E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Satnav - local information

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 01:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

On the BMW website it explains that there's more local information on the 2005 DVD. More info about hotels, dealers, etc.

How do you access this. OK, I've not read the manual yet, but I can't find this info.

The Audi A6 I tested showed every petrol station, and other such exciting details. You could even ask nav to guide you to the nearest petrol station, Audi dealer, hotel, etc.

The BMW Nav certainly doesn't excel, compared to others.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:25 AM
Senior Members

I dont know about more information but the nav can tell you the nearest BMW dealer and petrol station aswell.

Ive hardly ever used it but I think you have to click on other information.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Dec 4 2004, 04:25 AM
On the BMW website it explains that there's more local information on the 2005 DVD. More info about hotels, dealers, etc.

How do you access this. OK, I've not read the manual yet, but I can't find this info.

The Audi A6 I tested showed every petrol station, and other such exciting details. You could even ask nav to guide you to the nearest petrol station, Audi dealer, hotel, etc.

[snapback]64444[/snapback]
After you click on new destination, there is an option for information. Then you get a 2 level menu that includes border stations (doesn't seem to work in US...), tailors, phone stores (I found another Verizon store to return my 710 this way), parks, restaurants etc. Then you have the option to call them or set as destination. The call function is great for preordering take out. And the option to get a list of restaurants near home instead or where you are is helpful for that..

I haven't extensively used any other nav but the BMWs is not that bad. I used the TL and that did have more voice commands. The clever name entry (where only the acceptable letter options appear) works well. My street is in there - about 2 years old. Wasn't in the USPS database when we moved in and has been in mapquest for about a year.

It does miss a few gas stations, it is a little slow, and it doesn't crossreference the Zagat restaurant guide or anything. Also the only car service options are for car washs and BMW dealers - couldn't find a tire shop (for a friend) because it wasn't an option.? Also the categories of stores does not always make sense..
Old 12-04-2004, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Dec 4 2004, 05:15 AM
[quote name='BangleBox_530d' date='Dec 4 2004, 04:25 AM']On the BMW website it explains that there's more local information on the 2005 DVD. More info about hotels, dealers, etc.

[snapback]64444[/snapback]
After you click on new destination, there is an option for information. Then you get a 2 level menu that includes border stations (doesn't seem to work in US...), tailors, phone stores (I found another Verizon store to return my 710 this way), parks, restaurants etc. Then you have the option to call them or set as destination. The call function is great for preordering take out. And the option to get a list of restaurants near home instead or where you are is helpful for that..

I haven't extensively used any other nav but the BMWs is not that bad. I used the TL and that did have more voice commands. The clever name entry (where only the acceptable letter options appear) works well. My street is in there - about 2 years old. Wasn't in the USPS database when we moved in and has been in mapquest for about a year.

It does miss a few gas stations, it is a little slow, and it doesn't crossreference the Zagat restaurant guide or anything. Also the only car service options are for car washs and BMW dealers - couldn't find a tire shop (for a friend) because it wasn't an option.? Also the categories of stores does not always make sense..
[snapback]64461[/snapback]
[/quote]

Last night my kids insisted on Burger King. She took us to a spot and then proudly announced "You have arrived". There was no BK to be seen. My only problem with the NAV Info is that it is so outdated that it can not be trusted. I had this issue in Europe as well. Reataurants that have been long gone for 3 years are still there. Its very frustrating.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 4 2004, 04:57 PM
Last night my kids insisted on Burger King.? She took us to a spot and then proudly announced "You have arrived".? There was no BK to be seen.? My only problem with the NAV Info is that it is so outdated that it can not be trusted.? I had this issue in Europe as well.? Reataurants that have been long gone for 3 years are still there.? Its very frustrating.
[snapback]64522[/snapback]
All the companys that are on the nav dataset are paying to be on thereIt is indeed very funny that some of these companys forgot to update the info.
I've searched for a gas station in Berlin and the first three were gone for years...
Old 12-04-2004, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 4 2004, 09:06 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Dec 4 2004, 04:57 PM']Last night my kids insisted on Burger King.? She took us to a spot and then proudly announced "You have arrived".?? There was no BK to be seen.?? My only problem with the NAV Info is that it is so outdated that it can not be trusted.?? I had this issue in Europe as well.?? Reataurants that have been long gone for 3 years are still there.? Its very frustrating.
All the companys that are on the nav dataset are paying to be on thereIt is indeed very funny that some of these companys forgot to update the info.
I've searched for a gas station in Berlin and the first three were gone for years...
[snapback]64525[/snapback]
[/quote]

That makes it useless.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 4 2004, 05:09 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Dec 4 2004, 09:06 AM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Dec 4 2004, 04:57 PM']Last night my kids insisted on Burger King.? She took us to a spot and then proudly announced "You have arrived".?? There was no BK to be seen.?? My only problem with the NAV Info is that it is so outdated that it can not be trusted.?? I had this issue in Europe as well.?? Reataurants that have been long gone for 3 years are still there.? Its very frustrating.
[snapback]64525[/snapback]
[/quote]

That makes it useless.
[snapback]64529[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not really, since some companys don't just pay, they also update the data.
You can also send an update to navtech on their website and let them know that the BK is gone. They will then remove it form the dataset and/or ask BK for an update.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

The make it sound exciting. I suspect that they're let down by the company who does the nav system.

1,135 additional hotels - now a total of 62.722 hotels
1,478 additional restaurants - now a total of 140,422 restaurants
89,844 additional destinations - now a total of 797,620 destinations
2,383 additional petrol stations - now a total of 81,312 petrol stations
1,978 BMW Partner
I've had a quick play with the "information". Seems to be quite comprehensive. But yes, it is out of date. Even my car (3 weeks old), refers to a local petrol station which changed hands 2 years ago.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

BTW, I still prefer the Audi system, which has icons on the map. More useful I think.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Dec 4 2004, 05:16 PM
BTW, I still prefer the Audi system, which has icons on the map. More useful I think.
[snapback]64534[/snapback]
Search for a gas station but don't enter one as destination and you'll then see icons on your map (if you have nav pro).

Quick Reply: Satnav - local information