E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I give up my 6 disc CD changer for ipod connection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bauska530i' post='541935' date='Mar 9 2008, 06:43 PM
I would suggest iPod connection. I personally got tired from changing CD's. If you sit in drivers seat with seat belt on - it is almost impossible to reach the changer anyway! If you are concerned with audio quality, you can get higher bit rate files or even use Apple Lossless format which is almost in CD quality.

Definitely iPod.

When I ordered my new car, I asked if they could delete the CD Changer from the Media Pack and replace with the iPod conection instead.. they couldn't so I got the iPod in addition. I know for a fact that it is very unlikely that i will ever even put a CD in the changer as the iPod integration is so good.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Members

I had the usb ipod interface installed in my recently purchased '06 530xit as part of the deal I made for the car, and it is a good choice with a couple of reservations. The sound quality is good, but the menu integration is somewhat lacking:

-500 song display limit, so you have to separate your library into playlists
-starts at the beginning of the current song when you select the ipod, not at the point the song left off
-and worst of all, in random mode (best reason for an ipod) when you skip to the next selection, it moves to the next song in the playlist, not the next random selection. Terrible misinterpretation of the ipod interface

But you do have (limited) control of the ipod, the data displays on the screen, the steering wheel controls are functional, and it charges the ipod. I also installed a Dice cradle in the glovebox to hold the ipod; it doesn't slide around and you can remove it with one hand without grasping the connector.

I have to assume that the interface utilizes the line level outputs incorporated in the docking connector, not the digital output, therefore all D/A functions are in the ipod.

I am very particular about sound quality issues, so 99% of the files on my ipod are uncompressed aiff files directly off of the cds. With a 60g ipod, this means just over 1000 song files. This way, I avoid all of the mp3 compression junk.

So, it is most likely worth doing the install, but it it is not yet a perfect system
Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

I've had my car for 3 weeks and havn't used a cd once. Go with the ipod usb for sure

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='541734' date='Mar 8 2008, 09:07 PM
I use ipods a lot and have a few, including an iphone. I'm just not sure if I want to give up (my perception, correct me if I'm wrong) the superior sound quality of a 6 CD changer for an ipod connection. I have an appointment in 2 days to do this. Currently I just burn CDs from itunes and load up the changer every few months. Does the ipod sound quality match the CD changer?

Ir's a 2005 with Logic7 and Sirius by the way.