E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shopping for a new 545i

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 05:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I've been perusing this forum and found some great info about the E60. I am planning a MY 05 545i purchase through the military/diplo program. I am an American DOD contractor (engineer), living in Sicily, Italy. I'm planning to return home to Arizona next June just in time to accept potential delivery in June. I have almost finalized my car choice as follows:

* MY 2005 545i Auto - (SMG would be nice, but would like to wait for more
refinements)

* Titanium Grey - (nice color for this type of car)

* Black Nasca leather w/vented seats - (live in Tucson, where it's just as hot as
Phoenix)

* Poplar trim - (prefer the anthracite, but not available with Nasca)

* Active steering - (heard good reviews)

* Comfort seats - (heard good reviews)

* NAV, HUD, Logic 7, Rear shade, folding rear, Ill door sills - (good extras)

* NO Sports package - (As a current 350Z and former 300ZX owner, I can't put up
with another Sports suspension, even though ARS and
18"s are included.

=================== My question to all of you is:
Nevermind all the minor problems you've experienced so far, can you justify to yourself and others the value of the car you purchased based on what you paid, taking into account other cars in the market today (i.e. G35, RL, M?
Old 10-24-2004, 06:40 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by ITALYBMW' date='Oct 24 2004, 08:53 AM

* NO Sports package - (As a current 350Z and former 300ZX owner, I can't put up
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? with another Sports suspension, even though ARS and
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 18"s are included.

=================== My question to all of you is:?
Nevermind all the minor problems you've experienced so far, can you justify to yourself and others the value of the car you purchased based on what you paid, taking into account other cars in the market today (i.e. G35, RL, M?
[snapback]48718[/snapback]
Welcome to the forum, ITALYBMW. The answer is yes if you value the pleasure of driving. If you just want a good ride, I'm sure you could find one with the other choices.

Now about that BMW Sport Package. Before you cull it, try one. Remember, this is an executive sedan, but you will be able to handle it much better with the SP. This is my second Sport model. The E60 is even more comfortable than the E39 Sport. When my wife strapped herself in for our first long range trip in the E39, she said this doesn't seem like I am in a car at all. So, please try it if you stay in the BMW market before you decide. You may be cheating yourself out of a good experience if you don't. Someone in the local BMWCCA club will surely let your drive their ride.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, italybmw ! i agree with jdn, test drive both w/and w/o sport. then make your final decision .
Old 10-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

Welcome to the board.

You can always put 17's on your sport package model to soften the ride if you need to. It handles too well to just let it go. The ride really isn't very harsh like a Nissan. You have to test drive it. The 18" run flats are summer tires and only good for 30k miles max, depending on how you drive. I've heard they're not that good for heavy rain or snow.

Also think about Xenons and the headlight washers. The Xenon will really light up the night in Tucson. The headlight washers will come in handy for those times when the road bugs get you.

Actually, the sport package is one of the main reasons to justify the purchase. Other members still love their non-sport because it still handles like a BMW. The sport package takes it to another level.

What ever you decide, you'll love it.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i

Welcome to the board! and i agree with the above that you should test drive both then make your decision.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Contributors

I also recommend the sport package. You should give the SMG a try as well. It may not be the version that comes with the M cars but it's a lot of fun to drive!
Old 10-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

I test drove an E500 and there is no comparison to the 545; it handles WAY better, more hp and usable torque and acceleration. I also drove an M45 good hp and straight line speed but it handled like an old Cadillac. I didn't try the G35 or RL. You can do a search on the forum about the RL as someone else asked about it. I think it comes down, as always, to the $$$. The car you want is just under $70k USD - I know I'm going to fork it over this week. If you have it and want to spend it on the best sports sedan in the world then buy the 545. If you want less than you'll save alot of $$$. I don't think Japanese cars have the vent seats. As everyone has said test drive a 5er with and without Sport. I think you'll prefer the sport. My .02 - q
Old 10-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

The most surprising part of this car to me when I first took deliver in Munich was its supension. It rode so well that I actually did not have the confidence to throw it into a sharp corner without slowing down. This is no sports car. Its a luxury sedan that handles like a sports car. Get the Sports package, because along with the Active suspension you get the Active steering, active xenon headlights and a bunch of other stuff.

Good move with the comfort seats and great color. I love mine. Cannot speak for SMG but I would definately try one before dismissing it.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 24 2004, 06:45 PM
The most surprising part of this car to me when I first took deliver in Munich was its supension.? It rode so well that I actually did not have the confidence to throw it into a sharp corner without slowing down.? This is no sports car.? Its a luxury sedan that handles like a sports car.? Get the Sports package,? because along with the Active suspension you get the Active steering,? active xenon headlights and a bunch of other stuff.

Good move with the comfort seats and great color.? I love mine.? Cannot speak for SMG but I would definately try one before dismissing it.
[snapback]48957[/snapback]
xenon is an stand alone option for 525 and 530 but standard on 545 .
Old 10-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, ITALYBMW Name:  00000732.gif
Views: 24
Size:  3.1 KB!

Quick Reply: Shopping for a new 545i