E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I get this e60?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 01:12 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi

Originally Posted by glyph
^^^^ Have you priced injectors? Because they're NOT cheap, and, honestly, not that easy to swap out without the proper tool and consumable parts.

FWIW, I went into my n54 ice cold- I'd never owned a BMW before, but I was super handy, with a garage full of tools, access to a machine shop and oscilloscopes at work, and a second car to drive so I would never have to fight with my car just to get to work in the morning... I'm not saying no, but be prepared for this thing to live rent free in your head while you try and get it sorted or stack the chips to buy parts. I've had my wagon for a year and a half now, and have put on maybe 25k miles in that time, but it's been a LOT. I love the car, and I love working on cars, so it hasn't been that bad, but working on these cars is a way different experience than your lancer. To give you a sense- I bought a dedicated laptop to run INPA and ISTA for this car, and have bookmarked both newtis.info and realOEM. Oil changes are super easy, so are plugs other than the specialty ($10) socket you need to change them, but they're honestly the tip of the iceberg.

I'd keep looking to be honest. Three owners in a little more than 2 years. 5 owners total, the last had it for only 2500 miles...

There are a lot of red flags there.

Though, if you're handy and planning to do the work yourself, you're close enough to FCPEuro to drive there and save on shipping.
The owner said he replaced the injectors 1 & 3 with index 12. What does this mean?
Old 01-14-2021, 01:20 PM
New Members

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i auto

Originally Posted by glyph
This car has had three owners in a little more than two years... UM.
This does stand out a bit.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2x E61, 1x E60, 1x E90
Model Year: 07,07,10
Engine: N52, N54

That is a little steep for a car with misfires. I would talk the price a little more. AWD N54 cars are a little harder to work on due to 2 turbos/awd up front. I would pass unless it was $1500.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:16 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: 08 535I Sport
Default Twin Turbo ?

Originally Posted by dcfjord
That is a little steep for a car with misfires. I would talk the price a little more. AWD N54 cars are a little harder to work on due to 2 turbos/awd up front. I would pass unless it was $1500.
Is this car actually a single turbo or twin ?
I own a 08 535I and my son has an 08 535XI and they don’t say anything about Twin turbo on the engine covers etc. I’ve been working on them both myself and Installed a new water pump in/out hoses thermostat and antifreeze in mine and that got me right up there with the turbo on the outlet side of the pump. Is there another turbo down stream?? And still the drivers side dual tip exhaust ‘cluster’ , I’ve never seen engineering like this in my life .
( also on another note ) the car fax noted that the valve cover gasket was changed and then two months later the valve cover itself was changed 🥴 that’s telling me that there may be some inexperience at the shop 😅. I just made the same mistake on my sons car and apparently the valve covers warp so it’s best to replace cover and gasket at the same time , especially because of the integrated PCV valve etc in the cover. In any case it’s good that you love the car because that makes everything easier . All the best ...
Old 01-19-2021, 07:20 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Joelmc
I own a 08 535I and my son has an 08 535XI and they don’t say anything about Twin turbo on the engine covers etc. I’ve been working on them both myself and Installed a new water pump in/out hoses thermostat and antifreeze in mine and that got me right up there with the turbo on the outlet side of the pump. Is there another turbo down stream?? And still the drivers side dual tip exhaust ‘cluster’ , I’ve never seen engineering like this in my life .
( also on another note ) the car fax noted that the valve cover gasket was changed and then two months later the valve cover itself was changed 🥴 that’s telling me that there may be some inexperience at the shop 😅. I just made the same mistake on my sons car and apparently the valve covers warp so it’s best to replace cover and gasket at the same time , especially because of the integrated PCV valve etc in the cover. In any case it’s good that you love the car because that makes everything easier . All the best ...
All 535 cars had the N54 engine (Twin turbo, 1 per each bank of 3 located right off the head). The later E90 335 and the F10 535 cars changed to the N55 engine (single turbo) which was lighter/more efficient but has less power potential and internal reliability.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2x E61, 1x E60, 1x E90
Model Year: 07,07,10
Engine: N52, N54

Originally Posted by Joelmc
It is a twin turbo. N54 are twin turbocharged and the successor is N55 with one bigger turbo.
2 snails:

Old 01-24-2021, 02:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 E61 530xi - Premium, Cold Weather Package
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by ayeimmo
Also, i'm trying to learn how to DIY with this car. I have a garage that needs some cleaning out. I wanted to learn how to do my own oil changes, change spark plugs & coils, maybe even the fuel injectors in the near future.
ayeimmo: Just a couple of inputs.
I'd concur that multiple owners in a couple of years is a big red flag. On the other hand, I've bought virtually all my most-interesting cars from previous owners who got overwhelmed by some aspect of maintenance. So the previous owners' f-ups are not necessarily showstoppers, at least in my view...
From your perspective, however: These are not beginner's cars. Your eagerness is a help, but you'll have to back that up with a significant investment in tools, pretty shortly. At least a set of Star (Torx) drivers and sockets to start...
Always work hard to gather all maintenance records...
But maintenance records, even when you have 'em, aren't necessarily what they appear to be:
To further complicate your decision algorithm: I wanted to replace my head gasket to address what seemed to be relatively minor oil leaks. Turned out that a previous worker - a 'professional' shop! - had sheared off a couple of head cover bolts in the replacement, then left the sheared heads in place. Remember that most bolts on these engines are aluminum; use once, then discard.
My life with this car started with replacement of all coolant hoses. Again, previous worker had cracked or snapped various hose nozzles, connectors, guides... Well, you'll see.
On misfires: I can say that the couple I've had were addressed with an overdue replacement of all spark plugs; nothing more profound.
We are all gonna be eager to see your decision on this bad boy!
Old 01-26-2021, 03:08 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 535i Auto Sport Pkg

Sounds like the previous owner tried to fix the misfires and couldn't. I would definitely have that diagnosed in the PPI. That mileage is when a lot of stuff will start to fail. Replace all the coolant hoses, high pressure fuel pump could start failing at any moment. If 2 injectors have been replaced, the rest could soon follow $$$. Should do a fluid/filter change on the trans soon. Check the control arm bushings. Like others have said, be prepared to spend a couple hundred a month in the first year to get it in good running order. Water pumps can fail or start leaking at any mileage. All that said, its a pretty cool car. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2021, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I didn't read through all the posts but ill put my 2 cents in. If you have an 08 that has an MSD80, then you're not going to fix the issue by changing injectors. Remove your DME and have your MOSFETs replaced. I believe the effected 535xi productions were from 04/08-08/08. I could be wrong(30BA, 30B if you have one bank down replace all six and get it over with. Find out if you have those codes and of so that's your issue