E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched Windows - Suggestions? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, my second day with my pristeen '06 530i and my 5th post and already a problem. I bought the car from what I guess you'd call a BMW broker in the Dallas area who buys "only the best" lease returns from all over the country. The car literally looks and drives like new. Lots of factory warranty left and I got it for what I feel is a great price after doing all of my homework, etc. with a local BMW dealer.

Now here's the problem - as I was "moving in" to the car today, I noticed what looked like tape residue on the inside of both rear windows - square shaped like where stickers or invoices would have been. Upon closer inspection, they are perfectly straight, rectangular scratches etched into the inside of the glass apparently done with a razor blade or razor knife. I felt instantly nauseated.

What should I do? What are my options? I can't even get the windows tinted when they're scratched like this. Should I expect the dealer/guy I bought it from to replace them? He had 40 some odd mostly newer, quite expensive BMW's for sale, all kept inside and looking great. I suspect if I ask him, he'll tell be it was sold "as is" and it's not his problem. I'm sure the cost to replace them would wipe out his profit. OR, is there any way that BMW might take care of them under warranty? I'm at a loss and upset that my new baby is damaged. Any suggestions/advice/help/sympathy(?) would be greatly appreciated as I just can't live with scratched windows.
Thanks!!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sooner79' post='573791' date='May 3 2008, 09:48 PM
OK, my second day with my pristeen '06 530i and my 5th post and already a problem. I bought the car from what I guess you'd call a BMW broker in the Dallas area who buys "only the best" lease returns from all over the country. The car literally looks and drives like new. Lots of factory warranty left and I got it for what I feel is a great price after doing all of my homework, etc. with a local BMW dealer.

Now here's the problem - as I was "moving in" to the car today, I noticed what looked like tape residue on the inside of both rear windows - square shaped like where stickers or invoices would have been. Upon closer inspection, they are perfectly straight, rectangular scratches etched into the inside of the glass apparently done with a razor blade or razor knife. I felt instantly nauseated.

What should I do? What are my options? I can't even get the windows tinted when they're scratched like this. Should I expect the dealer/guy I bought it from to replace them? He had 40 some odd mostly newer, quite expensive BMW's for sale, all kept inside and looking great. I suspect if I ask him, he'll tell be it was sold "as is" and it's not his problem. I'm sure the cost to replace them would wipe out his profit. OR, is there any way that BMW might take care of them under warranty? I'm at a loss and upset that my new baby is damaged. Any suggestions/advice/help/sympathy(?) would be greatly appreciated as I just can't live with scratched windows.
Thanks!!
Stop by a glass shop and have them evaluate it. They will either be able to polish out for $50 or tell you you need new glass. Then go from there.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='573799' date='May 4 2008, 01:06 AM
Stop by a glass shop and have them evaluate it. They will either be able to polish out for $50 or tell you you need new glass. Then go from there.
+1...and you might as well call that guy from whom you purchased it. It's worth a phone call to find out if he's willing to do anything for you. I doubt BMW would cover this under any warranty due to the fact that it's "man-made" damage, not a faulty piece of glass. Good luck and enjoy the car!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Members

I wasn't aware that glass could be polished? If not, how much do you think new rear (BMW) windows would be? Right now I'm pretty sick about it...
Old 05-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by Sooner79' post='573804' date='May 4 2008, 01:27 AM
I wasn't aware that glass could be polished? If not, how much do you think new rear (BMW) windows would be? Right now I'm pretty sick about it...
You'd have to contact BMW on that one....or the auto-glass place. Cheer up....it'll work out! Just relax till you can call around on Monday!

Also, are you definite that the glass is etched? You can actually feel the divot with your fingernail? Is it lightly etched or deep?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Members

Unfortunately they seem pretty deep. I went over them with a new single edged razor blade and they're definitely scratched. I'm so upset about it I can't sleep.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sooner79' post='573810' date='May 4 2008, 01:50 AM
Unfortunately they seem pretty deep. I went over them with a new single edged razor blade and they're definitely scratched. I'm so upset about it I can't sleep.
Hey, get some sleep and worry about it next week.

Everything can be fixed in due time. The crappy part is the long wait till Monday to start making calls for prices. Worst case scenario: You buy 2 new windows. It could be worse. Hopefully you got a smokin' deal on the car to offset this potential extra cost.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask the dealer if he'd at least be willing to split the cost with you. Chances are he can get the glass at basically cost. If not at least see if he could hook you up with a great deal on replacing the glass. Most of these used dealerships have good in roads with people and get stuff done cheaper then you or I could ever find someone to do it.

Polishing usually only works well on superfacial(light) scrathes in the glass and also usually leaves a blurred appearance in the glass at certain views. So even if they can do it you may not want it done though its worth it to have them look at and at least give you an idea of cost.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Members

Thanks for the input. If I were to replace the windows at a glass place instead of the dealership, would they use aftermarket glass? I noticed that the windows have the BMW brand on them. Would it make a difference if it's not OEM glass?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:47 AM
aR.
Members

Originally Posted by Sooner79' post='573872' date='May 4 2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the input. If I were to replace the windows at a glass place instead of the dealership, would they use aftermarket glass? I noticed that the windows have the BMW brand on them. Would it make a difference if it's not OEM glass?
You can order the BMW emblemed glass pretty much through any reputable glass shops. I have done it recently while replacing my wife's X5 windshield where Safelite glass replaced it. It took them a couple of days to get that BMW factory emblemed glass which I wanted and really no additional cost. If you are a BMW car club member, this will also help to order this glass [ or any parts, items, etc] from dealership at a great discount.

Welcome to the Forums. Another Sooner . I am Class of '83 from School of Architecture.

Quick Reply: Scratched Windows - Suggestions? Help!!