E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shaking Steering Wheel When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 05:10 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 520D E60 M Sport
Default Shaking Steering Wheel When Braking

Hey Everyone,

So about a month ago I noticed when braking that the steering wheel started to shake when I would lightly press the brakes, Pressing down hard and I wouldn't feel it, Well I would for the first split second until the brakes bit in. I immediately thought it was the rotars and put on some drilled and grooved ones. Steering shaking is still there, The original rotars did need to be replaced so i'm not too pissed off with myself.

I also noticed if I drive slow on a bumpy road the steering feels weird, Like if I turn left and back to center for a split second it feels out of sync, I'm trying to explain it the best I can.

Braking on a bake bumpy road doesn't make me feel very safe, it feels like I don't have full control of the steering. Can any of you experts understand and help me resolve this issue.

I jacked the car up and all rod bushings seem to be good but I have also read somewhere that they might look OK on the outside but the bushings could have internal issues.

Much appreciated
Old 06-12-2017, 12:11 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Trailing thrust bushes at the front near the radiator can be soft (fluid filled) and contribute to floaty handling and odd braking behavior. Maybe have a shop look for loose bits in the front suspension.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:01 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 520D E60 M Sport

Thanks for your help.. Its one thing I will look into
Old 06-16-2017, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by audiophool
Trailing thrust bushes at the front near the radiator can be soft (fluid filled) and contribute to floaty handling and odd braking behavior. Maybe have a shop look for loose bits in the front suspension.
Agreed.

Those bushings can be purchased separately and replaced one time in the arm. After that the whole arm needs to be replaced according to BMW.