E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Screen not bright on a cold car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Lately I have noticed that the screen is not bright enough when I start the car, esp when it has been sitting overnight. I don't seem to recall this happening last winter. Have any of you noticed this?

The display gets plenty bright after 5 minutes or so.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Yes, especially the last few days when it has been in the minus teens.

This used to occur on my previous E60 as well. Gone after a few minutes when the car warms up.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

my screen almost pulsates ... dim to bright... anybody think that it might be my battery being low charged??? kinda concerned..ericd
Old 01-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='377232' date='Jan 12 2007, 09:58 AM
Lately I have noticed that the screen is not bright enough when I start the car, esp when it has been sitting overnight. I don't seem to recall this happening last winter. Have any of you noticed this?

The display gets plenty bright after 5 minutes or so.
Yup, LCD screens don't like to be frozen. Thus the term "Liquid" Crystal Display really starts to mean something. Just give them a few minutes to warm up they'll be fine.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

oh, thank good i thought i was going color blind....
my car does that too... sounds like its a temp issue,
pehaps when weather is cold its darker, and brightens up when it goes to operating temp...
Old 01-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Madoon, how cold does it get in Bahrain?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

it never gets cold but this year temperatures have fallen to about 7 and 8 Celsius.. some are probably saying thats not cold..well it is for us...in the early morning i can see the main menus words arnt white, a little gray...thats how i first noticed it... thought i was still asleep when i looked at it again after about a minute and it was normal...the second day, same thing.. by third day was beging to fear something was going wrong with the screen.. i did think about the temp because some screens do get darker when its hot which happens alot here.. but its only been a week since i noticed this and its very slightly darker......i noticed it...but its very difficult to notice..
Old 01-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19820&hl=
Old 01-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Members

My Ride: just a regular E60

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='377270' date='Jan 13 2007, 02:14 AM
Yup, LCD screens don't like to be frozen. Thus the term "Liquid" Crystal Display really starts to mean something. Just give them a few minutes to warm up they'll be fine.
The backlighting for the LCD is CCFL. Not always, but, 90% of them are today. CCFL is a type of a fluorescent lamp. CCFL does not operate efficiently at low temps. It is darker when the car is just started, even on a "normal" day. When the ambient temperature is very low, it may take a lot longer for the CCFL to warm up and get to the brightness set.

Sorry, automotive grade LCD's liquid crystal material does not freeze at temperatures at which the car can be started or operated...

Just my informed $0.02.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mshasegawa' post='378476' date='Jan 15 2007, 03:02 PM
Just my informed $0.02.
Always a pleasure to read an expert's contribution.

Thanks.

As an aside I've noticed that the brightness adjuster for the instrument panel/LCD screen is adjustable dependent upon ambient light level as determined by the on-board light sensors. During the "day" I have no adjustment at all.

ABC

Quick Reply: Screen not bright on a cold car?