E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seat Adjustment - sports seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

in the last week i seem to be VERY uncomfortable in my M-sport sports seats.

i moved the seat a few times during cleaning now i cannot get it back to a comfortable position. at first i thought nothing of it and just assumed i would eventually find the correct combination of setting but no.....

.....days have gone by and i cannot get comfortable, i have constant pressure on the underside of my legs and it feels like my weight is not spread out evenly on the seat base and is more biased towards the rear.

now before the jokes start...i am not a BIG person at all avg height, build, weight etc.....run 5 times a week, gym 4 times so not likely that i'm too big for the sports seats

i have inspected the seat and it does appear that the padding in the base of the drivers seat seems to have flattened, lost some of its firmness or slipped, is this possible? should i get the dealer to check it?

i did find using the tilt feature helped a bit, if anyones got any pointers on correct posture for driving that might help me work out if i just need to raise seat more, tilt it more, move steering wheel closer etc etc.....i'm trying all sorts at the moment.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I have no easy answers for you but if you are feeling too much pressure on the underside of your thighs you are tilted rearward too much. tilt the seat forward a bit so the bottom of your thighs are just lightly pressed against the thigh support, not completely supported.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

same case with my regular leather seats, I can't get comfi at all. long drives are nightmare.
That is why I want to get sports or comfort seats retro..... but it is too much money for new ones so have to keep looking for a good buy
Old 07-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Jul 26 2005, 04:03 PM
.....run 5 times a week, gym 4 times so not likely that i'm too big for the sports seats?
[snapback]153365[/snapback]
There's your problem..... you've over exercised and now your too small for them! Get down to MacD's and gorge out then you won't slide about in them
Old 07-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Jul 26 2005, 06:03 PM
in the last week i seem to be VERY uncomfortable in my M-sport sports seats.

i moved the seat a few times during cleaning now i cannot get it back to a comfortable position. at first i thought nothing of it and just assumed i would eventually find the correct combination of setting but no.....

.....days have gone by and i cannot get comfortable, i have constant pressure on the underside of my legs and it feels like my weight is not spread out evenly on the seat base and is more biased towards the rear.

now before the jokes start...i am not a BIG person at all avg height, build, weight etc.....run 5 times a week, gym 4 times so not likely that i'm too big for the sports seats?

i have inspected the seat and it does appear that the padding in the base of the drivers seat seems to have flattened, lost some of its firmness or slipped, is this possible? should i get the dealer to check it?

i did find using the tilt feature helped a bit, if anyones got any pointers on correct posture for driving that might help me work out if i just need to raise seat more, tilt it more, move steering wheel closer etc etc.....i'm trying all sorts at the moment.
[snapback]153365[/snapback]

I haven't been comfortable in the sport seats on my 545i since day 1. My right hip starts hurting everytime I sit in the car and drive. I have tried at least over 50 different seat settings till now and nothing works. I just assumed it was me. (also avg build but gym every 3-4 months and run every 2-3 years)
Old 07-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Jet Black/Black, Manual, Sport, Logic 7

My sport seats are not the most comfortable, either. I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs, but feel like there's not enough lower back support. But, I never have a drive over 1.5 hrs on our little island so I'll live with it. I also think the steering wheel needs to be set a little too high to see the gauges clearly.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

talk about the steering wheel, i don't like it at all. it's so big that i have to adjust it to the highest position. it'll then allow me to see the gauges and not rub my right lap. if not, it'll leave white mark on my pants .
Old 07-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Jul 27 2005, 10:53 AM
I haven't been comfortable in the sport seats on my 545i since day 1. My right hip starts hurting everytime I sit in the car and drive. I have tried at least over 50 different seat settings till now and nothing works. I just assumed it was me. (also avg build but gym every 3-4 months and run every 2-3 years)
[snapback]153589[/snapback]
Well, I'm 6'3" 205 lbs and have had no problems with the sport seat in my car, but kryptokat, sounds like you and I have the same workout routine!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Same here, get a lot of pain in my lower back particularly - and this is with the optional lumbar support! Found the best setting to be tipped back about two notches, thigh support fully retracted, with the seat quite upright (this seems key) and the base of the seat raised about half way... used to sit in a very 'Apollo 13', more horizontal than vertical position (!) in my old E46 (non-Sport), but that just doesn't work in the E61... also hate the way you can't lean your elbow properly on the window 'sill' as it is much narrower than on the E46, E39 and X5!

My wife, who views most trips in the car as an opportunity to get in a crafty snooze, also complains endlessly about how uncomfortable the seats are...
Old 07-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributors

I too feel your pain, but these seats are so very adjustable you might just have to spend more time tweeking your adjustments to get it right. That said the sport seats are WAY more comfortable and adjustable then the seats in my porsche.

Quick Reply: Seat Adjustment - sports seats