E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shortcut buttons on the LCI

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned that I can see or talked about mods for the new "shortcut" buttons on the I-drive. I would love to have a one button memory that goes to my fav. station instead of accept>ent>down>down>turn or one button to call my wife. Seems they finally found the solutoin to silence the critics of I-drive with the shortcuts. I wonder if it will do whatever you want for instance when I'm listening to an MP3 player in my 07 I like to change my screen from ent. to Nav and have my large screen on perpective and small on info or whatever it is. Seems like the best upgrade yet, they learned this a long time ago that even the best home theatre touch screen remotes needed programable and customizable hard buttons also.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by WebDefy' post='379978' date='Jan 18 2007, 09:15 AM
I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned that I can see or talked about mods for the new "shortcut" buttons on the I-drive. I would love to have a one button memory that goes to my fav. station instead of accept>ent>down>down>turn or one button to call my wife. Seems they finally found the solutoin to silence the critics of I-drive with the shortcuts. I wonder if it will do whatever you want for instance when I'm listening to an MP3 player in my 07 I like to change my screen from ent. to Nav and have my large screen on perpective and small on info or whatever it is. Seems like the best upgrade yet, they learned this a long time ago that even the best home theatre touch screen remotes needed programable and customizable hard buttons also.
I suppose you are not seeing much excitement because, in a way, it's 'old news'...
It was announced for the new X5 (E70) months ago and more recently on the 3 Series Convertible (E93)
Some of the die-hards on this forum have just commented that it corrupts the simplicity and elegance of the iDrive concept, some have agreed it could be useful but aren't sure for what yet.

I think it will turn out to be one of the best features, one that you don't fully appreciate until you have it and one that once you have it you could never live without it.

What are your plans for your 8 (future) shortcut buttons?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by WebDefy' post='379978' date='Jan 18 2007, 09:15 AM
even the best home theatre touch screen remotes needed programable and customizable hard buttons also.
For best read complex.

I'd like the programmable buttons too - because I don't have them! So BMW Marketing got it right with me...

In the meantime, I find Extended Voice Control fulfils all of these direct access functions very nicely.

ABC
Old 01-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Members

1. Call girlfriend
2. Call Home
3. go straight to Navi, with large in perspective small in current position (for use when using aux in)
4. Radio Sation Fav, with small screen in perspective (NO more accept>Ent>down>down>down>turn)
5. Navi Home in direction of travel, small in current pos.
6. CD changer disc 1, song 5
7. Navi, office
8. Sirius, fave channel, navi small perspective

Others?
Air on high (not overpowering max)
Old 01-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by WebDefy' post='380167' date='Jan 18 2007, 07:49 PM
1. Call girlfriend
2. Call Home
3. go straight to Navi, with large in perspective small in current position (for use when using aux in)
4. Radio Sation Fav, with small screen in perspective (NO more accept>Ent>down>down>down>turn)
5. Navi Home in direction of travel, small in current pos.
6. CD changer disc 1, song 5
7. Navi, office
8. Sirius, fave channel, navi small perspective

Others?
Air on high (not overpowering max)
Now if you were to move in with your girlfriend you could coalesce button 1 & 2 thus freeing up a button for some other purpose.
Think about it...
Old 01-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='380222' date='Jan 18 2007, 09:22 PM
Now if you were to move in with your girlfriend you could coalesce button 1 & 2 thus freeing up a button for some other purpose.
"Call New Girlfriend"

ABC
Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by WebDefy' post='379978' date='Jan 18 2007, 04:15 AM
Although I'll end up using the shortcut buttons, I don't think that any critics will be "silenced" by their presence. To be honest, I'd say a "back" button would come in handier...
Old 01-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='380274' date='Jan 18 2007, 10:52 PM
Although I'll end up using the shortcut buttons, I don't think that any critics will be "silenced" by their presence. To be honest, I'd say a "back" button would come in handier...
or perhaps a 'ctrl-alt-delete' button for when iDrive is being naughty...

Old 01-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='380277' date='Jan 18 2007, 05:57 PM
or perhaps a 'ctrl-alt-delete' button for when iDrive is being naughty...

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not -- the ctrl-alt-delete does exist on CCC cars.

Just hold down the volume knob while pressing both disc eject buttons...
Old 01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Grey (premium, sport, nav)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WebDefy' post='379978' date='Jan 18 2007, 04:15 AM

not to sound stupid, but where is this shortcut button you are refering to ? Are you refering to the Star and diamond buttons on the steering wheel?

Quick Reply: Shortcut buttons on the LCI