E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

See you in a couple of years!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Purely in the interest of balance, I'm gonna add my own experience here.

I bought a CPO 530dA Executive (I guess that's the same as SE) in March this year. Car was originally registered Nov 2005, and spec is as in my sig below.

I have had only 2 complaints with it to date (other than the fact that I still miss the styling of the E39 I owned previously). The first was window trim on the drivers' door that kept coming off - replaced by BMW Den Haag under warranty. The second was an incessant rattle from the rear door / parcel shelf area - sorted by BMW Den Haag under warranty (admittedly, after the car going in twice).

The car does have a habit of tramlining on the RFTs, but it's something I'm getting used to, and I notice that, if I keep checking and maintainng tyre pressure every week or so, the tramlining is less noticeable. Everything else has been perfect with it from the get-go (touch wood). No cupholders, but I have also been reading bad things about the OEM cupholders on the E60, so I'm not really complaining.

I believe the trick with buying these cars used/CPO is to do quite a lot of homework. These are complex performance machines, and need to be chosen with care, or you end up with a headache rather than an enjoyable ownership and driving experience. I am on my second 5er (see my sig), and I have bought both CPO from large BMW dealers. Both were decided upon after visiting multiple dealers, looking at and driving multiple cars and, most importantly, getting the dealers to print out delivery option and service history records from their systems. I have also taken BigL's outlook to things - never gone for the early models. With the E39, I even went to the extent of taking the car on a half-day test drive, during which I took it to another BMW dealer who is a friend of a friend for to have them look it over. Result: one very happy owner, now on my second used 5er, and going strong.

MacSid
Old 06-28-2007, 03:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had both on the earlier 5:er (E39) and present E60 bought first when the model is new and then LCI. I must say that is funny with an new model but if you really want a good car you should wait until LCI/Facelift when they fixed all matters. I?ve experienced big difference between preLCI and LCI in quality.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ronald_adi' post='440051' date='Jun 26 2007, 02:29 PM
Greg,

Sorry to hear about your issues. i have a fully loaded 535d with no cup holders (so i guess it aint so fully loaded! . really ridiculous. And the reason it has no cupholders is that when it was bought new, one doesnt even think that he\she has to ask specially for cupholders. So if the dealer forgets to suggest it.... walla no cup holders!

The noise from the doors is terrible. i have it too.

Other than that,...its great.
Stop press.. BMW sales horror 'we will charge extra for cupholders sir ! '

Sounds about right, standard BMWs are now way under specced, what other makers supply as standard, BM want a wedge of cash for. Makes the list prices pretty pointless now!. Also its a bit of a con trick as residual values are based on list price, not the price you actually need to pay for a half decent spec!.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Uk525i' post='440808' date='Jun 28 2007, 02:25 PM
Stop press.. BMW sales horror 'we will charge extra for cupholders sir ! '
?

Cupholders included on mine.

Must've been a historical MY issue.

ABC