E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sinking feeling in my stomach

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I have just had the worst feeling of violation in my life and it wasn't my e60 being recked or vandalized. I went to the atm to get lunch money, and it said nsf for a 40.00 withdrawl. I was like wtf, tried again same thing tried the other account NSf. Some bastard has gotten my debit card number and politly removed most of my saveings in that account and all checking to the tune of alittle over 3000.00 bucks i called the credit union to freeze the rest. They did but told me that i have to wait till Wed then the items should post and they can track down the unlawful use of my account. I am so hot right now that i could kill and just looking at my account the nsf charges have started.

Man this type of stuff has got to stop not even sure how they got the information, i never debit anything except gas and online purchases are religated to my Master card this sucks and i am furious.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributors

That does suck... I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope your weeks turns out better!

james
Old 02-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Similar thing happened to me a while ago with a credit card. Took forever to get it straighened out. Credit card company was NO help at all, in the end I felt like a criminal myself...

We had also fraud at work with our purchasing cards (~ 100 card numbers were somehow stolen and car parts for over $200,00 were purchased).

The helpless feeling is the worst. You'd like to kill this person, but have no idea who it was.

Jochen

Originally Posted by buddy' date='Feb 7 2005, 06:42 PM
I have just had the worst feeling of violation in my life and it wasn't my e60 being recked or vandalized.? I went to the atm to get lunch money, and it said nsf for a 40.00 withdrawl.? I was like wtf, tried again same thing tried the other account NSf.? Some bastard has gotten my debit card number? and politly removed most of my saveings in that account and all checking to the tune of alittle over 3000.00 bucks i called the credit union to freeze the rest. They did but told me that i have to wait till Wed then the items should post? and they can track down the unlawful use of my account.? I am so hot right now that i could kill and just looking at my account the nsf charges have started.?

Man this type of stuff has got to stop not even sure how they got the information, i never debit anything except gas and online purchases are religated to my Master card this sucks and i am furious.
[snapback]87629[/snapback]
Old 02-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

That is EXACTLY the reason why no one should ever have a debit card.

Most people do not understand the legal differences between credit cards and debit cards.

With a debit card, the money is taken directly out of your checking or savings account. If your card is stolen, or someone charges fraudulent purchases.... then those funds have left your account, and are ultimately your loss.

With a credit card, if someone steals your card and makes fraudulent purchases.... by federal law you are only liable for $50.... regardless how much the person spends.

Debit cards are 100% pointless. If you don't like paying finance charges, then get a credit card and just pay it off every month. It's the same as a debit card, but with more security.

The banks know that they are more at risk with a credit card than with a debit.... so they try to push debit cards on people.

Don't let the bank do that to you. Never use a debit card. They are pointless.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Feb 7 2005, 03:33 PM
Don't let the bank do that to you.? Never use a debit card.? They are pointless.
[snapback]87650[/snapback]
But what if you need moeny? Pulling $$ out of a credit card has fees...
Old 02-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

That's what an ATM card is for. But it's not a debit card.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 530i, titanium silver, grey, steptronic, sport pkg, premium pkg, zenon, premium sound

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Feb 7 2005, 04:33 PM

Most people do not understand the legal differences between credit cards and debit cards.

With a debit card, the money is taken directly out of your checking or savings account.? If your card is stolen, or someone charges fraudulent purchases....? then those funds have left your account, and are ultimately your loss.

With a credit card, if someone steals your card and makes fraudulent purchases....? by federal law you are only liable for $50.... regardless how much the person spends.

Debit cards are 100% pointless.? If you don't like paying finance charges, then get a credit card and just pay it off every month.? It's the same as a debit card, but with more security.

The banks know that they are more at risk with a credit card than with a debit....? so they try to push debit cards on people.

Don't let the bank do that to you.? Never use a debit card.? They are pointless.
A Visa or Mastercard logo debit card has the same protections as a credit card, $50.00 maximum loss, if reported to the issuer. The problem is the debit card will impact your checking account funds if it is lost or stolen before you can block it and you will have to wait to get reimbursed. With a credit card you don't have the problem of your checking getting depleted and if you pay the credit card off every month, there is usually no finance charge. (some exceptions, always read the fine print).
Old 02-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Feb 7 2005, 05:33 PM

With a debit card, the money is taken directly out of your checking or savings account.? If your card is stolen, or someone charges fraudulent purchases....? then those funds have left your account, and are ultimately your loss.

With a credit card, if someone steals your card and makes fraudulent purchases....? by federal law you are only liable for $50.... regardless how much the person spends.

Debit cards are 100% pointless.? If you don't like paying finance charges, then get a credit card and just pay it off every month.? It's the same as a debit card, but with more security.

The banks know that they are more at risk with a credit card than with a debit....? so they try to push debit cards on people.

I agree 100% and have never had a debit card and nor will I, at least until I am a lot more confident in the security or am forced to.

Had over $5,000 racked up on my Visa a while ago - someone duplicated and sold the card which resulted in a spending spree in Michigan. The credit card company was great and I had no problems - except of course they had to cancel and re-issue my cards. Debit cards are different and if someone is using yours, that could mean they have your PIN and you could be on the hook. That would totally suck.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

While still feeling violated,i have talked to a couple of people including my mother, and there seems to be a spree of thefts from BJ's which is the 1st, last and only place that i have ever used my debit card aside from the atm and gas pump.

I just found out that there was a letter sent to numerous members of a credit union stateing that they had to have there account numbers changed because most of them noticed that there accounts had been tampered with.

Also spoke to a coworker who's wifes aunt a Retired Verizon employee, which used the same credit union as i and also shoped at BJ's account was ravaged as was mine conisidence, i dont think so.

If this is the case and it turns out to be BJ's (which is like price club or cosco) what can i do to them legally for this.

I figure on throwing the book at anyone involved in the theft of my megar but hard worked for funds.