E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sending Google Map location to BMW Nav

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='566194' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:11 PM
luigi, where did you get your information about what cars it works on? Clearly, there is a discrepancy between what you're saying and what Jonathan is saying...
Yes, there is a discrepancy. I called BMW Assist yesterday and was told the "Google" feature was incorporated beginning with the 09/2006 production date of the e60 model. I tried it anyway and got an auto-reply sent to the email account registered with BMW Assist. Essentially it said "No way Jose!"

Here is the BMW Assist Info: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Own...FzsGja3pX4F3w==

Jonathan is better equipped to provide a "correct" answer. In any case my e60 was born too early
Attached Thumbnails Sending Google Map location to BMW Nav-bmw_info.jpg  
Old 04-23-2008, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='566283' date='Apr 23 2008, 01:12 AM
Yes, there is a discrepancy. I called BMW Assist yesterday and was told the "Google" feature was incorporated beginning with the 09/2006 production date of the e60 model. I tried it anyway and got an auto-reply sent to the email account registered with BMW Assist. Essentially it said "No way Jose!"

Here is the BMW Assist Info: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Own...FzsGja3pX4F3w==

Jonathan is better equipped to provide a "correct" answer. In any case my e60 was born too early
For the U.S. market, everyone?s E60 was born too early - we?re all in the same boat. Still, a great feature and the shape of things to come.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks for clearing up the confusion Luigi. I figured Jonathan's information was accurate but in the past, there's been so many instances where BMW says one thing and another thing is true that I wanted to figure out who was telling you the cutoff dates...
Old 04-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='566393' date='Apr 23 2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for clearing up the confusion Luigi. I figured Jonathan's information was accurate but in the past, there's been so many instances where BMW says one thing and another thing is true that I wanted to figure out who was telling you the cutoff dates...

No problemo Rudy ... born too early / born too late ... but BORN !
Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='565841' date='Apr 22 2008, 04:30 PM
You missed my article on it - and cars with that capability are first being born now (x6).

http://stage.bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1114
Time to change your Article.

I bought my car is Jan 2006 and this year it will have completed 3 years. Like many others I ticked the box with the Bluetooth TCU with BMW Assist at the time because it was Free was 6 months. After that I never bothered to renew the service because at the time it was quite limited. Then I heard about BMW Connected Drive and how it was free for BMW Customers for 3 years. I thought that it was for new customers only for 3 years but when I saw a Registration page on the BMW.co.uk website I said what the heck, lets register. I've now registered on that website 5 times and even downloaded a form to fax to them but for the last 3-4 months nothing happened.

Then suddenly today I receive a Text with my BMW Assist User Id and Password !!

Logged on to the Connected Drive site and it worked, it even had my Car registration etc correct. Then I went to the car and check the BMW Assist menu and it was inactive with the same message I've had for 3 years. But then all of a sudden the Initialise Services became active and I pressed it. A minute later I have My Info and other Services on my Assist Screen.

Tried the Send Destination from the connected Drive and the the Google Maps website and give a nice "Map successfully sent to car". I've tried the SMS feature too and that works too - but why would I log on to the BMW ConnectedDrive website to send out an SMS.

I havent found the nice Google Search Screen on the car yet but that is probably expecting too much.

Sending Google Map location to BMW Nav-google.jpg

OK I'm off to meet with the Queen now.

P.S. : When you log into Connected Drive there is an option if you want Google to be able to send maps to you or not. Maybe that is what is not set and hence you cant get the data sent across to you.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='567050' date='Apr 24 2008, 07:48 AM
Time to change your Article.
Bruce, Jonathan's article refers to USA cars...

Tell the Queen I said "Hey!"
Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

I know that but its interesting that they can get the old technology to work in Europe but in the US they want you to upgrade. Wonder why.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='567060' date='Apr 24 2008, 08:38 AM
I know that but its interesting that they can get the old technology to work in Europe but in the US they want you to upgrade. Wonder why.
I think, but am not sure, that it has something to do with BMW Assist and the TCU. I suppose it's still possible that they'll figure out a way to retrofit things here but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. As a matter of fact, I can't see myself using this feature very much anyway so for me, it's not a big loss...
Old 04-24-2008, 05:07 AM
Contributors

Indeed, not a big loss but definitely up there on the cool factor...
Old 04-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Contributors

In the UK this is huge, because of the lack of Postcodes on our navigation systems this will now be the way to go. Plus the Google POIs are so much better than the outdated stuff BMW put on the DVD.

Quick Reply: Sending Google Map location to BMW Nav