E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shopping for a new 545i

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with JDN. You really owe it to yourself to give it a try. Both from the front and the rear seats. As a former 300ZX ownerk, I know what you're talking about, however the 545i's wheelbase is much longer and the ride is less harsh than you may think.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:47 AM
Senior Members

2 Things

545 SMG should equal sport. BMW made a mistake allowing you to order it anyother way. Forget selling the car. As a former 300TT owner - sport rides much better. ARS is why I bought this car... As others said you can find someone to switch down to 17s if you really want..

I too noticed (and was extremely irritated) the whole Nasca/Anthacite conflict. No one could give me a reason. I decided to give BMW less money by skipping the Nasca/vented seats because of their stupidity. I also tried them out on a 745 and didn't think they cooled enough to make a big difference.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Members

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I really will have to reconsider the Sport package and Nasca/vent options. I've just been so conditioned by my Flintstones 350Z (rock wheels and suspension) that the luxury extreme seemed to be a nice change.

I'm also still hoping the M-sport package (19s,M-susp,body kit) becomes available in the U.S. soon. Considering, an M-sports package, an M-replica shift knob, a few scattered M badges, and scotch tape or Elmer's glue will likely fool a great majority of the population who doesn't know the difference between your 545i and an M5. Is this worth it?......maybe just for that first date, all the secrets come out later anyhow.

Ciao.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I would think about the sportpackage. If your going for a luxurious ride the SP maybe to much for you. Looking back I may not have taken the 18 inch wheels and lowered suspension for comfort sake.

Don't go the M-badge route. Normal people won't see the difference indeed but you don't want to be a poser do you?

545 is an excelent choise and you'll have loads of fun with it!

Ow and before I forget, get the xenons with ALS!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Be careful about the spec. If you're ordering a Euro spec car, you don't get the same as a US spec.

UK spec 545i don't come standard with Xenon. UK Sport model doesn't have active suspension or steering.

Not sure about Italy, but make sure you don't expect something to be included, and then not get it.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Sorry for possible ingnorance...
I read several times in the forum about active suspension. But for 5-series we can speak about sports suspension only or I am mistaken? Active suspension is only for 7-series?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Sport suspension is not Active Suspension (Dynamic Drive).

So we have:

1) Standard Suspension
2) Sport Suspension (option)
3) Sport Model - M Sport Suspension
4) Dynamic Drive (active suspension)
5) M5 Suspension (different to all of the above)

How many suspension setups do you need!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Members

I would definatly go for the Actrive front streering in combination with Dynamic Drive. I had a BMW Driving Training and it's amazing how balanced the car stays with the several manoveres we had to do.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

"Active Front Steering"

LOL
Old 10-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Oct 24 2004, 05:40 PM
[quote name='ITALYBMW' date='Oct 24 2004, 08:53 AM']
* NO Sports package - (As a current 350Z and former 300ZX owner, I can't put up
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? with another Sports suspension, even though ARS and
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? 18"s are included.

=================== My question to all of you is:?
Nevermind all the minor problems you've experienced so far, can you justify to yourself and others the value of the car you purchased based on what you paid, taking into account other cars in the market today (i.e. G35, RL, M?
[snapback]48718[/snapback]

Now about that BMW Sport Package. Before you cull it, try one. Remember, this is an executive sedan, but you will be able to handle it much better with the SP. This is my second Sport model. The E60 is even more comfortable than the E39 Sport. When my wife strapped herself in for our first long range trip in the E39, she said this doesn't seem like I am in a car at all. So, please try it if you stay in the BMW market before you decide. You may be cheating yourself out of a good experience if you don't. Someone in the local BMWCCA club will surely let your drive their ride.
[snapback]48732[/snapback]
[/quote]

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Oct 25 2004, 03:44 AM
Welcome to the board.?

You can always put 17's on your sport package model to soften the ride if you need to. It handles too well to just let it go. The ride really isn't very harsh like a Nissan. You have to test drive it. The 18" run flats are summer tires and only good for 30k miles max, depending on how you drive. I've heard they're not that good for heavy rain or snow.

Also think about Xenons and the headlight washers. The Xenon will really light up the night in Tucson. The headlight washers will come in handy for those times when the road bugs get you.

Actually, the sport package is one of the main reasons to justify the purchase. Other members still love their non-sport because it still handles like a BMW. The sport package takes it to another level.

What ever you decide, you'll love it.
[snapback]48872[/snapback]
I did not take SP and I really regret that! Big time. I have tried later e60 with that option and it really don't feel comfort vise any different, BUT it handles much better!

Xenons are must! They are head lights, not any candles!

Skaffa

Quick Reply: Shopping for a new 545i