E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sirius settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Just got Sirius installed. I like it overall, with a few issues:

1. I can hear the cooling fan, even though the unit's in the trunk. It just sounds like a little computer's whirring away back there - a little annoying, but I'm sure after a while I won't notice it.

2. I can't figure out how to limit channels. Not the presets option, but disabling certain channels, like Kidstuff and Elvis channel, like you'd do in your satellite/cable guide. The manual says go to ESN option for the channel and the system will dial up some phone number and disable it, but that's grayed out and isn't active. Anyone?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Just curious about that level of noise. Can you hear the fan with the car on? Do you have the split seat option?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Ditto on Firewired's question. I'm going to get the Sirius when I get some time to bring the car in, but this comment about the noise is a bit worrisome. Can you hear it when driving or just when you're idling?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Interesting... I have the factory Sirius, and have never heard any fan consistant with that... I do not have split seats however. I've never tried to disable the channels, there should be a way to clear the check mark beside them... I'll check it when I get home from work... and post my findings...
Old 09-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by John W' date='Sep 28 2004, 01:21 PM
Hi,

Just got Sirius installed.? I like it overall, with a few issues:

1.? I can hear the cooling fan, even though the unit's in the trunk.? It just sounds like a little computer's whirring away back there - a little annoying, but I'm sure after a while I won't notice it.

2.? I can't figure out how to limit channels.? Not the presets option, but disabling certain channels, like Kidstuff and Elvis channel, like you'd do in your satellite/cable guide.? The manual says go to ESN option for the channel and the system will dial up some phone number and disable it, but that's grayed out and isn't active.? Anyone?
[snapback]38958[/snapback]
I've got the factory Sirius install and don't have any noticable fan noise. If it bothers you, you could probably throw some insulation in the right places - just don't block the fan. Don't know about the station delete - never heard of that one.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributors

The fan noise is noticeable while driving, if the sound system's off, or at very low volume. It's a low volume CPU fan sound. It rises and falls with engine speed. Remember back in the old days, you could get a whine in your speakers if you had not isolated the alternator properly? It's like that.

This said, turn up the volume a bit and it's drowned out. My wife did also notice it and asked what it was.

Here's what I understand after talking to the West Coast Sirius rep today for about an hour.

Earlier this year, BMW changed manufacturers for Sirius hardware. Apparently, there were problems with the original manufacturer related to production volume and defects. So, they re-sourced the receivers, which resulted in the change to non-factory installation and delays in availability (which we all know).

The units are designed to last the "lifetime of the vehicle" and the term used to describe them was "near military standards." So, they should be around longer than aftermarket, and it would seem silly to me to have an integrated unit like this not last as long as the rest of the system.

The options regarding turning on and off channels is hardware/software dependent. It's not on Sirius' end - they do not offer the ability to customize the channel list at their end. The change in hardware would explain to me why maybe the option/feature existed in factory installed units and not in new ones, but is still implied in I-drive by the check-boxes. The new hardware may also just have a noisier fan. As a test, maybe someone with the factory install can do this: When I unlock the car, the Sirius unit cycles on and I can hear the fan from outside the car for 30 seconds or so. Then, if the car isn't started, it goes back off. It's easy to hear. Or, someone else with dealer-installed may be able to tell us if their fan is audible.

So, I think the dealer-installed units are just different in a few ways than the original factory ones. Also, the Sirius rep relayed the fact that the dealers have full discretion in pricing the option. And, the first year is not free with dealer-installed, only factory. Some dealers may choose to pay for the first year and mark up the system price. He said Mercedes does that - $595 for system, $700 with one free year.

Anyway, that's all I was able to glean from our conversation. Hope it's helpful.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks for the information, John!

So is it correct to say that you hear the fan noise directly but also you hear the 'whine' through the speakers (caused by a "ground loop" in the wiring)?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Contributors

No, sorry if I was unclear.

It sounds like the old speaker whine, but it's not coming from the speakers, just directly from the cooling fan. Somehow the fan noise is finding its way into the cabin. I'm going to see if I can stuff some foam/insulation in there and block it, but am concerned about affecting airflow in the area.

And, don't get me wrong. I really like this system. Static free radio, news, music, etc is really valuable here in California with all the hills. It's a fantastic service. I'm just passing along the minor little gripes with an otherwise very valuable service, in case others may find the info useful.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

John W,

Do you have the split seat option?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Contributors

I do not have split seats.