E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, about to buy or order a 530 or 545 but i don't know what transmission is appropriate for this larger sedan.

The thing is i always driven manual on smaller cars and my question is does it feel strange driving a manual on a larger sedan ??

You see, i use to own a 325i with manual and a 2003 Nissan 35OZ w/ manual also.
I love manual transmission is more fun and to me is more safe.
So i am confuse on if i should still get manual,SMG or Steptronic ? Also, i do have 2 kids now and people are saying a Automatic is more appropriate.
Or am i just crazy of thinking this way ???

Anyway, can someone give me some feed back if you know what i am trying to say?
Also, a question for all the 6 Speed owner. How does it feel driving a manual on a large sedan ?

Don't know and Confuse???
HELP !!!

Old 12-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

You should take the SMG, IMHO.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search for SMG vs Steptronic or vice versa. Rudy has a very good point about which one you should choose.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by kc5354' date='Dec 17 2004, 05:28 PM

Ok, about to buy or order a 530 or 545 but i don't know what transmission is appropriate for this larger sedan.

The thing is i always driven manual on smaller cars and my question is does it feel strange driving a manual on a larger sedan ??

You see, i use to own a 325i with manual and a 2003 Nissan 35OZ w/ manual also.
I love manual transmission is more fun and to me is more safe.
So i am confuse on if i should still get manual or SMG ? Also, i do have 2 kids now and people are saying a Automatic is more appropriate.
Or am i just crazy of thinking this way ???

Anyway, can someone give me some feed back if you know what i am trying to say?
Also, a question for all the 6 Speed owner. How does it feel driving a manual on a large sedan ?

Don't know and Confuse???
HELP !!!

?? ? ? ? ?
[snapback]70105[/snapback]
Well I have three kids. Unless you have to hold a bottle or blow someones nose while you are driving it makes no difference.

I can assure you that the pleasure of driving the 6spd on the E60 is much more than on a smaller car. Shifting through 6 gears with a 340BHP V8 mated to the transmission is a high by itself.

Now this thread will quickly fill up with suggestions to go SMG. (2 posts aleady while I was typing) I have had just a short hour with an E60 SMG so I cannot really comment on it, other than I was anxious to get back to my car and row my own. They say you need time and practice to appreciate the SMG. Maybe on my next E60.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:42 PM
JDN
Contributors

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding on the E60. As far as transmission is concerned, it might depend on your objective with the car. If you are after the luxury features, go for the automatic transmission, especially if you decide on the 530 route. If sportiness is what you are after and sporty handling, go for the SMG. Most of us SMG owners previously drove manuals. At first the SMG takes a while to train you, but after the fact, it is a great transmission. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributors

welcome kc5354

first, if you are considering the 530i, be sure to get a spring build with the new R6 3.0, its a new engine that produces ~258bhp

i also had a 325 with a stick when I was a bit younger, and i loved it...sticks are great fun to drive ...now i have a steptronic which is a lot of fun too, i use it in manual often and it convinced me that i want SMG next.

i would expect the E60 to handle like an executive sports sedan from BMW, and i know you wont feel its as big as it is when you are behind the wheel

When i finally get my new car next year, it will definitely have SMG. I know there are alot of purest here, and the 6 speed is great fun to clutch drive, but i love the formula one concept, and the paddles on the steering wheel should make driving really fun especially at the limits....

im done with the clutching unless its a 911 or an italian beauty... ...though even ferrari is now offering an smg type tranny....
Old 12-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

Visit a few dealers and get to test drive all of the transmissions.. that way you'll get hands-on knowledge and understanding of how they work and what would best suit your new car.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributors

I've driven 4-6 speeds my entire life and the 545i is the very best of them. The question is not so much how does an incrementally larger sedan feel with the six speed but how does a powerful V8 feel mated to a manual -- all's I can say it's awesome IMHO.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

The E60 "feels" smaller than it is. And with the HP & Torque, the 6-speed should be a blast to drive.
I'd be more concerned about a 6 speed manual in a 7 series, but not the 5.
I went with the SMG but if you are a true "stick" driver, I don't think the car is too big.
(but test drive the SMG anyway... you may be pleasantly surprised).
Old 12-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Members

My vote is to get anything but the automatic.

I have SMG because the traffic in NYC is insane and also I do happen to like it MUCH better than all of my former 6 speeds.

By the way ACTIVE STEERING is a MUST, pay whatever they want for it......

Quick Reply: Silly Question ?