E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sirius presets

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know if there is a way to get more than 12 presets?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by tbone' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:49 PM
Does any one know if there is a way to get more than 12 presets?
[snapback]93379[/snapback]
I do not know specifically on BMW. I'll have to wait a FEW more days yet to test. However, I have two different brands of aftermarket Sirius receivers (Kenwood and Audiovox) and neither can give you even 12. I also have a Pioneer car audio receiver that is Sirius ready (not implemented on this vehicle) and the instructions say I would have 12 if I read them correctly. I'd say we were ahead of the game compared to the norm.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Members

Interesting. My last car had xm and I had 20.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by tbone' date='Feb 23 2005, 11:36 AM
Interesting. My last car had xm and I had 20.
[snapback]93530[/snapback]
If it's integrated with the car, I don't think the number of presets is related to the carrier (XM or Sirius), it's related to the car.

BMW could easily add presets to our Sirius equipped cars via software -- it's not a limitation of Sirius. They really need to either add some more or do what I suggested a while ago -- merge the presets from all the different radio sources. I should be able to have a bunch of presets (50?) and I should be able to make preset #1 be an AM station, preset #2 be an FM station, preset #3 be a Sirius station, etc. There's no reason why they need to be split like it's 1940.

Also, while we're at it, they should have a feature like many televisions have -- a button that flips you instantly back to the last station you were on or, better yet, a button that flips you through the last few stations you were on...
Old 02-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 23 2005, 10:45 AM
[quote name='tbone' date='Feb 23 2005, 11:36 AM']Interesting. My last car had xm and I had 20.
[snapback]93530[/snapback]
If it's integrated with the car, I don't think the number of presets is related to the carrier (XM or Sirius), it's related to the car.

BMW could easily add presets to our Sirius equipped cars via software -- it's not a limitation of Sirius. They really need to either add some more or do what I suggested a while ago -- merge the presets from all the different radio sources. I should be able to have a bunch of presets (50?) and I should be able to make preset #1 be an AM station, preset #2 be an FM station, preset #3 be a Sirius station, etc. There's no reason why they need to be split like it's 1940.

Also, while we're at it, they should have a feature like many televisions have -- a button that flips you instantly back to the last station you were on or, better yet, a button that flips you through the last few stations you were on...
[snapback]93534[/snapback]
[/quote]
Agree with your conclusion - not the service provider, but the equipment. As you suggest, do not limit by AM, FM, SAT groups but simply a number (50) that can be any combo of any/all types. I would think with our idrive that would be more easily implemented in the future than hardware specific receivers. So we need to give BMW feedback on this desired feature as well as the "last" or "recall" feature. Really handy when your listening to Football, or other favorites and want to move quickly back and forth. Good ideas, Rudy
Old 02-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It makes it easier to "flip" around during commercials, that's for sure...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

My aftermarket JVC has:
- 18 presets
- 20 song memory, ability to store a list of your 20 favorite songs. If your song is playing or will be playing in 5 seconds or so, on any of their stations, it let's you know. YOu click enter and you go right to that station.
- Jump back or Recall Button (on the remote)
- direct input of any channel (from the remote)

If you are a NFL, NBA, NHL and/or a NASCAR junkie, Sirius is the way to go. If you like baseball, XM is it for you. Other content is very similiar.

Draw back: Not accessible through the IDrive.
Plus: I can change my gear if newer stuff comes available.

Teriyaki
Old 02-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Feb 23 2005, 11:19 AM
My aftermarket JVC has:
- 18 presets
- 20 song memory, ability to store a list of your 20? favorite songs.? If your song is playing or will be playing in 5 seconds or so, on any of their stations, it let's you know.? YOu click enter and you go right to that station.
- Jump back or Recall Button (on the remote)
- direct input of any channel (from the remote)

If you are a NFL, NBA, NHL and/or a NASCAR junkie, Sirius is the way to go.? If you like baseball, XM is it for you.? Other content is very similiar.

Draw back: Not accessible through the IDrive.
Plus: I can change my gear if newer stuff comes available.

Teriyaki
[snapback]93551[/snapback]
I don't think I ever saw a JVC handy when I was purchasing my aftermarket sets. And you know I forgot to check my Audiovox remote to see what it has available as far as features not on the receiver itself. I am usually only on one station for 90% of the time. Only during NFL season do I jump around and I reload the 10 presets then The Kenwood is used only when I travel to Seattle 3/4 times a year and I don't remember if the remote has capabilities that the head doesn't. But in any case we want our idrive to be more capable and flexible
Old 02-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Contributors

When you look at the channel list in iDrive for Sirius, there's a check-mark next to each channel. As designed, and in the manual, you're supposed to be able to select and de-select channels, in basically the same way as you can with your cable/satellite channel guide. It just doesn't work in real life - it's disabled or broken. If they'd fix this basic bug, then we could have a long custom list of channels.

Likewise, I asked Sirius if I could choose what channels they send me and they said no, it has to be done on the receving end, and agreed that the BMW receiver should be able to do it.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:01 AM
Members

Sorry - should have been more clear. I'm talking about with teh I-drive controller.

So the consensus is its 12 for now, but could theoretically be increased via software upgrade in the future?

Quick Reply: Sirius presets