E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Self Opening Trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='May 19 2005, 12:12 AM
My wife and I both tried that.? One weekend we both sat our keys on the top of the fridge.? Opened twice.? Called BMW NA, they told me it was software.? Upgraded 15.2 to 16.2.? Has opened about four times.? We are very careful with the keys, but this is really ticking me.? Thanks for trying on your trunk, sorry to hear that it didn't work.
[snapback]130444[/snapback]
Is the car always near the same location when it happens or does it happen at random times in random locations?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different locations. Home, work, shopping centers, once in the mountains. Do I need some rope and tie my trunk off? I'll have a gypsy E60.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='May 19 2005, 12:46 AM
Different locations.? Home, work, shopping centers, once in the mountains.? Do I need some rope and tie my trunk off?? I'll have a gypsy E60.
[snapback]130453[/snapback]
I suppose we can rule out the longshot idea of some external radio interference being the culprit...
Old 05-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Contributors

This happens to me too. I never even considered it was a software issue. I have always thought it was the keys in my pocket so I never leave them in my pocket any more at home and carry them in my hand till I am well out of radio range when parking away from home. I have also returned to my car on 2 occasions to find all the windows rolled down and the sunroof open. And this from a guy that can only get the trunk to open on purpose about 1 out of 5 tries without setting the alarm off

About the side story - I lived in Denver for 8 years - Copper Mountain (Hooky Pass holder) was always my favorite with Mary Jane coming in a close second! I miss the powder days
Old 05-19-2005, 12:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='May 18 2005, 07:47 PM
I am so f***ing tired of coming out from work or home, etc, and my trunk is open!? This is pissing me off!!! Is there anyway to have the auto trunk option turned off so they trunk will lock with the key?? On the key, etc...? I need help!? I am scare to put anything in my trunk.? One day my freakin' snowboard was in there and it opened.? Has anyone had this issue, if so, what was your resolution.? Thanks.? Ruf.
[snapback]130384[/snapback]

Well after reading all the answers and inputs, I can think of one more possibility:

What about mechanical failure? I mean the whole mechanical thing that holds the trunk down? You know, some screw not tight enough, some spring to strong/weak.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='May 18 2005, 09:52 PM
Sinister: a Burton Floater 150cm.? I'm in Colorado Springs, so Vail and Keystone are 90 mins away!? Haven't been to Aspen yet.? Seasons closed, so next year I'll hit there.? What do you need a snowboard for in Tennessee? You ski boarding, dude!?!
[snapback]130414[/snapback]
I go to Snowshoe WV almost every weekend when the season opens and normally out west (Tahoe, Brekenridge, Copper, Mammoth) About 6 times during the season I live in a bad place for snowboarding, but ive been doing it for 12 years now and its something I have always loved. I got a Ride Havoc & Burton Dominant. Maybe next season Ill come out to colorado sometime and we can meet up & board
Old 05-19-2005, 02:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

Before my E61 I owned a X5 and indeed the trunk was open occasionally

It appeared that when I had the keys in my pocket, the Bimmer key was once and a while "touched" by some of the others keys on my key ring, especially when wearing tighter trousers or jeans.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

It is for sure a software issue, friends of mine had a brand new fur coat in their truck, went into a shopping center for two hours and came back to find their trunk opened as you described. The most amazing part of the story was the coat was still there. Software upgrade fixed the problem.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='May 18 2005, 11:56 PM
This happens to me too.? I never even considered it was a software issue.? I have always thought it was the keys in my pocket so I never leave them in my pocket any more at home and carry them in my hand till I am well out of radio range when parking away from home.? I have also returned to my car on 2 occasions to find all the windows rolled down and the sunroof open.? And this from a guy that can only get the trunk to open on purpose about 1 out of 5 tries without setting the alarm off?

About the side story - I lived in Denver for 8 years - Copper Mountain (Hooky Pass holder) was always my favorite with Mary Jane coming in a close second!? I miss the powder days?
[snapback]130475[/snapback]
ULtraPLanet, good call on Copper Mountain! My family used to have a house in Dillon, near Keystone, but I would always avoid Keystone or Breckenridge for Copper or Arapahoe Basin.

Ruf930, sorry to hear the key lock wouldn't do the trick. Thought that might help, but guess not.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by gabman' date='May 19 2005, 11:00 AM
It is for sure a software issue, friends of mine had a brand new fur coat in their truck, went into a shopping center for two hours and came back to find their trunk opened as you described. The most amazing part of the story was the coat was still there. Software upgrade fixed the problem.
[snapback]130528[/snapback]
I am intrigued as-to how this could be a SW issue - The boot/trunk release operates when the car is locked. Are you saying that there is a computer still active just for the boot release ? That would surprise me when something like this could be easily handled with some very simple electronics.

Quick Reply: Self Opening Trunk!