E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know what the sensor is located behind the rear view mirrow? Not the ones on the window, there is one right behind the rear view mirror on the right side.
Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm wondering if it's the sensor that dims the speedo and idrive window at night?

i'm very impressed on the dims light sensor and wiper sensor...the e500 that i had didn't work half as good.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Tsandas' date='Jul 21 2004, 07:58 PM
Anyone know what the sensor is located behind the rear view mirrow? Not the ones on the window, there is one right behind the rear view mirror on the right side.
Check this thread !

Picture below, as posted on the other thread shows:
1) Is for the automatic dimming of the rear view mirror. It measures on this sensor and on the one you can see when looking at it from the other side (the correct side ).
2) I'm pretty sure it's the sensor for the automatic lights.
3) I think this is the rainsensor, since it's bigger/wider than 2, and it's harder to detect rain, than to detect the sunlight.
4) It looks like a vent for the heat of the electrical components.
Attached Thumbnails Sensor-mirror.jpg  
Old 07-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

still not sure about #1 -- doesn't make sense that it would be on that side for the anti-dazzle.

my anti-dazzle (rear & sides) seem to kick in when required based on the lights behind me - and they 'un-anti-dazzle' when the light source behind me goes away
Old 07-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skidster' date='Jul 21 2004, 09:17 PM
still not sure about #1 -- doesn't make sense that it would be on that side for the anti-dazzle.

my anti-dazzle (rear & sides) seem to kick in when required based on the lights behind me - and they 'un-anti-dazzle' when the light source behind me goes away
It's on BOTH sides.
There is one on the other side too, the little dot in the upper middle...
Old 07-21-2004, 11:40 AM
JDN
Contributors

Refresh me again on the function of the little black stud sensor on top of the center dash speaker. Also, on #3, when inspected with a light, shows eight little red reflectors -- four above the blue sensor and four below. Any ideas on their function?
Old 07-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jul 21 2004, 01:24 PM
[quote name='skidster' date='Jul 21 2004, 09:17 PM'] still not sure about #1 -- doesn't make sense that it would be on that side for the anti-dazzle.

It's on BOTH sides.
There is one on the other side too, the little dot in the upper middle... [/quote]
i understand that that is what people have said.

what i do not understand is why.

by definition, the anti-dazzle mirror function is designed to dim/un-dim (adjust reflectivity) based on the light shined into the surface of the mirror.

what function is performed by a sensor located on the opposite side of the variable-reflective surface?

enquiring minds want to know...
Old 07-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skidster' date='Jul 21 2004, 10:02 PM
i understand that that is what people have said.

by definition, the anti-dazzle mirror function is designed to dim/un-dim (adjust reflectivity) based on the light shined into the surface of the mirror.

what function is performed by a sensor located on the opposite side of the variable-reflective surface?

Well, how does the sensor know that the light coming from behind, shining in it's surface, is too bright ?
It knows because it has another sensor on the other side what measures the intensity of the light on the other side, the front of the car.
So, when there is too much light from behind, it dims.
It needs two sensors two notice/measure the difference.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jul 21 2004, 09:40 PM
Refresh me again on the function of the little black stud sensor on top of the center dash speaker. Also, on #3, when inspected with a light, shows eight little red reflectors -- four above the blue sensor and four below. Any ideas on their function?
The black stud sensor measures the intensity of the sun, so that the A/C functions correct and keeps the correct temperature.

Here is a quote from the other thread:
the black piece sticking up on the dash is sensor for direct sunlight. If there is direct sunlight, the computer will adjust the AC to keep up w/ the greater heating of the sunlight.
Somebody else posted right after that, that this is correct.

The number three, I believe, is the rain sensor. It measures the intensity of the rain.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jul 21 2004, 02:06 PM
[quote name='skidster' date='Jul 21 2004, 10:02 PM'] i understand that that is what people have said.

Well, how does the sensor know that the light coming from behind, shining in it's surface, is too bright ?
It knows because it has another sensor on the other side what measures the intensity of the light on the other side, the front of the car.
So, when there is too much light from behind, it dims.
It needs two sensors two notice/measure the difference. [/quote]
i would store iterations of old current state
and
compare it to current state

makes more sense to me...

just because i am driving in an area with streetlights (illuminating the front sensor) i do not want any less anti-dazzle action when a prat with high beams and fogs comes in behind me...

so, and pardon me if i am thick (but that is not a usual situation) but please tell me again just why a comparison with the light in 'front' of the car is in any related to the dim/un-dimming of the side and rearview mirrors as a consequence of light being shined into them, at street level, into their sensors (the ones on the shiny mirror-like glass reflective surface of the mirror :-) ?

Quick Reply: Sensor