E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I sell my e60 and buy a e39 M5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

Thanks for all the replies.
I didnt get a chance to go look at it this weekend. Had to put in extra hours at work.

I have driven the e39 m5 before with dinan upgrades and I have also driven a tuned e60 m5. Both cars have their place. I just like the m5 because it felt more raw, where the e60 (amazing car!) had a lot of refinement to it. I dont want to make this an e39 vs e60 thing, but I am just saying.

I am by no means a rookie driver, I just bought the e60 as my daily, but then I sold my MINI which left me wanting more for thrills. the e39 seems like the perfect combo for both, which wont put me in more overall debt to a car. Maintenance is one thing, but payments is a whole nother story.

As far as the car being a sports car...to me it doesnt matter how you label it, the car is big, four doors, and very fast, call it what you wanna call it.

Regarding reliability, I think that if I keep up to date with maintenance reliability shouldnt be an issue. The biggest problem I've been reading about is the vanos (ill look for one that has been recently replaced), so I guess thats all I'd have to keep an extra eye on. All other things like bushings control arms etc are normal to all the BMW's I've owned (5 all together).

The more and more I think about it, the more I think it is a better decision to go with the m5. I just want to take my time to find the right one, whenever that may be. So I guess that puts me on the prowl for one.

Thanks again for all the replies, they were very helpful!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 E60 530i

Originally Posted by FRONJONI
Thanks for all the replies.
I didnt get a chance to go look at it this weekend. Had to put in extra hours at work.

I have driven the e39 m5 before with dinan upgrades and I have also driven a tuned e60 m5. Both cars have their place. I just like the m5 because it felt more raw, where the e60 (amazing car!) had a lot of refinement to it. I dont want to make this an e39 vs e60 thing, but I am just saying.

I am by no means a rookie driver, I just bought the e60 as my daily, but then I sold my MINI which left me wanting more for thrills. the e39 seems like the perfect combo for both, which wont put me in more overall debt to a car. Maintenance is one thing, but payments is a whole nother story.

As far as the car being a sports car...to me it doesnt matter how you label it, the car is big, four doors, and very fast, call it what you wanna call it.

Regarding reliability, I think that if I keep up to date with maintenance reliability shouldnt be an issue. The biggest problem I've been reading about is the vanos (ill look for one that has been recently replaced), so I guess thats all I'd have to keep an extra eye on. All other things like bushings control arms etc are normal to all the BMW's I've owned (5 all together).

The more and more I think about it, the more I think it is a better decision to go with the m5. I just want to take my time to find the right one, whenever that may be. So I guess that puts me on the prowl for one.

Thanks again for all the replies, they were very helpful!
If you're not afraid of the reliability issues, then the E39 M5 is the perfect car for you. As Bimmer magazine put it, "the E39 M5 is probably the performance bargain of the 21st Century." But they also said, "the E39 M5 is one of those cars that are notoriously cheap to buy but not cheap to own." They also said that some M5 owners took their cars to the racetrack several times a year. So yeah, be careful when shopping for the car. I hope you find the perfect M5! That car is amazing!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

I wont track the m5 definitely not. As much as I'd want to, I know the consequences of tracking a car. Been there done that, not gonna do it again for a while lol.