E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seatbelt ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5 with many mods....

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='724194' date='Nov 18 2008, 10:42 AM
+100 I whole heartedly agree, if a grown person decides not to wear his seatbelt that his choice whether it be dumb or not, a minor thats a different story.

I agree you should fight the ticket, its is your word versus his w/o any other evidence to back him up. Besides to the best of my knowledge its a non moving violation anyway, so I dont think this would hit your driving record? Can anyone confirm?

I know all states are a little bit different, but these seat belt laws are so new I wasnt sure they are classifing them as non-moving or not.

FYI....I do wear my seatbelt alwasy......force of habit!

In California, when it comes to defense of a minor traffic violation, with no other evidence available to either party, the "his word versus your word" approach is totally void....YOU LOSE! The officer is a trained and qualified professional, not only in the observation and enforcement of traffic violations, but also and more imprtantly, in courtroom procedure and truth in testimony.
In my opinion, your best bet is to plead "no contest" and take the diversion penalty, be it a reduced fine or traffic school.
Coincidentally, I am a former police officer and I DO NOT normally wear my seatbelt.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I had a ticket in HK for $61us for my son forgot to put on his seat belt
Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='750878' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:03 PM
this post has been retired for about a month now but im happy to say that the cop never entered the ticket and im $120 richer for it.....i love NYPD incompetance.
I guess you showed them, huh?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2006 530xi Silver on gray. Premium, Premium Sound, Sports(lite), Cold Weather pkgs, Navi

I was pulled over recently for crossing the center line in a tunnel. While I waited for the officer, I undid my belt and reached over and got out my registration and insurance card. Of course when he comes to the window he says " So, decided not to wear your seatbelt today??" He wouldn't hear anything to the contrary from me or my 67year old(ie not some young kid) passenger. In the end I decided that my time was worth more than spending a day in Traffic court. I guess I learnt my lesson to sit still and wait.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='750955' date='Dec 22 2008, 10:48 PM
I guess you showed them, huh?

nah, just got lucky. ticket was bullsh!t anyway...
Old 12-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

I rather like how UAE deals with the seatbelt issue. It's technically the law, and if you get flashed (speed cameras) while speeding and aren't wearing a seatbelt, you could get a fine, but ultimately they don't care. Same with child seats - Most people don't use them here (with some exceptions). Deal is, though - if you get into an accident and you weren't wearing a seatbelt, TOUGH LUCK. Sucks to be you, pay for your own medical bills and your own busted ass car.

Thing is, insurance premiums run on averages and statistics. If insurance company pays out X a year than their intake has to be Y to cover that. Someone doesn't wear a seatbelt and gets ejected out of the side of his car in a crash costs... a lot. Insurance premiums for everyone pays for this. Like it or not, it's how it works. I, personally, would rather the insurance company NOT pay for that person. They clearly don't care about their own life, why should the insurance company?

If people want to be accountable, they should be left to be accountable. Too cool to follow rules? No problem, pay for that new face yourself!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='751158' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:39 AM
I rather like how UAE deals with the seatbelt issue. It's technically the law, and if you get flashed (speed cameras) while speeding and aren't wearing a seatbelt, you could get a fine, but ultimately they don't care. Same with child seats - Most people don't use them here (with some exceptions). Deal is, though - if you get into an accident and you weren't wearing a seatbelt, TOUGH LUCK. Sucks to be you, pay for your own medical bills and your own busted ass car.

Thing is, insurance premiums run on averages and statistics. If insurance company pays out X a year than their intake has to be Y to cover that. Someone doesn't wear a seatbelt and gets ejected out of the side of his car in a crash costs... a lot. Insurance premiums for everyone pays for this. Like it or not, it's how it works. I, personally, would rather the insurance company NOT pay for that person. They clearly don't care about their own life, why should the insurance company?

If people want to be accountable, they should be left to be accountable. Too cool to follow rules? No problem, pay for that new face yourself!
So what happens when that poor unsecured crumb snatcher (infant) goes smashing into the seat or dash...or launched out the window? Any penalties for parental stupidity?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='751333' date='Dec 23 2008, 09:04 PM
So what happens when that poor unsecured crumb snatcher (infant) goes smashing into the seat or dash...or launched out the window? Any penalties for parental stupidity?
Besides losing their child? I'm not sure, they aren't explicit about that. Considering honor killings still happen here on occasion .. who knows. I'm sure they'd get hit with the fine for not having a car seat. But maybe they'd consider the grease stain that use to be the persons baby as punishment enough.

It pisses me of to no end. I have to physically restrain my wife sometimes. This is not a good place to get out of the car and run up to locals at stop lights, yelling at them about their parenting... The child is an innocent victim to their stupidity. Sad thing is, you read about child deaths all the time, but still they hang their heads out the friggin window while sitting on their moms lap on the freeway.

National Day was insane, people were sitting on their roofs of their SUV's, legs dangling through their moonroof, cruising around the streets while holding infants. Oh well, what can you do. I'll never understand.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='751526' date='Dec 23 2008, 04:18 PM
Besides losing their child? I'm not sure, they aren't explicit about that. Considering honor killings still happen here on occasion .. who knows. I'm sure they'd get hit with the fine for not having a car seat. But maybe they'd consider the grease stain that use to be the persons baby as punishment enough.

It pisses me of to no end. I have to physically restrain my wife sometimes. This is not a good place to get out of the car and run up to locals at stop lights, yelling at them about their parenting... The child is an innocent victim to their stupidity. Sad thing is, you read about child deaths all the time, but still they hang their heads out the friggin window while sitting on their moms lap on the freeway.

National Day was insane, people were sitting on their roofs of their SUV's, legs dangling through their moonroof, cruising around the streets while holding infants. Oh well, what can you do. I'll never understand.
You said it well brother, my sentiments exactly!!
Maryland State Police
Old 12-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='751333' date='Dec 24 2008, 01:04 AM
I think the big penalties for that person is losting there child.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt ticket...