E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seats on Fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Amethest Grey 530i--AC Schnitzer Kit all the way around--Quad Magna Flow Exhaust--20" MMR wheel 4.5 inch lip--

The recall is only for 2004 models if you didn't know
Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gvolkov' post='801864' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:32 AM
Which E60 models and which years are affected? Of course what they say is affected may not actually be true, just like with passenger airbag sensor recall.

2004 first generation E60's.

Hmm....... I'm not sure if it went to 2005, don't think so.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Members

Talked to BMW NA (1-800-831-1117) and they said that the recall pertained to the backrest and not the seat bottom, but they would look into it. After that phone call, submitted a complaint to the government website to see if they could get BMW to include the seat bottom as well as the backrest. Just a little bit ago, got a phone call from both BMW and the dealer saying that they would replace the seat at good will. Asked the service advisor about the recall, and he continued to deny that there was any sort of recall for my 2004 530i besides the passenger seat sensor, although I had the transmission control module go out on me and rendered me stranded a couple years ago...
Old 12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Members

I made an appointment with my dealer today as the seat warmer burned a hole in my seat and on my pants. Quick dangerous, what if I had a piece of paper in my back pocket? I'm glad it didn't burned me, thank goodness for Jeans.

I have an 04 525i with a build date of 11/03 and the dealer said he didn't have any open warranty items on my car so we'll see what happens from here. I can't believe they don't recall all of these vehicles, like I said, what happened if I had a piece of paper in my back pocket, it would have burned my ass...literally.

I also put in a complaint at the Safecar.gov site as well and if I don't get the dealer to fix the issue, than I'll contact BMWNA. Hopefully they'll do the right thing and fix the issue and replace the seat bottom.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

That is bull the seat back was not the problem my 04 530 seat bottom side bolster was the issue as that is the part that burned on both my seats and the entire seat top and bottom was replaced for free. They did a okay job but I wonder if it happens again will they still fix it again for free or minimal to us consumers.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Contributors

Mine was seat bottom. I even got the internal warranty information on my 530 and it clearly was written "recall - seat heater coil defective". Whatever kind of shit they are telling you is a flat out - LIE.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Although it's true that the recall officially only dealt with the backrest (specifically in the area of the side bolsters), many people had issues with the seat bottom and got things fixed under warranty.

Here's the text of the recall notice that deals with the backrest (sorry for the caps, I didn't type it, just copied and pasted it):

Recall Date:
DEC 06, 2004

Model Affected:
2004 BMW 5 SERIES

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FRONT SEAT HEATING SYSTEMS, UPON ENTERING AND EXITING THE VEHICLE, EXCESSIVE CONTACT WITH THE SIDE BOLSTER THAT IS CONTAINED IN THE SEAT'S BACKREST MAY DAMAGE THE HEATING MAT LOCATED IN THIS AREA. IF SUCH DAMAGE WERE TO OCCUR, WITH THE SYSTEM TURNED ON, THE VEHICLE OCCUPANT MAY FEEL EXCESSIVE HEAT FROM THIS AREA.

Consequence:
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE HEATING MAT IN THE BACKREST'S SIDE BOLSTER COULD OVERHEAT AND DAMAGE, OR MELT A SMALL HOLE IN, THIS AREA OF THE SEAT COVER. IF THIS HAPPENED, IT COULD LEAD TO AN OCCUPANT BEING BURNED.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE SEAT HEATING CIRCUIT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117.

Potential Units Affected:

And here's a downloadable/printable version in case it helps...
nhTSA_recall_bulletin_04V575000.pdf
Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1070623' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:22 PM
Although it's true that the recall officially only dealt with the backrest (specifically in the area of the side bolsters), many people had issues with the seat bottom and got things fixed under warranty.

Here's the text of the recall notice that deals with the backrest (sorry for the caps, I didn't type it, just copied and pasted it):

Recall Date:
DEC 06, 2004

Model Affected:
2004 BMW 5 SERIES

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FRONT SEAT HEATING SYSTEMS, UPON ENTERING AND EXITING THE VEHICLE, EXCESSIVE CONTACT WITH THE SIDE BOLSTER THAT IS CONTAINED IN THE SEAT'S BACKREST MAY DAMAGE THE HEATING MAT LOCATED IN THIS AREA. IF SUCH DAMAGE WERE TO OCCUR, WITH THE SYSTEM TURNED ON, THE VEHICLE OCCUPANT MAY FEEL EXCESSIVE HEAT FROM THIS AREA.

Consequence:
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE HEATING MAT IN THE BACKREST'S SIDE BOLSTER COULD OVERHEAT AND DAMAGE, OR MELT A SMALL HOLE IN, THIS AREA OF THE SEAT COVER. IF THIS HAPPENED, IT COULD LEAD TO AN OCCUPANT BEING BURNED.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE SEAT HEATING CIRCUIT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117.

Potential Units Affected:

And here's a downloadable/printable version in case it helps...
Attachment 95651
Thank you Rudy, we'll see what the dealer says on Friday. My car fits in the original warranty criteria, obviously the problem was fixed for good at that time. Hopefully BMWNA has set a precedent by fixing the other cars so they will do the same for mine.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Hailander' post='1070878' date='Dec 9 2009, 11:31 AM
Thank you Rudy, we'll see what the dealer says on Friday. My car fits in the original warranty criteria, obviously the problem was fixed for good at that time. Hopefully BMWNA has set a precedent by fixing the other cars so they will do the same for mine.
Dropped off the car at the dealer and zero hassles, SA told me he has seen a few of these issues occurred and that BMW will repair and replace at no cost. I didn't even asked if they would. That was very cool. Only downside was that they could have told me this over the phone instead of making me come in. I have to bring the car back because they have to order the parts.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Hailander' post='1072222' date='Dec 11 2009, 02:04 PM
Dropped off the car at the dealer and zero hassles, SA told me he has seen a few of these issues occurred and that BMW will repair and replace at no cost. I didn't even asked if they would. That was very cool. Only downside was that they could have told me this over the phone instead of making me come in. I have to bring the car back because they have to order the parts.
They probably needed to see it first hand to make sure there wasn't evidence of abuse, misuse, etc. Glad they're taking care of you...

Quick Reply: Seats on Fire