E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get this e60?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 06:55 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi
Default Should I get this e60?

I honestly think the e60 is the best looking car ever. I came across a 2008 BMW 535xi with a clean title and almost 93,000 miles. Im going to attach the Carfax to my post for referral. The current owner has just replaced the Water Pump with the thermostat, Engine Valve Cover, Misfires on Cylinder 1 & 3 ( most likely just replaced the spark plugs and coils), and also replaced injectors 1 and 3.

It does have a check engine light on for a misfire on cylinders 1, 2, and 3.
THOUGHTS?
He wants 4000. Most likely can get him to go 3500 to 4000.
The following users liked this post:
Joelmc (01-19-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

A lot depends on your budget and how handy you are with a wrench. The purchase price is only the starting point. Maintaining a 13-year-old E60 can run up to $2k a year. For sure, get a PPI done on it.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Hard pass.

I don't feel too warm and cozy about those misfires.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:16 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT

Misfires are likely coil/plug or the owner not doing carbon cleaning. Injectors are possible depending on index but if he has replaced them then I wouldnt worry.

I don't see misfires as a huge issue on the N54
The following users liked this post:
Joelmc (01-19-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:14 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: n54 e61

Could also be mosfet issues causing a bank to have all three misfire.

According to the carfax, you're still on your original HPFP, though the water pump had been done earlier, in july of 2016 at ~58k miles. I'd besuspect about the water pumps, and why this car has killed two of them. I have a feeling this car has been driven HARD (is there an MHD flash or anything on it?)... which might have contributed to the possible mosfet issue. This car has had three owners in a little more than two years... UM.

Do you have a sense of what index the injectors are? Also, run the vin through and see if there are any recalls out there. (just checked, nope, no recall outstanding for injectors).

For $3500-4000, that's not a bad deal if the body and interior are good, but be prepared to spend another $3500-4000 to get it full sorted. Basically, "you can afford to own one, if you can afford to buy two."

Have someone who knows what's what check the Mosfets.

Last edited by glyph; 01-14-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi

Originally Posted by glyph
Basically, "you can afford to own one, if you can afford to buy two."
That's a new one on me. I hadn't heard that one before. There's a bit of truth to that though.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:31 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by glyph
Could also be mosfet issues causing a bank to have all three misfire.

According to the carfax, you're still on your original HPFP, though the water pump had been done earlier, in july of 2016 at ~58k miles. I'd besuspect about the water pumps, and why this car has killed two of them. I have a feeling this car has been driven HARD (is there an MHD flash or anything on it?)... which might have contributed to the possible mosfet issue. This car has had three owners in a little more than two years... UM.

Do you have a sense of what index the injectors are? Also, run the vin through and see if there are any recalls out there. (just checked, nope, no recall outstanding for injectors).

For $3500-4000, that's not a bad deal if the body and interior are good, but be prepared to spend another $3500-4000 to get it full sorted. Basically, "you can afford to own one, if you can afford to buy two."

Have someone who knows what's what check the Mosfets.

i'm 19 years old and i'm finishing my sophomore year of college online at the moment while working at a walmart 2 minutes from my house that i learned to enjoy. i make about 1200- 1600 a month from walmart and i already have a 2015 mitsubishi lancer ES as my daily with 85k on the dash that my parents help pay for insurance for since i payed for the car on my own. my parents don't ask for rent and i have some bread saved up. i'm going to take it in to a Euro specific mechanic for a PPI the day I take a look at it. lets see
Old 01-14-2021, 10:34 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
That's a new one on me. I hadn't heard that one before. There's a bit of truth to that though.

Also, i'm trying to learn how to DIY with this car. I have a garage that needs some cleaning out. I wanted to learn how to do my own oil changes, change spark plugs & coils, maybe even the fuel injectors in the near future.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:35 AM
New Members

^^^^ Have you priced injectors? Because they're NOT cheap, and, honestly, not that easy to swap out without the proper tool and consumable parts.

FWIW, I went into my n54 ice cold- I'd never owned a BMW before, but I was super handy, with a garage full of tools, access to a machine shop and oscilloscopes at work, and a second car to drive so I would never have to fight with my car just to get to work in the morning... I'm not saying no, but be prepared for this thing to live rent free in your head while you try and get it sorted or stack the chips to buy parts. I've had my wagon for a year and a half now, and have put on maybe 25k miles in that time, but it's been a LOT. I love the car, and I love working on cars, so it hasn't been that bad, but working on these cars is a way different experience than your lancer. To give you a sense- I bought a dedicated laptop to run INPA and ISTA for this car, and have bookmarked both newtis.info and realOEM. Oil changes are super easy, so are plugs other than the specialty ($10) socket you need to change them, but they're honestly the tip of the iceberg.

Originally Posted by ayeimmo
i'm 19 years old and i'm finishing my sophomore year of college online at the moment while working at a walmart 2 minutes from my house that i learned to enjoy. i make about 1200- 1600 a month from walmart and i already have a 2015 mitsubishi lancer ES as my daily with 85k on the dash that my parents help pay for insurance for since i payed for the car on my own. my parents don't ask for rent and i have some bread saved up. i'm going to take it in to a Euro specific mechanic for a PPI the day I take a look at it. lets see
I'd keep looking to be honest. Three owners in a little more than 2 years. 5 owners total, the last had it for only 2500 miles...

There are a lot of red flags there.

Though, if you're handy and planning to do the work yourself, you're close enough to FCPEuro to drive there and save on shipping.

Last edited by glyph; 01-14-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:49 AM
New Members

Here's the options list. Adaptive lights and PDC are about it, but that's all good. These are great cars when they're sorted.

https://imgur.com/LbRmt4T

Edit: I can't figure out how to get a thunbnail inline. Sorry for the super long image. Click the link if that isn't legible.

Quick Reply: Should I get this e60?