E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sending Google Map location to BMW Nav

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='567060' date='Apr 24 2008, 08:38 AM
I know that but its interesting that they can get the old technology to work in Europe but in the US they want you to upgrade. Wonder why.
BMW has deployed various aspects of ConnectedDrive in Europe as the infrastructure becomes availability. The cars have had compatible infrastructure for several years.

In the U.S., the cars are of course lacking the GSM TCUs so naturally that obstacle had to be dealt with.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

So have you guys never had BMW Assist that works off a GSM SIM in the TCU then?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='567199' date='Apr 24 2008, 12:54 PM
So have you guys never had BMW Assist that works off a GSM SIM in the TCU then?
Korrekt.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='567309' date='Apr 24 2008, 07:57 PM
Korrekt.
Mine just works off my bluetooth phone (blackberry pearl) - no additional SIM needed. Maybe in the US they use a different TCU that needs a SIM - and probably another contract!

The Connected Drive stuff all works great though - send maps to car, Google local search, RRS newsfeeds etc...

The only thing that annoys me is that you can only use BMW online when you are stationary - anyone know if there's a hack for that? It's no more distracting than scrolling through iPod tracks or phonebook entries (not that that's a good thing).

What did really surprise me though was the first time I realised that the RSS newsfeeds could also send pictures as well - I got a grinning picture of the French President that seemed to pop up out of nowhere....

Google local search maps are pretty good as well - I thought it would just use the DVD nav maps, but it seems to receive updated map graphics as well as information about whatever you are searching for. It's OK - but would be better if you didn't have to stop to use it.

On the other hand, the BMW assist service seems ot be not so good. I'v only used it two times and each time the guy on the other end of the phone hsn't been able to see where my car is or offer any more helpful advise than I can get via Googal Local or the Nav itself. Still, at least it's free and impresses the passengers a bit.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Members

My Ride: UK BMW 530d, registered 19Sep2003. Bluetooth, Business SatNav, Rear & side blinds, Business Radio, LOGIC7.

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='565772' date='Apr 22 2008, 11:41 AM
I recently sent a Google Map location to a business associate's phone and "discovered" the location could be sent to a BMW Navigation system through BMW Assist!

I was hyper excited about an easy way to send a specific POI. But my elation became disappointment because my '07 e60 was born 2 months too early. This feature will work only for '07 models manufactured after September '06!
My car was delivered earlier this month and I had no idea it could do this. It is very cool, especially if you find a business as a POI as you can navigate to it and/or telephone them.

BMW are so bad at getting across to interested parties info like this.

Note that the location algorithm when using google from a PC is much more accurate than when using Google from within the car. Found a pub I wanted, only to be directed to the middle on nowhere. The pub was probably in the sama postcode area.

Simon
Old 04-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Members

My Ride: UK BMW 530d, registered 19Sep2003. Bluetooth, Business SatNav, Rear & side blinds, Business Radio, LOGIC7.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='567088' date='Apr 24 2008, 01:29 PM
In the UK this is huge, because of the lack of Postcodes on our navigation systems this will now be the way to go. Plus the Google POIs are so much better than the outdated stuff BMW put on the DVD.
Really? I have had postcodes on my last E60 which I had from launch. Enter the postcode instead of city.

Simon
Old 04-25-2008, 02:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='567386' date='Apr 24 2008, 10:19 PM
It's OK - but would be better if you didn't have to stop to use it.

On the other hand, the BMW assist service seems ot be not so good. I'v only used it two times and each time the guy on the other end of the phone hsn't been able to see where my car is or offer any more helpful advise than I can get via Googal Local or the Nav itself. Still, at least it's free and impresses the passengers a bit.
Automating on the move might work and be possible - the complete input could be made via voice input, upload request to Assist, response is downloaded, no stopping! It could and 'will' foul up if the request is not understood which is where the human Assist works better - I've had no problems at all with this service to-date and that action can be carreid out on the move!

With the amount of data that is/will be accessed remote access is the way to go is it not? Be it human or remote automated access - large data scale is supported, speed of updating/ and integrity of the data would be far supperior than local (on car) storage. There is already a revenue stream from this service to the provider (here its BMW) and linking up databases for access to larger amounts of e.g. POI data would be available therefore serviceable to the end user. BMW's plans are heading that way.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by smoppett' post='567811' date='Apr 25 2008, 09:38 AM
Really? I have had postcodes on my last E60 which I had from launch. Enter the postcode instead of city.

Simon
Why dont you show us how you enter a FULL 7 char UK postcode in the City field.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='568191' date='Apr 25 2008, 09:32 PM
Why dont you show us how you enter a FULL 7 char UK postcode in the City field.
Your message mentioned "the lack of Postcodes". I have always been able to enter postcodes into the satnav in the E60, but is your complaint now the lack of 7 digit postcodes?

Simon
Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Members

Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first post - got my E60 just yesterday
Does anyone know if this service will be introduced in other countries as well in Europe or only in the ones mentioned (UK, DE, I)? I'd love to register and use the service in Belgium, but on the Belgian webpage there's no chance to register it... I wonder if it would work if I'd register my car on the UK website...
I don't have neither UK address nor a UK Plate though...
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Jago

Quick Reply: Sending Google Map location to BMW Nav