E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sirius?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that your E60 had to have the "Sat Prep" as part of production in order to have the Sat system...is that still true, or is there a workaround...such as adding it thru the CD Changer, etc?

I love XM and have it rigged thru the Aux In in my glove compatment...with the merger "possibly" occuring next year, who knows what content we will have available...could be very exciting!
Old 05-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by spectrumsp' post='430379' date='May 31 2007, 02:42 PM
I have heard that your E60 had to have the "Sat Prep" as part of production in order to have the Sat system...is that still true, or is there a workaround...such as adding it thru the CD Changer, etc?

I love XM and have it rigged thru the Aux In in my glove compatment...with the merger "possibly" occuring next year, who knows what content we will have available...could be very exciting!

I just flown on the airline Airtram last night. They have xm radio built into every chair. I thought it wasn't as good as sirius but LOVED listening to the stereo while flying. First time on Airtram. I thought they were ok.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i/ Olive Green/ Beige Dakota Lthr/ Sport Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Cold Weather Pkg/ Dark Polpar trim/ Logic7/ Comfort Seats/ Rear Comfort Pkg/ Steptronic/ Euro red reflectors/ iPod Interface

Spectrumsp, it is true that you need Sat prep to get the OEM Sirius installed.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Members

Has anyone heard of any work-around for Sat using the CD Changer prep in the glove box? It would be fairly easy to run the Sat antenna to the location...

Just thinking outside the box...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by monnot66' post='430618' date='Jun 1 2007, 03:35 AM
Spectrumsp, it is true that you need Sat prep to get the OEM Sirius installed.
Yes you need the Sat Prep. It should listed among the options for the car if you have it.

Have not heard of any work arounds such as using the 6-disc changer in the glove box.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by monnot66' post='430249' date='May 31 2007, 09:42 AM
I know I'm a little late in the game here, but I'm looking to have the sirius pkg installed. Now that it's been out a while, I was wondering about the sound quality, variety of staions and just your opinion on the Sirius pkg.

Mine was factory installed with my 07. It's all I listen to in the car. I like CNBC because you get the live stock ticker feed during the day. I mostly listen to the cable news channels but there is every genre of music you could imagine if that's your thing. Performance has been good in my area, maybe once a week it cuts out for like 2 seconds. Only twice when starting the car there was no satellite reception, then on next restart it was back, no big deal in my opinion. My recommendation is to go for it Also, for got to mention, your subscription includes the Siruis internet radio which is a scaled down version of what you'll get in the car. Cool becuase I can listen to Sirus while at my computer.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

I renewed my subscription for the second year but had some misgivings. I love the variety, content and sound quality but I am disappointed with the dropped signals. The area I commute in is tree lined and hilly. I can count on the same areas each and every day to lose my signal. I have also noticed that on days with certain weather conditions the signal dropping is even worse. Yesterday it was hot, humid and hazy here and I was losing the signal even more. Terrain definitely affects reception also. In the winter when the trees have no leaves the reception is better though. In my next car I made consider HD radio over Sirius. Consider the area you live in before you decide to purchase sat. radio. I am sure owners in the desert Southwest don't experience the same issues.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='431041' date='Jun 2 2007, 07:53 AM
I renewed my subscription for the second year but had some misgivings. I love the variety, content and sound quality but I am disappointed with the dropped signals. The area I commute in is tree lined and hilly. I can count on the same areas each and every day to lose my signal. I have also noticed that on days with certain weather conditions the signal dropping is even worse. Yesterday it was hot, humid and hazy here and I was losing the signal even more. Terrain definitely affects reception also. In the winter when the trees have no leaves the reception is better though. In my next car I made consider HD radio over Sirius. Consider the area you live in before you decide to purchase sat. radio. I am sure owners in the desert Southwest don't experience the same issues.
Have you ever travelled somewhere else (not your general home area) with the car and seen a difference with the signal? I'm just curious since I have very few dropouts where I live. I realize that there are ground based repeaters in the urban area of my city but even when I travel to more rural areas, I ususally don't have any major problems. Maybe there's something wrong with your antenna or maybe it's just where you live?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i/ Olive Green/ Beige Dakota Lthr/ Sport Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Cold Weather Pkg/ Dark Polpar trim/ Logic7/ Comfort Seats/ Rear Comfort Pkg/ Steptronic/ Euro red reflectors/ iPod Interface

Anyone in the Louisville area have sirius? What kind of reception do you get?