E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sick of this car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

Topic pretty much says it all. I have electrical gremlins that the dealer and Indy are having difficulty diagnosing. So far relpaced battery, alternator and burnt out MPM (with no signs of H2O damage, and sunroof tested negative for leaks). Now I have several errors (seatbelt tensioner, passenger side airbag, rear side airbags, electronic system malfunction) and battery dying every 6 hours unless I disconnect negative cable (car does go to sleep).

Luckily I have an aftermarket warranty thru USAA, with no deductible. But that does not change the fact this car is a piece of crap. it only has 68K on the clock, and has all these issues. My E60 had 130K on the clock and only needed an alternator in 11 years.

I was sadly depressed with the fit and finish of the E46 interior, but it was mechanically sound. The E60 has a great interior, but not mechanically sound. Pretty sure this is our last BMW. Sticking to Dodge and Mercedes from here on out.

Rant over.....I still love the twisties in this car though!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Did you mistype when you said the "E60 had 130K and only needed an alternator"? Did you mean E46?

Also, you say the E60 is mechanically unsound, but I think you mean electronically unsound.

Finally, you don't say how you acquired the E60 (assuming that's the one you're complaining about). If you bought used from non-BMW seller, well you're looking for trouble. Maybe the car had been flooded and then sold as sound.

Don't blame the car, blame the path it took to get to you...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
Did you mistype when you said the "E60 had 130K and only needed an alternator"? Did you mean E46?

Also, you say the E60 is mechanically unsound, but I think you mean electronically unsound.

Finally, you don't say how you acquired the E60 (assuming that's the one you're complaining about). If you bought used from non-BMW seller, well you're looking for trouble. Maybe the car had been flooded and then sold as sound.

Don't blame the car, blame the path it took to get to you...
LOL, I think the OP was mainly venting. Cut the guy some slack.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Dude get Dodge Challenger SRT8 that's waay more unique than beemer
Or the Charger if you need more space
Old 10-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

Originally Posted by dR.jonezz
Dude get Dodge Challenger SRT8 that's waay more unique than beemer
Or the Charger if you need more space

Yes, that is what I drive. BMW is the wifes car now. I love it, but this electrical gremlin is killing me.

And yes, I meant 130K on the E46. I purchased the E60 from a BMW dealer, but it is not close to me, so no luck there.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Sorry to hear that you're having problems, there must a be a reason why bimmers have build a good name as reliable cars.

I'm sure you could have just as much trouble with any car Dodge or MB, there is no car that is perfect.
Hang in there and I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the issue soon, you got warranty you got nothing to loose other than some frustration.
I feel the same way sometimes, but once the car gets back on track it puts a smile on my face every time i drive it..
GL, and I'm sure you'll resolve the issues soon.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

I have a Love and Hate relationship with my E60. hope you get everything sorted out bud.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by Kaizen
LOL, I think the OP was mainly venting. Cut the guy some slack.
well, the problem with that is lurkers come here and all they see are complaints and putdowns. For the most part, BMW are great cars, definitely are the most fun to drive, but they do require some proper care and feeding. If you are expecting a Toyota that you simply change the oil every 5,000 miles and no worries, you are mistaken.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
well, the problem with that is lurkers come here and all they see are complaints and putdowns. For the most part, BMW are great cars, definitely are the most fun to drive, but they do require some proper care and feeding. If you are expecting a Toyota that you simply change the oil every 5,000 miles and no worries, you are mistaken.

Agreed, and having had 4 Jeeps (including an SRT8), if you think that a Chrysler product will be more reliable in the long run you're delusional. Considering trim was falling off my SRT8 within a week, their build quality sucks donkey balls.
If reliability is your main concern get a Toyota or Honda, if fun and pure driving sensation top the list with reliability a close 2nd, it' kind of hard to go wrong with a BMW.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by HiOffcr
Topic pretty much says it all. I have electrical gremlins that the dealer and Indy are having difficulty diagnosing. So far relpaced battery, alternator and burnt out MPM (with no signs of H2O damage, and sunroof tested negative for leaks). Now I have several errors (seatbelt tensioner, passenger side airbag, rear side airbags, electronic system malfunction) and battery dying every 6 hours unless I disconnect negative cable (car does go to sleep).

Luckily I have an aftermarket warranty thru USAA, with no deductible. But that does not change the fact this car is a piece of crap. it only has 68K on the clock, and has all these issues. My E60 had 130K on the clock and only needed an alternator in 11 years.

I was sadly depressed with the fit and finish of the E46 interior, but it was mechanically sound. The E60 has a great interior, but not mechanically sound. Pretty sure this is our last BMW. Sticking to Dodge and Mercedes from here on out.

Rant over.....I still love the twisties in this car though!!!
I hear those Dodge Neons are real chick magnets....

I know you're venting, but you can't judge a whole car brand by just one car. I'm on my third BMW and so far I have to say that they're the most reliable cars I've owned. It also helps when you have a great relationship with your SA, and yes, the more electronics you put in a car the more electrical gremlins they will have. Mechanically, they're still bullet-proof, especially the in-line six.

See if your dealer would install the latest and greatest software; maybe split the cost with you. All the mysterious electrical warnings I used to get, when I first bought the car, have disappeared since the software upgrade.

Good luck, bro. I hope the third Bimmer is a charm.

Quick Reply: Sick of this car!!!