E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Self Opening Trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='May 19 2005, 06:53 AM
[quote name='gabman' date='May 19 2005, 11:00 AM']It is for sure a software issue, friends of mine had a brand new fur coat in their truck, went into a shopping center for two hours and came back to find their trunk opened as you described. The most amazing part of the story was the coat was still there. Software upgrade fixed the problem.
[snapback]130528[/snapback]
I am intrigued as-to how this could be a SW issue - The boot/trunk release operates when the car is locked. Are you saying that there is a computer still active just for the boot release ? That would surprise me when something like this could be easily handled with some very simple electronics.
[snapback]130571[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think accidental pressing of the remote is at fault. If it was, then the alarm should go off sometimes too, since pressing the trunk button over 2 seconds will activate the alarm.

If the problem is not related to software, nor mechanical, then it must be supernatural
Old 05-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='May 19 2005, 05:53 AM
[quote name='gabman' date='May 19 2005, 11:00 AM']It is for sure a software issue, friends of mine had a brand new fur coat in their truck, went into a shopping center for two hours and came back to find their trunk opened as you described. The most amazing part of the story was the coat was still there. Software upgrade fixed the problem.
[snapback]130528[/snapback]
I am intrigued as-to how this could be a SW issue - The boot/trunk release operates when the car is locked. Are you saying that there is a computer still active just for the boot release ? That would surprise me when something like this could be easily handled with some very simple electronics.
[snapback]130571[/snapback]
[/quote]

marty530d,

When the car is locked, the on-board computer is busy scanning the various sensor/switch inputs for a security breach and, importantly, is ready to respond to remote inputs (unlock, TRUNK RELEASE, etc.). A computer/software problem could, in fact, be responsible for the unintended trunk opening.

Martin
Old 05-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by mhoutman' date='May 19 2005, 04:46 AM
especially when wearing tighter trousers or jeans.
[snapback]130527[/snapback]

Do I hear 70's party???????
Old 05-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525iA, silvergray, steptronic, Active steering, PDC, sport seats, beige dakotaleather, poppel trim, M-sport steering wheel, star spoke 123, xenon lights, large clima, cruise control.

If you have that problem you will also have problem with an open car thou they are both remote controled.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 18 2005, 08:30 PM
[quote name='Ruf930' date='May 18 2005, 10:52 PM']Basically, I have never thought to lock the trunk...? I have 16.2 and it didn't resolve it, but I bet locking it will.? Thanks guys.? I feel stupid for not thinking of that, but even a genius asks questions!
[snapback]130414[/snapback]
Please report back whether or not the locking worked -- I'm too tired to go check myself but something tells me the locking won't override the remote release...

edit: Okay, I got a second wind and went to the garage to test it. I was correct that locking the trunk with the key will not stop the remote from opening the trunk. Locking it only overrides the interior trunk switch and the exterior switch in the recess above the license plate.

Ruf930, do you keep your keys in your pocket? It would be an interesting test to see what happens if you purposely don't put the keys in your pocket. If the trunk still opens mysteriously, there may be something wrong with the car or there may be some strange radio interference nearby that is causing the unexpected operation of the remote release.
[snapback]130428[/snapback]
[/quote]

Rudy is always right! My previous experience with the locked trunk must have been a freak thing. I verified that a locked trunk can still be opened by the remote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Contributors

I took it back to the dealer today (X3 loaner, nice!). They are going to reinstall 16.2 and take a good look at it. Lets hope this works.

Sinisters, if you're serious, come on up! If your single, I board with 3 BEAUTIFUL Thai and Italian co-workers! They all do tri-athlons and are West Point grads (smart!). I'm married, and my wife only ski's, so I board with them all the time.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:07 AM
Contributors

I wouldnt think twice. I would not think twice. I would take it to the dealer.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i sport, Titanium Silver
Talking

I have the same thing happen occasionally one mine as well (Feb 04 build date 530). I've had the software upgraded to L&G (latest & greatest) several times in the past year so I'm guessing in my case it is the fact that the button is getting pressed accidentally when I'm wearing jeans.

However, given my strange flat tire behavior recently (5 flats in 30 days - same tire and even had them replace the rim on flat #3) it could be a gremlin...

- Bryan
Old 11-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

My trunk has opened by itself twice now in the last month. Once while at work - the security guards called me at my desk and said my trunk was open - the trunk was loaded with our luggage, as we were going out of town. This morning I woke up to an open trunk and it was raining last night. Just my luck that it opens when out on the driveway. Not too happy. No, I didn't accidentally press the trunk release button either time.

What software version reputedly fixes this?

This car is so ridiculous....
Old 11-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Members

I have the same problem (sept 2004). The trunk opens few times this year on different locations but after the first service (30000km). When I call the service they told me that I push the button on the key. So I leave keys on the desk and wait. The trunk was opened after few hours.

I could't belive.... but after a while I noticed that trunk was opened only if the car was on the direct sun for more than an hour!!!

I went to service again and they upgrade software. They wouldn't told me what release of software they gave me neither wich software was before. They just said... the last one that BMW release.

Now I do not have oportunity for having my car on the sun (bad weather - fog, cloudy,..)

AND blouetooth (GSM doesn't work any more) speach is in german, consumption of the car is 1 to 1,5 liters more. Same driving 100km less done. No more daylights, radio is working slowly (sometimes there is no stations - no signal).
The window stops at half on closing all windows.... and more and more the consumption on oil was increased.... In 40ooo km not a single drop of oil in machine...now 2,5l in 5000 km. They said it is normal.

I'm so disapointed!!!

Next time in a week I will visit a different dealer and see

Quick Reply: Self Opening Trunk!