E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seat Heater Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Fast!

Hello all!!

I was curious about the thigh bolster or thigh support being heated or not with a heated seat. So I called my dealer and the SA said that it was not. Not that I doubt anything my SA says but... I could have sworn that in my last 530i they were. There are wires going to it and everything. Can anyone test this or if you already know let me know. Is this different per model or seat package. On both cars I had/have the comfort seats. How about you CA or HI folks, are yours warm on a winter day? Mine are not working or maybe they are working fine and just not heated?! Ok, they are cold when it is 15F outside and my seat heater is on. I suppose I could ask my wife when she sits in the passenger side...but then my wife is never in my car! jk My car is at the dealer now, and the 325xi doesn't have heated steering wheel and I miss it! The dealer bent all four of my rims and is blaming me. but that is another post and topic...

So many posts, so little time...Rudy how do you do it?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DWS545' post='536807' date='Feb 27 2008, 03:08 PM
Hello all!!

I was curious about the thigh bolster or thigh support being heated or not with a heated seat. So I called my dealer and the SA said that it was not. Not that I doubt anything my SA says but... I could have sworn that in my last 530i they were. There are wires going to it and everything. Can anyone test this or if you already know let me know. Is this different per model or seat package. On both cars I had/have the comfort seats. How about you CA or HI folks, are yours warm on a winter day? Mine are not working or maybe they are working fine and just not heated?! Ok, they are cold when it is 15F outside and my seat heater is on. I suppose I could ask my wife when she sits in the passenger side...but then my wife is never in my car! jk My car is at the dealer now, and the 325xi doesn't have heated steering wheel and I miss it! The dealer bent all four of my rims and is blaming me. but that is another post and topic...

So many posts, so little time...Rudy how do you do it?
The thigh bolsters on my 550i sport are not heated.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by DWS545' post='536807
The thigh bolsters on my 550i sport are not heated.
DWS545, welcome to the forums. How do I do it? Believe it or not, it's often times just a couple minutes here and a couple minutes there and a whole lot of clicking on "view new posts"!

I'm going to have to double-check but I'm pretty sure the thigh bolsters are heated on my car (boy I had to wait a while to finally type that answer! ) Come to think of it, they were heated on my 2004 sport seats as well. Now that I'm re-living history, I'm pretty sure they were heated on both of my E39 cars...

I'll be getting into my car very shortly so I'll try to remember to notice what's up...
Old 02-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

They are not heated on my seats.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Welcome To The Forums!
On both my prior 330xi and my current E60, the thigh bolsters were NOT heated. I have asked this several times of my SA [why weren't they heated], and the answer is typically that the seats are configured with heating elements in the bottom and back rest.

The wires you may have seen going there are probably related to the extension of the thigh support not necessarily heating....
Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Not to get into anything "heated" here but I have to say, once again, they're heated.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Senior Members

Definitely heated.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Wow! I must admit I will concede to the experts on this one. I am going to crank my heat up and see if I can feel anything. Maybe I have some sort of nerve problem in my legs because I have never felt heat from the thigh support.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FRANK970' post='536928' date='Feb 27 2008, 07:01 PM
Wow! I must admit I will concede to the experts on this one. I am going to crank my heat up and see if I can feel anything. Maybe I have some sort of nerve problem in my legs because I have never felt heat from the thigh support.
Usually, you can't feel it with your hand since the heat transfers more with pressure from the weight of your body/leg/whatever.

If you drive a BMW with heated seats, you sometimes don't realize how well they work because the heating is so uniform. If the thigh bolster was not heated, it would feel much colder and you'd notice it right away. Trust me, I've spent plenty of time in lesser cars with heated seats and even the main parts of the seat have cold spots, etc.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Members

My 04 545i with comfort seats are heated in the thigh bolsters and the inflatable bolsters.

I had to check it out even though it was 70 degrees out today.

Quick Reply: Seat Heater Question