E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sirius Prep cable or DVD Prep cable part no

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I'm looking for the part no for the cable (that consists of the optic fiber cable and power connector) for the SIRIUS Sat radio prep or the DVD changer prep. This is the connect that is kept in the boot under the left wheel arch trim in case you want to connect these modules at a later date.

I'm pretty sure these cables are not included with the Sirius retrofit kit because that assumes you have the Prep Kit installed from the factory. But has another who has not had the Prep been able to install the Sirius module? Because then you will have had to install this long cable from the front of the car to the back.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 AM
ObD
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

I think Sirius Prep is just another harness and not an add on harness. Thus the whole harness would need to be replaced. I'm guessing two part numbers: one with prep, one without.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

I know it comes as a Prep from the factory. But what if you didn't take the Prep and then wanted to add Sirus or TV or DVD then there must be a wiring harness that is used that allows you to connect this up.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='559149' date='Apr 10 2008, 02:17 PM
I know it comes as a Prep from the factory. But what if you didn't take the Prep and then wanted to add Sirus or TV or DVD then there must be a wiring harness that is used that allows you to connect this up.
if you didn't get the prep the most popular option is replacing the cd changer with it. On the E39 there was a jumper cable that would go from the sirius module back to the changer. it was a 12-position plug, if memory serves me right. so the stock cd changer cable plugs in to the sirius module, which then had an outbound connection for the cd changer. perhaps something similar could be done here. the fiber optics are actually easy, get a jumper cable and patch it in to the loop.

-felix
Old 04-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Contributors

I think you are misunderstanding what I am trying to do. I'm actually trying to relocate my CD changer from the Glove to the boot and so I need the long cable that will go from the front of the car to the boot. The cable used to the connect the SIRIUS or the DVD would do the trick if I just knew what the part number was.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:48 PM
ObD
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='559149' date='Apr 10 2008, 02:17 PM
Without prep, people add OEM Sirius where the CD changer is located, and use a Sat antenna on the back package shelf so an additional MOST connection is not required. A device such as the Denison iPod interface located at the changer site can also be used to connect an aftermarket Sirius, etc.

FWIW, the additional Sirius wiring on prep is just more fiber optic cable and an additional power tap in the harness.

The MOST data bus is a serial loop I think, so if you can connected into the MOST loop with more fiber then you can extend the loop.

There are Sirius install instructions around which explain how the fiber gets rewired for Sirius on prepped cars. This might help in adding an additional MOST data connection. You would have to tap the power from somewhere else.

Link to realoem fiber parts:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=61&fg=15
Old 04-13-2008, 03:58 PM
ObD
Contributors

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='559154' date='Apr 10 2008, 02:26 PM
if you didn't get the prep the most popular option is replacing the cd changer with it. On the E39 there was a jumper cable that would go from the sirius module back to the changer. it was a 12-position plug, if memory serves me right. so the stock cd changer cable plugs in to the sirius module, which then had an outbound connection for the cd changer. perhaps something similar could be done here. the fiber optics are actually easy, get a jumper cable and patch it in to the loop.

-felix
The E39 had the I-bus which was a breeze to work on and you could DIY since it was all hardware controlled.

The E60 is a PITA to upgrade since it requires both hardware and software to work. I agree that adding additional fiber in the loop could work ... but I'd be worried about reflections in the cable if it wasn't cut to a specific length knowing how BMW engineers its cars to the 6th decimal place.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ObD' post='560904' date='Apr 13 2008, 07:58 PM
The E39 had the I-bus which was a breeze to work on and you could DIY since it was all hardware controlled.

The E60 is a PITA to upgrade since it requires both hardware and software to work. I agree that adding additional fiber in the loop could work ... but I'd be worried about reflections in the cable if it wasn't cut to a specific length knowing how BMW engineers its cars to the 6th decimal place.

I was one who placed the OEM Sirius in the glove box instead of the changer. I purchased a MOST cable connector and the power plug from BMW. But it was no the wiring only a plastic piece that made everything snap in to the Sirius receiver. I searched high and low for the actual harness such as what you are looking for, just for different reasons.

There is a MOST barrel connector that is used when you don't have a CD Changer installed. The connector just connects the TX and RX MOST lines in the glove box so you have a continuous loop with the changer out.

I am not sure on this next part, but I do know there is a MOST loop on the left rear in the trunk above the TCU modules. I am sure this is part of the loop for providing NAV and ASSiST etc. It may be possible to tie in at that point ( you would only need a shorter optic such as what is already present [the green lines])

Not sure on the power for your car but I do have one power cable on the left side well ( I don't know what accessory this is for, maybe BT Module)
Old 04-14-2008, 03:44 AM
Contributors

The cable I need is used for the TCU, ULF, Logic 7 amp, Video Module, DVD Changer, Japanese Navigation Unit, Satellite Radio, Headset Connection. So what is the part number? If anyone has had these units retrofitted can you please look through your part list and check for the harness.

There is a MOST connector hub in the boot where all these connected. What I need is the part to connect the cd changer to this MOST connector hub.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 AM
ObD
Contributors

I don't think there is a part number. It's probably all plug and play to a build print ... similar to running CAT5 ethernet. All lengths of fiber are preassembled and built per a drawing. Here is the Sirius Install instructions for an E90 but the wiring theory should apply to an E60.

http://www.e90post.com/goodiesforyou...iriusRadio.pdf

Quick Reply: Sirius Prep cable or DVD Prep cable part no