E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Secondary Air Injection System Fault P0492 545i

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i

I have a 2005 545i and have a P0492 fault code. The secondary injection pump seems to be working so I believe it is a leak in the hose from the pump to the valves. The hose runs under the intake manifold to the valves on either side of the back of the engine. Has anyone on here replaced the hose and if so were you able to do it without removing the intake manifold? If the intake has to be removed is there any advice on gaskets and other items I need or should replace while I am at it? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt the hose is your problem, The air pump doesn't put out that much pressure to cause the hose to tear. unless you can clearly hear the air escaping the hose(or a hose connection) i would look else where.
If your certain the pump is working(you can hear it during cold start) then the next thing i would check is the oneway valves at the end of the hoses.
My car only has one valve since its a Inline motor, Since your car is a V8 you should have 2 valves
I would pull them off and inspect them, Blow into the hole which the hose connects too and you should be able to force the valve open just by breathing into it.
If you cant open the valve no matter how hard you blow into it then the valve is most likely stuck closed and u should order a new valve/valves.
Valves are also known to get stuck open so make sure it's not before reinstalling it

If both Valves seem to be working fine(opening) then i would test the system with the car off. This way if there is a air leak you would clearly hear it.
Find the pump, Its usually located under the passenger side headlight so you will need to go from under the car to get to the electrical connector for it.
Disconnect the plug to the pump. Find a 12V source(a cordless drill battery will work) and 2 loose pieces of wire and connect the 12V directly to the pump. The pump(if its working) will turn on and start blowing. If there is a leak any where you will hear it for sure.

When ever there is a problem w/ the seconday air injection over 90% of the time its usually a problem with the pump or the valve or even both