E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat belt warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody figured out yet if it possible to disable the seatbelt warning?

On the Z4 you quickly pull up the handbrake when the alarm goes off, but that trick doesn't work on my E60..
Old 06-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

If I buckle up before you put the key in and start the car, I get no chime. If you're thinking some way to permanently disable it, sorry, can't help there.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

Simple just wear your seat belt !
Old 06-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Yeah, that is the problem though.

You see, I'm Dutch and we tend to have a problem with authority. I've got no problem wearing the seatbelt out of free choice, but to have a *German* machine, that I paid for, tell me what to do goes against everything I stand for (as a figure of speech, naturally).

The case would be the same the system told me NOT to wear it..

(I know, too many issues, just relax)
Old 06-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

i was surprised that the system even told/alert my front passenger to wear her seatbelt!
i think the chime alert is speed sensative.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Jun 16 2004, 05:36 PM
You see, I'm Dutch and we tend to have a problem with authority. I
OK, but surely you don't have a problem with staying alive? <_<
Old 06-16-2004, 01:32 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Jun 16 2004, 12:36 PM
Yeah, that is the problem though.

You see, I'm Dutch and we tend to have a problem with authority. I've got no problem wearing the seatbelt out of free choice, but to have a *German* machine, that I paid for, tell me what to do goes against everything I stand for (as a figure of speech, naturally).

The case would be the same the system told me NOT to wear it..

(I know, too many issues, just relax)
FF, in the good old US of A with all of our so-called freedoms, we are policed heavily by Johnny Law to make certain we are wearing our seatbelts. Big Brother knows best, I guess. Recently had a nephew who avoided death wo his seatbelt hooked. He had taken it off in an icy situation to remove his coat and had not hooked it back up. The SUV skidded, overturned and he was thrown out. The subsequent rollover crushed the top, but he landed in a ditch. All four doors of the car were closed at the end of the rollover, but may have come open at one time while he was being thrown out. He suffered a cracked back but has recovered and is not deceased.

With that said, I believe we are all better off wearing the seat belts. I just like to make my own decisions as you do, too.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Fisrt of all... As said here in previous posts... You should wear your seatbelt all the times, it is there for a good reason. And that would disable the chimes...
*smartass mode off*
Buy a buckle and plug it in - the car thinks you are buckled up...
Old 06-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Members

Not to get to political, but it seems a bit lame to rebel against authority by not wearing a seatbelt. I can think of numerous other, more productive ways to channel that energy.

Here in the states you need to understand why there are seatbelts laws. It's not because various states want to save lives, although that's an obvious ancillary benefit. Lawmakers could care less whether it saves lives or not...what it does save is a tremendous amount of money. The cost to a state and/or a municipality to deal with a traffic/auto death is a very large number that, in the end, our tax dollars pay for.

The general laws of physics should be enough to persuade you to wear a damn seatbelt. A vehicle going 60MPH, hitting another vehicle will tend to stop both vehicles quickly. Objects not tied down within each vehicle (including you) will continue moving at 60MPH which results in you going through the windshield like a hot knife through butter just a lot messier.

I would like to think that general commonsense would outweigh any anarchistic motives...but what do I know...
Old 06-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Thanks for reminding me why I never want to live in the States (even though my wife is American and we were planning moving there in the future).

1 Authority is not meant as in police officers enforcing local laws. I know they are some sort of demi gods in the US, over here in the real world there are mere civil servants. I was referring to the general principle of choice against general opinion.

2 I wish I could explain this in my own language, but nonetheless I have a problem with being patronised as a customer. I do not accept that from my suplliers and I do not expect my customers to do so either. This free market free world choose life attitude once more turns out to be nothing more than the boundries you are daring to play in. Live a little ffs.

So once more, I *DO* where seatbelts, most of the time, but I don't wish to be nagged to death by my wife, customers, government, neighbours or my car in doing so.
That's why we splash out on the thing in the first place, isn't it? To have a nice quiet place to be yourself in?

F

Quick Reply: Seat belt warning