completely normal. Any other possible reasons for the slow initial crank?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

The only plausible solution would be the starter. Something we never hope it is. I know mine went out at 113K. Have you had you plugs changed yet?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:35 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

On My e60 it has had 3 batteries since 2008... so.... every 3 years on genuine AGM OEM battery... my last one tested fine too.. but it went dead in a day.. still tests fine... new battery everything is peachy.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:24 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
The only plausible solution would be the starter. Something we never hope it is. I know mine went out at 113K. Have you had you plugs changed yet?
Don't think the plugs were ever changed on this car. Guess ill order them and change them out. Really hoping it's not the starter.

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
On My e60 it has had 3 batteries since 2008... so.... every 3 years on genuine AGM OEM battery... my last one tested fine too.. but it went dead in a day.. still tests fine... new battery everything is peachy.
Perhaps its an issue with coding? If the battery is providing the required amps and volts, I feel it can't be the issue because all other batteries will test the same.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:27 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

No my battery is definitely dead. I can trickle charge it overnight, and it has enough cranking amps for ONE start.. after that.. no good. It can provide voltage.. just no cranking amps. My car had every battery coded, which is why I know it has chewed through one every 3 years.. which is magically what the warranty is for.. 3 years...
Old 01-07-2016, 12:30 PM
New Members

No my battery is definitely dead. I can trickle charge it overnight, and it has enough cranking amps for ONE start.. after that.. no good. It can provide voltage.. just no cranking amps. My car had every battery coded, which is why I know it has chewed through one every 3 years.. which is magically what the warranty is for.. 3 years...
Well I guess that can't be the issue with mine because after multiple tests we found it was still putting out the right amount of amps for cranking. Voltage was also just fine so im getting a feeling it's something else in the car like a restrictive fuel filter.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

You might have some other issue. The ten years my car has been built I have only replaced my battery once. It is going on 4 yrs with the replacement and should last me at least another 2. A battery should definitely last longer than three years. Also my battery came with a 6 yr warranty. Exide and Interstate are the only batteries I buy for all my cars because of the great warranty. Never needed to use it though because They have all went well past the warranty length.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 01-07-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:55 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 530xi

Originally Posted by zoppp
Hey guys, ive noticed my 528i has been cranking kind of slowly from a cold start. If I stop it after the first start, it starts up faster. Its not a really slow crank but it seems like the starter is trying a bit harder than it should. My e46 would start right up from a cold start but my e60 is taking maybe a second longer to start than a normal start. Could it possibly be from a dying battery or a battery that is not able to develop enough cold cranking amps? Hoping its not needing a new starter, the car has 109k miles on it and I think the battery was replaced 3 years ago.
That's funny you noticed that too, my E46 fired right up, like it was waiting for me to allow it to run. My E60 definitely cranks a second or even 2 before really firing. i do have 160k miles, and do not know the history of the starter or battery, so i may not be a good benchmark, but i've never had any other fuel or electrical problem. I think if the fuel filter was clogged, it would be sluggish.

When the time comes for me to get a battery or heaven forbid, a starter, i will update you.

Quick Reply: Slow initial cranking