E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 06:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Steptronic Comfort Nav Winter but no Sport for dec delivery

I understand Sirius--but I question the content.

Two Items:

Specifically-NEWS- do you get quality news of is it just a lot of human interest type items with repeat of real news headlines over and over?

Also, re Music, for example--if I wanted to listen to Nora Jones--could I just tune to it or would I have to tune to something like female contempory pop and wait all day for one song?

Richard
Old 09-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Under news, you generally get the cable carriers like CNN and Fox. Don't know about Sirius, but the XM I have at home even carries the BBC. I think CNN has their own radio network, but Fox is a basically a live feed of the TV version, just the sound obviously.

As for you second question, that's right, no artist specific stuff, just stations/categories like Alternative, Contemporary, Classical or Jazz (usually broken into sub-categories) where you will here the artists you like. Here is a link to the channels...

http://www.sirius.com/pdf/channelguide.pdf
Old 09-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i

I have an '05 530i (black/black) on order - en route right now to processing center. If I go ahead and add on Sirius (I chose Sirius prep when I ordered), any idea how long that would delay my car at the dealer for installation?

Also, just to confirm, it is compatible with NAV & Logic7, right?

Thanks!

Pat
Old 09-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I have a question for european members is D.A.B. radio the same as sirius radio?? DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) has a very high sound quality and will be available in the netherlands in 2005. Can we upgrade our cars then to be able to recieve those stations???
Old 09-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Senior Members

congrats and welcome aboard, parnola !
Old 09-28-2004, 04:17 AM
Contributors

Parnola, your dealer should have the parts in stock. If they do, it is maybe 2 hours of work, max. Most of that is to update the software in the iDrive for Sirius.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 28 2004, 08:08 AM
I have a question for european members is D.A.B. radio the same as sirius radio?? DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) has a very high sound quality and will be available in the netherlands in 2005. Can we upgrade our cars then to be able to recieve those stations???
[snapback]38803[/snapback]
AFAIK, but I'm not an expert on this...
DAB is a digital signal, that is not coming via satelite, it's terestrial.
Sirius is digital via satelite.
So basically, if I'm right , they are about the same.
I don't know what you need to receive DAB. I don't think it's simply software that needs to be added. I think it is more likely a settop box what you need to install. If it is a settop box, a retrofit should be possible.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by parnola' date='Sep 28 2004, 12:38 AM
I have an '05 530i (black/black) on order - en route right now to processing center.? If I go ahead and add on Sirius (I chose Sirius prep when I ordered), any idea how long that would delay my car at the dealer for installation?

Also, just to confirm, it is compatible with NAV & Logic7, right?

Thanks!

Pat
[snapback]38799[/snapback]
NO! I is not compatible with Nav as of yet, unless you have a 2005 then maybe, I don't know. I have a 2004 and they are saying it won't be compatible with Nav until maybe mid Oct. I called Circle BMW in NJ on Monday, 9/28/2004.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Contributors

skipper is right, but he says it an 05, so its supposed to work. But we've been promised this before. I'll be curious to hear from parnola. he's got an 05 coming, and the issues are supposedly resolved for 05, so why couldn't he order it with Sirius from the factory?????
Old 09-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i

Thanks for the welcomes!

I did have the option to order it with Sirius from the factory, but at the time I didn't think I wanted it, so I just got the "prep" in case I changed my mind.

I'm going to go ahead and call my dealer and ask them to add it on when the car arrives (still listed as En Route ). I'll let everyone know if they successfully install it for me. I think it'll be a couple weeks before my car gets to the dealer, though. It shipped 5 days ago. My coworker just got an M5 and it was 3 weeks after it shipped for him.

Pat

Quick Reply: Sirius Radio