E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Self Leveling!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Every E61 that came states side had the self leveling Air shocks int he rear...

If your car has the sport package and has ARS, the coil over /shocks springs won't matter, it's the Sway bar that you will have difficulty changing out... Dinan used to have some "upgrades" for the ARS ( man I wish my wagon had it..... ) but I don't think they stock them any more.

Coil over/ shocks springs you will have minor difficulty's with.... nothing to worry about...

BTW with H&R are you looking at the Euro page in English by chance or the US distributers? There would be your difference.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by sel1oner
Just a side note:

I don't think that buzzing sound is the leveling system. I looked into it once... read a few threads about it... and it seems there are many opinions on what that sound is. The best answer seems to be that it's the fuel pump priming for start-up. Not sure if that has been verified or not but it sure is a funny sound. People ask me about it all the time when I unlock my car.

/jack

I thought it was the central lock\un-lock safety feature. I heard the E60s have a feature that if you get in an accident and the airbags deploy, all the doors would unlock to avoid trapping you in and that it's merely some solenoid actuating to either enable or disable the feature.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Oh, if you think about it, why do you hear it when openning and closing doors (and hood)? Why not just when you insert the key in the ignition?

Balbs
Old 05-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

right as you "wake" the car up it does the adjustment regardless if you put the key in the ignition. that's how it was on my other cars.

Originally Posted by balbs
Oh, if you think about it, why do you hear it when openning and closing doors (and hood)? Why not just when you insert the key in the ignition?
Balbs
Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Just a side note:

I don't think that buzzing sound is the leveling system. I looked into it once... read a few threads about it... and it seems there are many opinions on what that sound is. The best answer seems to be that it's the fuel pump priming for start-up. Not sure if that has been verified or not but it sure is a funny sound. People ask me about it all the time when I unlock my car.

/jack
Hrmmm.... My car "buzzes" even after shut down when I'm parked on a steep incline with the front of the car facing up hill - doesn't buzz when I'm parked on level surface or if the nose of the car is facing down hill. Thus I thought it may have a self leveling feature. I've also noticed that no matter how many people I'm driving around or luggage in the trunk that my car is always level.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i, 6 Speed Manual, Premium/Sport Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Light Control

Just a side note:

/jack
I have noticed on several occasions after parking the car, I hear sound like air releasing from some place at the rear of the car. I could swear that the car had a canted look after I parked it, after a walk to the mailbox and back to get my things from the vehicle, it happens and then the car would look straight from the back looking into the garage. I remember it happening after a spirited drive and lots of on/off ramps. I figured it was the anti-roll thing readjusting. Happened more frequently on the '04 525 which also had the active steering (forgot the name), only noticed it once or twice on the new car.