E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I buy this Wrecked e61?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d

Hello,

I just calculating, how profitable project this car would be i.e. how much I can pay for it. Currently the car is owned by insurance company who bought it after accident instead of paying repair. My idea is fix to my own use for several years. My alternative is German import car and both alternatives are undervalued on second hand market.

I have estimated that I have to replace all suspension parts to front left, hood, front left side panel and bumper. I addition suspension supports has to fixed. I can do all part replacement, but body work and paintings will be done by professionals. Because e61 has both steel and aluminum in front body, I'm wondering if it requires some special tools and skills to fix it? How about cost? I have made estimation about parts (www.realoem.com/bmw) and total sum is about >5000?, because I want replace almost all wrecked parts instead of fixing them.

All comments are welcome, because there are not many DIY repair projects to crashed e60/61 on this pages yet.

Please look at more details and pictures from:

More information

Old 06-20-2006, 04:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Is the frame crunched? That may be a real booger to fix.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

If the suspension attachements are out of alignment, then you have a real problem aon your hand. I would stay away if you need to make frame repairs etc, the fram is aliminum/steel and held together through a combination of special welding, glue, and rivets.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='300217' date='Jun 20 2006, 03:32 PM
Is the frame crunched? That may be a real booger to fix.

Ou yes!!!!

It's a aluminum helpframe that is glued and bolted to the cockpit.

Also the fenders and the hood are made of aluminum.

That can easily be VERY, VERY expensive to fix.

And if it is a 3/05 or newer all the engine and transmission bolts are
made of magnesium -> VERY expensive!
They cannot be screwd, thay crack.

I would consult a real expert first!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Unless you can get it real, and i mean real cheap (like < $10-15K) - avoid. its not worth your time, effort, money. And it will never be as good as not-wrecked car, even fixed right.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Car crashed that bad would not be worth buying and fixing up... unless you can get it for extremely cheap... keep in mind that, it will not perform or feel like a "not crashed" car (even if its fixed right)...
Old 06-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Members

Thanks for good comments! Good to get some ice on when fever is rising

Yes, suspension attachments are out of alignment. Left wheel is now only "hang-around" member. At least one of attachments (Tension strut) is totally broken.

Aluminium helpframe is little bit out of alignment, maybe 2-3 cm in behind the bumper. Therefore bumper is moved to right. With normal steelframe car it's quite easy bend it to original shape, but it seems that it's not possible with aluminium?

Price will be really cheap, if I buy this. I think that acceptable level is 25k? below normal price level. Still it's not cheap, because it has lot of tax left (we have really high taxes in new cars in Finland and that explains why we fix all damaged vehicles, if possible)

The good thing is that all airbags are ok.

But no magnesium bolts. Car is one of first e61's and also without EURO NCAP improvements :-(

Have to consult some who really knows, before placing an offer.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Members

That's it, end of story

Text from SEMA.org:

"BMW?s new 5- and 6-Series cars use a lightweight (100 pounds) aluminum structure from the firewall forward (frame rails included) that?s been adhesively bonded and riveted. That construction is critical to achieving the 50/50 weight distribution BMW strives for to enhance handling dynamics. BMW specifies, however, that if it is bent by more than one millimeter in a collision, it must be replaced rather than repaired. Considering the cost of doing so, many insurers simply write the car off as a total loss instead. Even if such repairs were to be attempted, the special training and BMW-certified tools required are much more expensive than most independent repair shops can realistically afford. "
Old 07-19-2006, 06:02 AM
Members

Just short update for those who are considering e60 bodywork repair project:

I could not forget this opportunity, but didn't buy it either.

I investigated car more carefully with BMW-Trained bodywork technician. He said that it's far away from impossible project and insurance company should have fixed it instead of write-off. I also got from insurance company their cost estimate for fixing this car: 19.300? (about 25k$).

Because color-combo and equipments were far away from my desires, I was decided leave it. Somebody offered 24.000? and car was sold this morning. That's 24-28k? under market value of similar, un-wrecked e61 her in Finland.