E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Slight clunk to my active steering...read on

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

I?ve been noticing a very slight notch-like/clunk feeling to my steering. When turning at times I can feel a slight clunk as I rotate the wheel. And while it is VERY slight I notice it nonetheless and it?s a bit annoying.

Mentioned it on my last service visit and the dealer told me it was addressed. Well it wasn?t and I?ve been too busy to call the dealer and mention it? a couple weeks have gone by now and I finally did call the dealer. I mentioned the situation to the service advisor, she was very apologetic, and then went on to ask me if I had a rapid ?clicking? sometime when I went to unlock my car. I have had this clicking on occasion but I never mentioned it to the dealer because I figured I wouldn?t be able to replicate the problem while at the dealer?and they probably wouldn?t know what I was talking about. Obviously I was wrong?car is scheduled to go in on the 11th and the advisor mentioned to me that with this ?clicking? often times the entire steering rack is being replaced. Hmmm I wonder if these two items (clunk and click) are connected?probably so?we?ll see
Old 03-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Members

although do not have a clunk my entire steering rack is currently being replaced. I did have the rapid clicking noise when unlocking the car and I have had several active steering failures. Even after troubleshooting the first time and replacing some connectors they could not alleviate the problems. So BMW technical (whoever that is) told my dealership to replace the entire steering rack. Been in progress now for three days and I have been without my car now for a week and a half.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Mar 22 2005, 09:47 AM
I?ve been noticing a very slight notch-like/clunk feeling to my steering. When turning at times I can feel a slight clunk as I rotate the wheel. And while it is VERY slight I notice it nonetheless and it?s a bit annoying.

Mentioned it on my last service visit and the dealer told me it was addressed. Well it wasn?t and I?ve been too busy to call the dealer and mention it? a couple weeks have gone by now and I finally did call the dealer. I mentioned the situation to the service advisor, she was very apologetic, and then went on to ask me if I had a rapid ?clicking? sometime when I went to unlock my car. I have had this clicking on occasion but I never mentioned it to the dealer because I figured I wouldn?t be able to replicate the problem while at the dealer?and they probably wouldn?t know what I was talking about. Obviously I was wrong?car is scheduled to go in on the 11th and the advisor mentioned to me that with this ?clicking? often times the entire steering rack is being replaced. Hmmm I wonder if these two items (clunk and click) are connected?probably so?we?ll see
[snapback]105091[/snapback]

I made an AVI clip to capture the noise I'm hearing. It is present on startup and shutdown, in slow speed turns and over bumps occasionally. Sometime worse than others, maybe more when cold?

At any rate, here is the AVI... http://home.comcast.net/~grobertson2...ring_noise.AVI

Is this the noise you're hearing?

You can't really hear it unless you have a good set of speakers...
Old 03-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Is the clunk only when you turn the steering wheel ?

I had that in my old e38 7 Series, turned out to be a slightly loose airbag that clunked from side to side. I just fastened the screws and all was fine, but it took a long time to figure out what the problem was
Old 03-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bubblehead' date='Mar 22 2005, 12:17 PM
although? do not have a clunk my entire steering rack is currently being replaced.? I did have the rapid clicking noise when unlocking the car and I have had several active steering failures.? Even after troubleshooting the first time and replacing some connectors they could not alleviate the problems.? So BMW technical (whoever that is) told my dealership to replace the entire steering rack.? Been in progress now for three days and I have been without my car now for a week and a half.
[snapback]105116[/snapback]
Bubblehead,

I've had the same exact symptoms, and they only checked the problem electrically. Now I have the sounds almost every day, and I think I have to take the car back again.

Sometimes I start the car and the steering wheel is off angle and the display says warning! active steering malfunction!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Members

I listened to the audio clip and I have not had that noise problem.

gdavis - I to have had the malfunction with the wheel off angle and it caused the turn signal not to reset and was just plain weird driving straight with the wheel turned almost 30 degrees.

Bad news for me is that the dealer told me this afternoon that the parts did not show up as expected today and he did not have any status. He is estimating two days of work once they get the parts and I am stuck driving a Lincoln Town Car from Enterprise. I must give Enterprise credit as I am such a frequent customer of them with my miriad of BMW problems that they upgrade me for free. It is sad that I am on a first name basis with 3 of Enterprise's employees.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Mar 22 2005, 11:47 AM

This is the first description on this Board that I've seen of this problem. It's a perfect description of what I'm having. My dealer has only said "Not able to duplicate problem". Can anyone provide any more information about this which I can show to the dealer to let them know what's wrong??

Thanks,
RAI
Old 03-23-2005, 05:26 AM

Oops, sorry I didn't make my reply clearer. What I'm talking about is the "clicking" sound and the active steering failure warning lights, leading to a total steering rack replacement. Does anyone have a TSB or other authority from BMW saying that the steering rack needs to be replaced in this case??

Thanks,
RAI
Old 03-23-2005, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 23 2005, 06:16 AM
[quote name='ch7656' date='Mar 22 2005, 11:47 AM']I?ve been noticing a very slight notch-like/clunk feeling to my steering. When turning at times I can feel a slight clunk as I rotate the wheel. And while it is VERY slight I notice it nonetheless and it?s a bit annoying.

This is the first description on this Board that I've seen of this problem. It's a perfect description of what I'm having. My dealer has only said "Not able to duplicate problem". Can anyone provide any more information about this which I can show to the dealer to let them know what's wrong??

Thanks,
RAI
[snapback]105475[/snapback]
[/quote]

Rai-
Are you talking about the feel in the steering wheel or the rapid clicking noise? If it's the noise I can give contact info for my service advisor and your contact can in turn reach out to them...if it's the feel in the wheel...I can provide info after my service visit as to whether or not the issue was fixed and try to shed some light as to how a resolution was reached
Old 03-23-2005, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Wasn't it realtyman that had two racks replaced?

I can't remember why though...

Quick Reply: Slight clunk to my active steering...read on