E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sloooooow idrive

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like I have read posts about this complaint before, but cant seem to find them in my query.

Does anyone else think the idrive menu is slow? It seems as though my '04 idrive menu was much more responsive - there were fewer options in that menu, but its almost embarassing how slow the idrive menu is to respond in my '08.

Is there a software upgrade that I can buy?

Thanks for the help.

Bill
Old 07-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Members

I have a 07 550i and I experience the "slowness" sometimes during start up. Seels like it thinks about something and during that time I cant change the music or volume!! I took it to the dealer and they upgraded my software and it is little better but the slowness during startup is still there. Its not too bad but still annoying. I think maybe the DVD map load is what causes this slow response but then again I could be wrong.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

My iDrive in general is not slow, faster coming up than my 07 335 was. However, I think its a tad slow when entering information for navigating, and slow when fast route is being calculated. Other than that, all other selections pop up quickly.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the replies.

Funny thing is that the nav portion seems ok for me - including the accuracy and timing of the direction announcements. But the rest of the menu options, i.e. the selecting ipod music, then changing from FM to AUX, then selecting phone list is extremely slow.

I am going to try to take out the nav cd to see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 AM
Members

hmm. I would take it to the dealer and have them take a look. Are you still under extended warrenty? I don't experience the slow response once the startup is complete. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mustafa550i
hmm. I would take it to the dealer and have them take a look. Are you still under extended warrenty? I don't experience the slow response once the startup is complete. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Yes, still under warranty....just turned 9,000 miles last night actually. Heading to the DS tomorrow...thanks again.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

Originally Posted by BillMcC
Thanks for the replies.

Funny thing is that the nav portion seems ok for me - including the accuracy and timing of the direction announcements. But the rest of the menu options, i.e. the selecting ipod music, then changing from FM to AUX, then selecting phone list is extremely slow.

I am going to try to take out the nav cd to see if that makes a difference.
funny, all the things you mention, mine just flips through, even once the navigation gets it route going. Like I said, it is only punching in the address and waiting for it to route is the only delay I have.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I've noticed that if I hit a button on the fob to wake up the car as I'm walking up to it, and start the car like 45 secs later the I drive is booted up, phone connected, etc, instantly. If I wait and hit the button right as i'm getting in, or just open the door without hitting a button on the fob, the i drive boots slowly. I guess it takes a few secs for the car to come out of sleep mode.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530 Titanium Silver Sport/Premium PKG OEM Mtech Kit

Mine is slow too....It never seem to do that until I got a software update from the dealer.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

iDrive is slow in general, especially more so if you have a lot of options on your car. Think of it as a computer. It has to boot up and load. Just like how your computer is pretty unresponsive immediately after booting your operating system. It's like it's loading startup items.

Quick Reply: Sloooooow idrive