E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Scary "Brake" moment today.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='789340' date='Feb 10 2009, 02:55 PM
Today, I have had the brakes inspected and no faults can be found with either the disc's or pads! As I've had no warning lights I can only presume there are no electrical faults either.

What I did notice, was when I got my car out of the garage this morning, all 4 disc's (looking through the wheels) were all very rusted up. When I returned home last night, I immediately parked my car in the garage - this followed a few miles of the brakes continually being applied as I drove through the local town to my house. So why would they be so rusted up as they were in constant use for the last 5 -6 miles of my journey? They just looked like when the car is washed - prior to being driven, but had more visible rust.
Megane exactly the same, discs very rusty after being parked up. I can only put this down to the salt they put on the roads. It's all over the inside of your rims etc so will rust any bare metal pretty quickly. Also the damp air and change in temperature between outside and your garage won't help. To be honest I think the problem you and I experienced is caused by the sheer amount of rain and spray (busy road) and the fact that the water hitting the disc is salt water (due to gritting this time of year) being thrown up off other vehicles. Like I said I had the same thing happen to me and have kept an eye on the brakes since. I find that driving on an empty wet road the problem doesn't occur, it's when I'm on the M6 in the wet in the usual 70mph traffic jam!! and have only noticed it during the winter. Am off up to Abergele tomorrow in the E61 so if it rains will see if I notice anything.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

YOu would expect the stability control and ABS to pick this up before it even translated to a swerve ????

Never had such problems with mine, but my brain is definately tuned to such a potential problem now, thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='789675' date='Feb 10 2009, 08:43 PM
YOu would expect the stability control and ABS to pick this up before it even translated to a swerve ????

Never had such problems with mine, but my brain is definitely tuned to such a potential problem now, thanks
With the list of brake related safety (technology) features I listed a few posts back, I most certainly would have expected something to help in this situation, be it DSC or ABS - but nothing!

In fact, what struck me about the whole experience was the way in which the car felt 'dumb' - almost as if it didn't have any electronic devices whatsoever.

Whilst my car was being checked over today, I had a good look at the air duct routings from the front lower air dam - this must have contributed as streams of water would have simply been directed to the brakes. The cooling effect they offer is essential in most cases, but the amount of water they direct through in torrential rain must be significant!

Just for the record - to anyone reading this thread - I must stress that the amount of rain, standing water and distance I had travelled in these conditions was significant - it wasn't simply a 'quick drive around the block', but rather a much longer sustained period that the car was exposed to these condition. Just wanted to make that clear and not scare anyone that their e60 may be inclined to do this if they drive it in rain. However, even in these conditions, it still shouldn't have happened IMHO!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D M Sport Manual, Media Package, Dakota Grey leather, USB, Folding mirrors, Carbon Black.

eerie! I had the same experience on the M3 2 weeks ago. It was raining hard that evening around 17:00 and l was on the 3rd lane when the cars on the lane suddenly stopped. I jumped on the brakes and there was nothing for a split second and gradually grip became to fade back in. Keeping a good distance saved me from raming the car in front. Interestingly, the pull to left occurred for subsequent braking on that trip. I guessed wet brakes and proceeded to occassionally apply the brakes lightly to heat them up and the pull to left soon stopped.
I did go through the same thought process during the trip about the heated brakes feature and how braking generates electricity to charge up the battries. I remain stumped as how this could have happened. It certain took away some of my wet driving complacency that the 5 has all the gizmo for these conditions.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i,1995 M3
Model Year: 2004

Sounds to me like the brakes on the right side hydroplaned, exactly what the brake drying should have prevented. My VW brakes used to always hydroplane in heavy rain until I fitted slotted rotors. The ABS won't help you; the wheels weren't locked, but if I were you I'd take the car in to verify that the brake drying is working as it should on both sides.

Slotted rotors will help you in these conditions, but they wear faster than standard and so will your pads. Also your wheels will dust more quickly.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by itb76' post='792966' date='Feb 14 2009, 04:50 PM
Sounds to me like the brakes on the right side hydroplaned, exactly what the brake drying should have prevented. My VW brakes used to always hydroplane in heavy rain until I fitted slotted rotors. The ABS won't help you; the wheels weren't locked, but if I were you I'd take the car in to verify that the brake drying is working as it should on both sides.

Slotted rotors will help you in these conditions, but they wear faster than standard and so will your pads. Also your wheels will dust more quickly.

Light oil on rotors?? Anyone recently had your wheels off the car? Oil from anyone's fingers can cause a caliper to grab.

??