E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I invest in extended maintenance plan

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:36 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 528xi with 35,000 miles. My wife now drives it 3,000 to 5,000 a year.

When the warranty expired, I purchased the extended warranty.

I was thinking about getting extended maintenace plan. My concern is that the maintenance is miliage based and I'd be paying thousands of dollars for minimal scheduled maintence because not many miles are being put on the car.

Anyone have n opinion?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

My opinion on this is that extended warranty is a good idea, but the extended maintenance is less important.
You could probably get your maintenance items done more affordably at an independent shop.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

As with all insurance, extended warranties make lots of $$$ for the companies selling them, so unless you absolutely cannot tolerate an occasional cost spike when something breaks, you're better off without them.

Extended maintenance is even more nuts. You can predict exactly what it's going to cost over the next 50,000 miles, or whatever the coverage is. Why prepay it? Plus it will only cover factory-recommended maintenance, which is not anywhere near enough. The notion of "lifetime fill" for the cooling system, transmission and differential is pure fantasy. And in your climate, you ought to change the brake fluid every year.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wolrab
As with all insurance, extended warranties make lots of $$$ for the companies selling them, so unless you absolutely cannot tolerate an occasional cost spike when something breaks, you're better off without them.

Extended maintenance is even more nuts. You can predict exactly what it's going to cost over the next 50,000 miles, or whatever the coverage is. Why prepay it? Plus it will only cover factory-recommended maintenance, which is not anywhere near enough. The notion of "lifetime fill" for the cooling system, transmission and differential is pure fantasy. And in your climate, you ought to change the brake fluid every year.
+1... I asked that question couple weeks ago and still debating but since ming is at 50k and barely drive it... I guess I'll take the bullet but if you're constantly driving it well I would've taken a different approach.

***Again I'm still debating every single day.