E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shutters in my Nostrils

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by CRRobert' post='231966' date='Jan 30 2006, 01:01 PM
Per E60sim post, Previous thread discussion and answer.

Iceman's answer

if you read further, they are not being included in newer cars at all anymore.
good found. I agree with Iceman's answer
Old 01-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='231089' date='Jan 28 2006, 04:51 PM
it is more of US vs. Euro spec car
it comes even on European 545i....... as well all know US spec cars have generaly few cost saving things.... several covers and plastics missing around the engine........ sligthly detuned engine..... etc etc..... sorry guys
Hmm... here we go again with the detuned US engine.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

And read the part about SAE HP and PS HP...

Here's a snip of the wrong measure some companies use (even BMW in the EU but not the US).

Code:
PS

This unit (German: Pferdest?rke = horse strength) is no longer a lawful unit, but is still commonly used in Europe, South America and Japan, especially by the automotive and motorcycle industry. It was adopted throughout continental Europe with designations equivalent to the English "horse power", but mathematically different from the British unit. It is defined by the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB)[2] in Braunschweig as exactly:

1 PS = 75 kp?m/s = 735.49875 W = 0.9863201652997627 hp (SAE)

The PS was adopted by the Deutsches Institut f?r Normung (DIN), and subsequently, by the automotive industry throughout most of Europe. (In the nineteenth century, however, the French did not use this German unit, but had one of their own, the Poncelet.) In 1992, the PS was rendered obsolete by EEC directives, where it was replaced by the kilowatt as the official power measuring unit, but in situations where horsepower was used for commercial and advertising purposes, it continued to be used, as customers are not familiar with the usage of kilowatts for combustion engines.

The European and Japanese automotive industries may use "horsepower" or "hp" (rather than "PS" or "CV", etc.) when referring to metric horsepower in their press-releases or in the media.
So note that a BMW with a 400hp (PS) engine would be sold as having about 395hp (SAE) in the US. Same engine, different measure of HP.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='232013' date='Jan 30 2006, 07:27 PM
Hmm... here we go again with the detuned US engine.
Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower
And read the part about SAE HP and PS HP...
Here's a snip of the wrong measure some companies use (even BMW in the EU but not the US).
Code:
PS
This unit (German: Pferdest?rke = horse strength) is no longer a lawful unit, but is still commonly used in Europe, South America and Japan, especially by the automotive and motorcycle industry. It was adopted throughout continental Europe with designations equivalent to the English "horse power", but mathematically different from the British unit. It is defined by the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB)[2] in Braunschweig as exactly:
	1 PS = 75 kp?m/s = 735.49875 W = 0.9863201652997627 hp (SAE)

The PS was adopted by the Deutsches Institut f?r Normung (DIN), and subsequently, by the automotive industry throughout most of Europe. (In the nineteenth century, however, the French did not use this German unit, but had one of their own, the Poncelet.) In 1992, the PS was rendered obsolete by EEC directives, where it was replaced by the kilowatt as the official power measuring unit, but in situations where horsepower was used for commercial and advertising purposes, it continued to be used, as customers are not familiar with the usage of kilowatts for combustion engines.

The European and Japanese automotive industries may use "horsepower" or "hp" (rather than "PS" or "CV", etc.) when referring to metric horsepower in their press-releases or in the media.
So note that a BMW with a 400hp (PS) engine would be sold as having about 395hp (SAE) in the US. Same engine, different measure of HP.

Chill out mate ! This is about shutters in your nostrils not hp..
Old 01-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='232004
Per E60sim post, Previous thread discussion and answer.

Iceman's answer

if you read further, they are not being included in newer cars at all anymore.
good found. I agree with Iceman's answer
[/quote]
Well thanks for everyone who answered my original post, and thanks for all who pointed out that the subject had been discussed before, several months ago. I never thought to search for "flaps" but let's not go there.

I am still not completely sure what these flaps/shutters actually do - Iceman's reply seems a little hard to understand (at least to me) - I'm not sure how the flaps can cool the oil while they are closed, but maybe they open part way (45 degrees?) to deflect air downwards.

Anyway, it does seem as though BMW have decided not to fit them anymore, which I guess saves money, weight and is one less motorized thing to go wrong.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:39 AM
Contributors

I only realised I had them on my 545i (March 04) after I had hit a deer at 60 mph, (just bumper damage and new radiator and intercooler - same cannot be said of the deer). They are now closed and it does not look like there is any electrical means of opening them, althought they move to the touch.