E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

See you in a couple of years!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 530d
Wink

After very long consideration -like 2 months or so- I decided it was time to part from my 530d. It was a short "relationship" of about 7 months.
I bought the car used, a 09/2003 model, one of the first ones. The engine was incredibly good, all that torque and power + combined with 30-40 mpg.
But I had issues.
-Transmission had to be replaced -courtesy of BMW , beyond warranty- but I started experiencing the same problems with the new one too. (Very rough shifts)
-Noises. Creaking around the door frames, usual tricks described in this forum -cleaning the seals- only helped for a matter of days. I hated to drive it in the city, all those bumps and curbs, especially with passengers the sound was embarassing. Not a luxury car impression, to say the least.
-Power steering. When buying, I didn't even know there is power steering and there is Power Steering. I had the most basic system you can imagine (you guys in NA can't even get this version), basically the steering of an E46. Soooo hard, my arms hurt when I had to park it. (heavy engine!)
-Cupholders. Or the lack thereof... (again, they are standard in NA but not here) don't laugh, for me cupholders are vital I drive long distances, often under time pressure so I don't have time to sit down for a coffee. My floor mats looked like someone crapped on them, so many spills.

I never thought I'd say this but I did not like driving my car at all.

Lesson learned: I will never buy a used BMW again. I want to pick the color, interior, options, packages, etc..etc... at least I KNOW WHAT I WANT!
I love the E60 , it's one of my favorite cars all time and I would happily buy a new one in the future. Price is an issue at the moment, I cannot afford brand new just yet.

So for the time being --ie. until financial improvement, and possibly release of F10-- I will drive around in my beater '04 Explorer. At least it has 6 cupholders

I will keep checking back to this forum though... great people here!
and like I said - I LOVE these cars!

may the force be with y'all

Greg
Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Greg,

Sorry to hear about your issues. i have a fully loaded 535d with no cup holders (so i guess it aint so fully loaded! . really ridiculous. And the reason it has no cupholders is that when it was bought new, one doesnt even think that he\she has to ask specially for cupholders. So if the dealer forgets to suggest it.... walla no cup holders!

The noise from the doors is terrible. i have it too.

Other than that,...its great.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Members

beerholders is a must
Old 06-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about the issues. dont be a stranger now. everyone's opinion is welcomed.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

ronald_adi
Do you have a photo of your interior without cupholders? They are not a delete option in the UK and unfortunately you have to have them. I would have specified without, given the choice, because they are the ugliest thing on the inside of the car by some margin.

Love to see photos without
Old 06-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='440137' date='Jun 27 2007, 12:52 AM
ronald_adi
Do you have a photo of your interior without cupholders? They are not a delete option in the UK and unfortunately you have to have them. I would have specified without, given the choice, because they are the ugliest thing on the inside of the car by some margin.

Love to see photos without
here u go.
Attached Thumbnails See you in a couple of years!-img_0701.jpg  
Old 06-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i/ black with aurburn/ sport/ SMG/ m aero kit/ premimum sound/ cold weather/ heated rear/ navigation/20" iforged sprints in gunmetal with PS2's _GONE

I feel for you man! I went through a similar experience on the previous X5. I got one of the first ones in the US. I had a ton of problems I couldn't wait to get out of the lease. I parked for almost a year because I didn't like driving it. I would find a new problem each time. The car had a ton of recalls. I learned from the experience...let BMW work out the kinks and buy a new model at least one year after its release. This is just my experience.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by Greg530' post='440045' date='Jun 26 2007, 09:13 PM
After very long consideration -like 2 months or so- I decided it was time to part from my 530d. It was a short "relationship" of about 7 months.
I bought the car used, a 09/2003 model, one of the first ones. The engine was incredibly good, all that torque and power + combined with 30-40 mpg.
But I had issues.
-Transmission had to be replaced -courtesy of BMW , beyond warranty- but I started experiencing the same problems with the new one too. (Very rough shifts)
-Noises. Creaking around the door frames, usual tricks described in this forum -cleaning the seals- only helped for a matter of days. I hated to drive it in the city, all those bumps and curbs, especially with passengers the sound was embarassing. Not a luxury car impression, to say the least.
-Power steering. When buying, I didn't even know there is power steering and there is Power Steering. I had the most basic system you can imagine (you guys in NA can't even get this version), basically the steering of an E46. Soooo hard, my arms hurt when I had to park it. (heavy engine!)
-Cupholders. Or the lack thereof... (again, they are standard in NA but not here) don't laugh, for me cupholders are vital I drive long distances, often under time pressure so I don't have time to sit down for a coffee. My floor mats looked like someone crapped on them, so many spills.

I never thought I'd say this but I did not like driving my car at all.

Lesson learned: I will never buy a used BMW again. I want to pick the color, interior, options, packages, etc..etc... at least I KNOW WHAT I WANT!
I love the E60 , it's one of my favorite cars all time and I would happily buy a new one in the future. Price is an issue at the moment, I cannot afford brand new just yet.

So for the time being --ie. until financial improvement, and possibly release of F10-- I will drive around in my beater '04 Explorer. At least it has 6 cupholders

I will keep checking back to this forum though... great people here!
and like I said - I LOVE these cars!
may the force be with y'all

Greg
Greg,
I guess you didn't enjoy much support from your SA because all your issues are very well known and easily fixed (heavy steering apart, which is totally unheard of to me)!
Aftermarket cupholders are available which are prettier and more functional than the ugly original ones, creacking doors noise is totally eliminated installing new, improved doors seals (in most country under warranty terms). Concerning failure of the transmission, it seems to be quite unusual, I don't have direct experience about the problem (friends, collegues, local mechanics) but I know that quite a few manual trans have been replaced under warranty, here in Italy, before a BMW inspection, alarmed by the unsual failures rate, discovered that all the cars involved were badly chipped by some "cottage" workshop. Does it mean nothing to you?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 530d

Lucky: I actually had great support at my dealer but the car was already out of warranty. They did the transmission swap (it's an auto, btw) for free, after I kept coming back all the time.
I felt like I would be pushing it if I went back asking about the door seals. I couldn't find any aftermarket cupholders to be honest.
Well it doesn't matter anymore.. steering was my biggest problem anyway (it was lacking "servotronic").

There are many nice BMW models out there and this was my 3rd beamer anyway so as you can guess, I'LL BE BACK.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Members

Arrow

Hi there from a newbie! Been lurking for a while but this thread has really interested me.
I've just recently purchased a 530D auto (from a main dealer). JFI it's a 530d se auto with sports suspension and active steering on 17 inch run on flats. It has been parked in my garage for nearly a month because I don't like driving it! The creaking from the door seals was driving me mad, as was a 'clonk' (as best as I can describe it!!) from under the rear seat. It suffers from 'bump steer' but I must admit that is probably due to the 'run on flats' God only knows what it would be like on 19 inch rims?
It was advertised with 'bluetooth' and indeed had the phone cradle fitted but I could never get it to pair, so back to the dealers, they had it for a day and then informed me that there was no TCU?? fitted....I'm still waiting for them to contact me for a resolution.
Anything that relies on 'windows' is asking for trouble
I wish I'd bought a JAGUAR......again!
Still driving my XJ40 with 750K on the clock!

BTW it has got cup holders.....and they work!

Quick Reply: See you in a couple of years!