E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seat belt chime " Game Over "

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say this.

I do wear my seatbelt and believe in it.

But, if the US DOT doesn't mandate a permanent chime while moving without a belt on, then why would BMW impose this?

It seems like, stupid, Darwinistic or not, I should choose whether to comply with traffic laws and whether to wear my belt.

I DO wear my belt, but that's not the point. Don't NAV systems include speed limit data for the street maps they include, to assist in figuring out how long it will take to reach your destination? If so, what's stopping BMW from putting in the incessant chime if I'm speeding? It's just as illegal and just as unsafe.

A friendly reminder on startup or start moving is fine. Incessant chiming forever is not.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Besides the problem of passenger leaving the car there is also a problem if u
put somthg on the seat (bag,case, even a thick volume). It can start chiming imly or 10 min later. With the offered solution one drawback:the passenger going to
fasten the belt has too fumble with the inserted thing and put it somewhere.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Members

Thumbs up

it is known that speeding over 120 km is considered to be dangerous... THEN why BMW give us the ability to modify the speed limit ?? isn't that for our safety ??? and mustn't it be fixed as in other cars ? AND why the chime for over speeding is just once ?? agine isn't that more impoartant than ... seat belt chime ??

Thinking Logically: which one is more dangerous ???

(A) if you didn't wear seat belt and your are driving slowly

( or if you are wearing seat belt but your speed is exceeding the safety limit ..

:thumbsdown:(C )
Old 10-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Contributors

D) You are driving slowly without a seatbelt, when someone traveling fast hits you.

It is the other driver's you need to worry about.

Do you put a child in a car seat??
Old 10-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Memotronic' date='Oct 22 2004, 11:22 AM
it is known that speeding over 120 km is considered to be dangerous...
[snapback]47957[/snapback]
A long time ago, US cars had no seat belts, third brake light, air bags, etc.
It's proven that they work and as CRRobert pointed out, you can't control all the world's variables, you can only control yourself.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='Oct 22 2004, 04:20 AM
OMG !!! He flew into the Ala Wai !? ouch !! and yuck too, that water.....bleh.? ? Btw, is the re construction(?) of the Ala Wai done?? Last I heard the gov't is gonna fancy up the side walk and will temporarily pull all the meter parking along Ala Wai blvd, dam that'll make parking worse.

BTW. did his accident happen at the McCully/Ala Wai junction?? I see accidents happen there all the time.

Bunbun.
[snapback]47870[/snapback]
even worse is he was on tv ! it's super duper embarrassed . the cleanup project is done but the sidewalk is still on. there was no meter parking along ala wai before but it'll get less free parking because of the so-called beautification project . constructions are all over town right now. it's a big mess . oh, yes. the "superman 2004" was filmed there .
Old 10-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Oct 22 2004, 05:55 AM
He is going to do it if he wants.? Nothing you can say will change it.? I say let them do it.? I hope an accident never comes to them but if it does an investigation will prove them at fault and they will then pay the penalty, hopefulyy not the ultimate penalty.? But he also said he uses them to pull from the garage and park outside.
[snapback]47766[/snapback]
I guess it's about the same with the foglights...
Old 10-23-2004, 02:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

My seatbelt saved my life a few months ago. I always wear it even on a 2 minute trip.. You never know what idiots you can run across with..
Old 10-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Oct 23 2004, 12:46 PM
You never know what idiots you can run across with..
[snapback]48235[/snapback]
Exactly!
I think I am a pretty good driver and have a lot of experience. But that doesn't mean you're not having a crash... You can be Michael Schumacher and you're not save, since the others on the street might not be as good and experienced as you are.
I found that chime really annoying at the beginning, since in my previous car I was so lazy I almost never used my seatbelt... But the chime made me buckle up before I start the engine! And that IS a good thing I really like!!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Contributors

From my office to the entrance of the business park is about 500 metres. In the evening I always drop off the mail at the gate. I never wear the seatbelt on those 500 metres, cause the place is deserted, it is private land and I'm only in it for a second.
There is no reason for that stupid chime to go off.
I love the X3, there's not even a warning light for the seatbelt in that thing.

Quick Reply: Seat belt chime " Game Over "