E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Self Opening Trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so f***ing tired of coming out from work or home, etc, and my trunk is open! This is pissing me off!!! Is there anyway to have the auto trunk option turned off so they trunk will lock with the key? On the key, etc... I need help! I am scare to put anything in my trunk. One day my freakin' snowboard was in there and it opened. Has anyone had this issue, if so, what was your resolution. Thanks. Ruf.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='May 18 2005, 06:47 PM
I am so f***ing tired of coming out from work or home, etc, and my trunk is open!? This is pissing me off!!! Is there anyway to have the auto trunk option turned off so they trunk will lock with the key?? On the key, etc...? I need help!? I am scare to put anything in my trunk.? One day my freakin' snowboard was in there and it opened.? Has anyone had this issue, if so, what was your resolution.? Thanks.? Ruf.
[snapback]130384[/snapback]
Ouch, never had that happen. Stupid question, but have you manully locked the trunk with the key by inserting and turning to the right? I would think/hope this would keep any electronic opening from happening, whether from the key or the button inside. When I drop my car off w/ at a parking lot with my golf clubs in the trunk, I manually lock with the key and leave the valet key. No way (supposedly, I don't have fold down rear seats) for anyone to get in the trunk. If this doesn't do the trick, don't know what to say. Sounds very difficult to recreate for the dealer to get fixed. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='May 18 2005, 07:47 PM
I am so f***ing tired of coming out from work or home, etc, and my trunk is open!? This is pissing me off!!! Is there anyway to have the auto trunk option turned off so they trunk will lock with the key?? On the key, etc...? I need help!? I am scare to put anything in my trunk.? One day my freakin' snowboard was in there and it opened.? Has anyone had this issue, if so, what was your resolution.? Thanks.? Ruf.
Thats weird I never happend to me I hope it doesnt either I snowboard also and would be pissed if that happened to me and they got stolen.

Not to stray away from the topic but What kind of board do you have?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='May 18 2005, 07:47 PM

It used to happen to me, and was fixed via a software upgrade. That should do the trick.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Mine works perfectly except once it would not respond to the key or the button in the car. My problem=your solution. I found that the one of my kids had inserted the key in the trunk and turned horizontal, hence lockiing it. Try that.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Contributors

I don't understand how this can happen without you accidentally holding down the button on the remote. Has your alarm ever gone off too? I only ask because that's what would happen if you were to hold that button a little longer.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

It sounds like a software issue.... but locking the trunklid with the key SHOULD cure the problem, in theory.... since doing so supposedly disables the automatic trunk pop button.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributors

Actually, I haven't used the 2% rule. That is, you must be 2% smarter than the equipment your working with (it's an Army thing). Basically, I have never thought to lock the trunk... I have 16.2 and it didn't resolve it, but I bet locking it will. Thanks guys. I feel stupid for not thinking of that, but even a genius asks questions!

Sinister: a Burton Floater 150cm. I'm in Colorado Springs, so Vail and Keystone are 90 mins away! Haven't been to Aspen yet. Seasons closed, so next year I'll hit there. What do you need a snowboard for in Tennessee? You ski boarding, dude!?!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='May 18 2005, 10:52 PM
Basically, I have never thought to lock the trunk...? I have 16.2 and it didn't resolve it, but I bet locking it will.? Thanks guys.? I feel stupid for not thinking of that, but even a genius asks questions!
[snapback]130414[/snapback]
Please report back whether or not the locking worked -- I'm too tired to go check myself but something tells me the locking won't override the remote release...

edit: Okay, I got a second wind and went to the garage to test it. I was correct that locking the trunk with the key will not stop the remote from opening the trunk. Locking it only overrides the interior trunk switch and the exterior switch in the recess above the license plate.

Ruf930, do you keep your keys in your pocket? It would be an interesting test to see what happens if you purposely don't put the keys in your pocket. If the trunk still opens mysteriously, there may be something wrong with the car or there may be some strange radio interference nearby that is causing the unexpected operation of the remote release.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My wife and I both tried that. One weekend we both sat our keys on the top of the fridge. Opened twice. Called BMW NA, they told me it was software. Upgraded 15.2 to 16.2. Has opened about four times. We are very careful with the keys, but this is really ticking me. Thanks for trying on your trunk, sorry to hear that it didn't work.

<---- I have the look of Mr. Chagall (avatar) everytime I see that trunk open. I think this is the look of all frustrated E60 owners.

Quick Reply: Self Opening Trunk!