E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scrolling lists with Idrive

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 05:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. Just picked up my 530xit from re-delivery on Friday. Got a few hundred miles on it this weekend and loving it. I have a question about using the Idrive knob to scroll through lists.

Specifically in my phone book and when scrolling down the list of states in Navigation, I find that the controller will not move past the end of the screen even if there are more names on the list. If I force the controller, it will shudder and manage to work its way down the list. Is this correct? Should my cursor be stopping at the end of the screen and only moving on only "under protest"?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by fuenfwagon' date='Sep 12 2005, 08:48 AM
Hi there.? Just picked up my 530xit from re-delivery on Friday.? Got a few hundred miles on it this weekend and loving it.? I have a question about using the Idrive knob to scroll through lists.

Specifically in my phone book and when scrolling down the list of states in Navigation, I find that the controller will not move past the end of the screen even if there are more names on the list.? If I force the controller, it will shudder and manage to work its way down the list.? Is this correct?? Should my cursor be stopping at the end of the screen and only moving on only "under protest"?

[snapback]169685[/snapback]
Yours works like mine does. The normality of the shuddering action is implied in my 545i manual.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

This is correct.

I have also wondered why I can scroll my I-Drive in certain lists and in others the I-Drive won't scroll but just shutter down or up.

It has been discussed before and it is perfectly normal (after a while you won't notice it anymore).
Old 09-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

I beleive this is normal (the iDrive wheel starts to "jump" and seems to be living it's own life when you reach the end of the list-page).
Old 09-12-2005, 06:07 AM
Members

Blazingly fast response...awesome. Here's another question, slightly related. When I am in the I-menu -- Communications Interface -- BMW Service Settings -- Service Status; there is highlightable selection "Options" at the top followed by the list of services. I can scroll the list to bring of those not on the screen but they are not selectable. Is this normal? Is this simply meant to be a list of available services but they have to be activated from elsewhere?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i (Canada); Deep Sea Blue Metallic; Creme Leather; M Sport Package; Premium Package; Nav Package.

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 12 2005, 09:55 AM
This is correct.

I have also wondered why I can scroll my I-Drive in certain lists and in others the I-Drive won't scroll but just shutter down or up.

It has been discussed before and it is perfectly normal (after a while you won't notice it anymore).
[snapback]169688[/snapback]
When you reach the end of a list, and the shuddering starts, I've found you can pull the iDrive controller rearward and then be able to scroll some more without the shuddering.

Is shuddering a word?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Everybody has it, but I would't call it "normal". I call it annoying.
It really makes it gard to enter states etc. into the Navi system.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:45 AM
SDS
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Leather,poplar grain wood trimi, prem. pkg., prem. sound pkg., cold weather pkg., steptronic auto. trans., front comfort seats, split folding rear seats w/ski bag,rear heated seating, power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades, park distance control, BMW on-board navigation system and satellite radio.

Originally Posted by fuenfwagon' date='Sep 12 2005, 09:48 AM
Hi there.? Just picked up my 530xit from re-delivery on Friday.? Got a few hundred miles on it this weekend and loving it.? I have a question about using the Idrive knob to scroll through lists.

Specifically in my phone book and when scrolling down the list of states in Navigation, I find that the controller will not move past the end of the screen even if there are more names on the list.? If I force the controller, it will shudder and manage to work its way down the list.? Is this correct?? Should my cursor be stopping at the end of the screen and only moving on only "under protest"?

[snapback]169685[/snapback]

I think the shuddering gives a certain amount of control as to not fly by the list so fast. The intermitant clicks gives a little more pause/control, don't you think? I wondered if I was doing something wrong the first time I experienced it and then later realized that must be how it's designed. [What do you mean by "re-"delivery?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:58 AM
Members

[What do you mean by "re-"delivery?
[snapback]169710[/snapback]
[/quote]

Re-delivery means the car was delivered once in Munich when I collected it from European Delivery and then re-delivered to me by my local dealer in NY after its boatride across the Atlantic.

European Delivery is a program that allows Americans (and perhaps others, not sure) to pick up the car in Munich, tool around Europe for a while and then have it shipped to the US. There's a significant cost savings which I suspect is due to that fact that BMW is shipping a used car as opposed to a new one.