E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I wait for September?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have finally settled on the purchase of a new 530xi. My question is: Should I order now for August delivery or should I wait the extra month or two and get the September build (which may have extra features, facelift, etc. if any). Any insight, advice? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

For the sake of 1 month, I'd certainly go for a september build. If anything really happens in term of facelift, it will be from the september manufacturing.

The dealer, even if they knew, wouldn't tell you the truth, as they want to sell cars in August, too.

One month is not gonna hurt. I'd take the september option, as this will be the "real" 07 model, built after the factory holidays.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Silver BMW 530i Premium Package, Sports Package, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Sun Shades, iPod Retrofit kit, M-Tech Kit, OEM Style 172 Wheels

When exactly does the factory re-open and start producing cars? Mid August? Or End of August?

I am also doing ED in Aug/Sept been leaning towards Sept to get the updates (if Any) but I want to go ASAP in Sept. while at the same time don't want to get a Pre-update E60.

When I asked my dealer when the factory reopens, he told me BMW ED is open all year round...???
Old 06-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Please give us you whereabouts linus!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='302970' date='Jun 25 2006, 04:08 PM
Please give us you whereabouts linus!
Ricracing, I'm in Toronto, Canada.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Thanks for the info linus.

The fact is that the BMW 5 Series is built exclusively at the BMW Group's
largest production plant, the BMW Dingolfing Plant some 100 kilometres
from Munich.
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index.html?....source=overview

The Germans factory workers tend to have their holidays in August.

The plants are cleaned and refitted then ready for a new season.

Therefore BMW MY chane in September.

When you order you car be sure that it is built in October.
(Leave them seome adjustment time).

Your dealer might find you a tough customer - let them know you are!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Members

Feedback is much appreciated olli and ricracing. I'm surprised you'd wait this long considering that the current generation E60 has been in production for some time now.

Another point - I'm really struggling with whether I should get 530xi or 530i with sport, active steering and dynamic drive. Living in Toronto, we get our fair share of snow (although less than many places in NY state given the lake effect) for only 3.5 months. In either case, I will be sure to use winter tires. But do you believe I NEED to get the xi at the expense of active steering and dynamic drive?
Old 06-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

I wud also but bear in mind that BMW usually raise the price like 5-7% each Sept, plz correct me if I am wrong. That is why I did not wait in 2005 for the new mag. engine.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by linus' post='302980' date='Jun 25 2006, 11:47 PM
Living in Toronto, we get our fair share of snow (although less than many places in NY state given the lake effect) for only 3.5 months. In either case, I will be sure to use winter tires. But do you believe I NEED to get the xi at the expense of active steering and dynamic drive?
Just check out my sign - it no bull, and we do know about snow and cold winters.

Can you drive, how is the plowing overthere there, how much you you drive in the winter
and in what conditions generally?

A E60 with good winter tyres takes you alsmost any where - a x-E60 with a not experienced
driver will for sure find a ditch.
That's because you'll feel too safe...
Old 06-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Personally, I'd go for the sport package.

I've never read what gas-efficiency penalty is applied to the 4wd, but you're paying it year round, and you are driving on those "all season" (read: sloppy handling) tires. Again, from my own experience, as a skier living in snow trerritory upstate NY, I have NEVER had a problem with good snows, and that dates back to 87 for high perf. 5s with sticks and before that with 3 series. I could never understand how BMW got a bad winter rap, unless it was from guys coming from FWD cars and expecting to get away with summer tires.

As for waiting, I'd be cetain about the differential you may pay when your trade-in is "another year old." I'm still steaming from the March 06 BMW stunt of introducing the 07 550s 6 mos ahead of time, making mine a year older in only 6 mos. "BMW reserves the right to determine what model-year" their cars are (read the fine print). Keep that in mind when playing calendar games with them and of course, the dealer.

Good luck,
Ray Hull

Quick Reply: Should I wait for September?